Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Countdown 3 - Begins. Scandinavia 2019

I hope you enjoyed the freedom of movement and frictionless borders inside a united Europe!
Frictionless, my a**e.
Passport checks on the German Danish Border, together with Passport checks + vehicle check on the Danish Swedish Border and the Swedish Norwegian Border.
So much for the Schengen area freedom of movement and Frictionless Borders.
My understanding of that is that once I have completed the checks etc: on getting off the Ferry in Holland then that should have been it.Seems EU member states don't trust each other.:shocked

Frictionless, my a**e.
Passport checks on the German Danish Border, together with Passport checks + vehicle check on the Danish Swedish Border and the Swedish Norwegian Border.
So much for the Schengen area freedom of movement and Frictionless Borders.
My understanding of that is that once I have completed the checks etc: on getting off the Ferry in Holland then that should have been it.Seems EU member states don't trust each other.:shocked
Did you have the same checks on the return: Norway to Sweden, Sweden to Denmark, Denmark to Germany?

Did you have the same checks on the return: Norway to Sweden, Sweden to Denmark, Denmark to Germany?
No, but there should have been no reason for such checks either way as all countries mentioned are signatories to the Schengen Agreement, unless of course the EU Border countries are not doing the job properly.

No, but there should have been no reason for such checks either way as all countries mentioned are signatories to the Schengen Agreement, unless of course the EU Border countries are not doing the job properly.

Or unless something is worrying them that has originated within the EU. (i.e. not related to EU border countries, as is the case for a vast majority of EU crime both within countries and cross-border.)

"Any person, irrespective of nationality, may cross the internal borders without being subjected to border checks. However, the competent national authorities can carry out police checks also at the internal borders and in border areas, provided that such checks are not equivalent to border checks. This is valid for cases when, in particular, the checks do not have border control as an objective and are based on general police information and experience. It's also valid when the checks are carried out in a manner clearly distinct from systematic border checks and on the basis of spot-checks. Under such circumstances, the police may for example ask you to identify yourself or pose questions regarding your stay, depending on the purpose of the check."

I've been stopped several times in France on A20, A71 and A10 once by police and twice by customs (duane)

Must have been your GB plate. French people I know went across the Northern countries without a hitch.
Yeah, funny that. Coaches from Germany, Denmark and vehicles from Sweden, Denmark, Germany and the Netherlands were being searched, boots open, rear doors all passengers out. Me, checked passport, looked inside vehicle through windows and on my way.

Just accept it. Whatever happens in the future nothing is going to change . Passport check on entering the Schengen Area and then drive. The fact that Schengen countries don’t trust their neighbours to abide by the rules isn’t going to change and probably get worse as time goes by.

Or unless something is worrying them that has originated within the EU. (i.e. not related to EU border countries, as is the case for a vast majority of EU crime both within countries and cross-border.)

"Any person, irrespective of nationality, may cross the internal borders without being subjected to border checks. However, the competent national authorities can carry out police checks also at the internal borders and in border areas, provided that such checks are not equivalent to border checks. This is valid for cases when, in particular, the checks do not have border control as an objective and are based on general police information and experience. It's also valid when the checks are carried out in a manner clearly distinct from systematic border checks and on the basis of spot-checks. Under such circumstances, the police may for example ask you to identify yourself or pose questions regarding your stay, depending on the purpose of the check."
Well if that was the case their information and response wasn’t very well targeted as everyone was being stopped. Coaches were being emptied, car boots checked, van rear doors opened etc: they just checked my passport and looked into the van through the windows.

In short; i's about immigrants and the "flood of people" that came at once so the Danes started with the boarder controls and then Sweden... you get the deal. Now let's not lose this thread to politics :)

While checking what the Toll was for the Oresund Bridge, Copenhagen to Malmo, I found you could purchase a ticket, single or return ( return valid for upto 30 days ) On-Line at a Discount.of about 10%.
Anyone interested details here.

Price list here.

We are planning a Norway & Sweden trip for next year and are currently comparing different bridge and ferry options, and it would be good to know if a Cali get classed as a camper or a <6m car as it doubles the price.

When we used the bridge many years ago in our old Ducato based van we got charged different rates each way because we were close to the 6m long and on the way out they said the bikes took it over 6m the way back they said we were less than 6m.

We are planning a Norway & Sweden trip for next year and are currently comparing different bridge and ferry options, and it would be good to know if a Cali get classed as a camper or a <6m car as it doubles the price.

When we used the bridge many years ago in our old Ducato based van we got charged different rates each way because we were close to the 6m long and on the way out they said the bikes took it over 6m the way back they said we were less than 6m.

We drove over and got charged about 64€ One way last september...i got a feeling they ripped me off...

I just did it Online and just drove across in the 30km 2m lane used by the tag customers.
140.8 DKK for a return trip within 30 days.

I just did it Online and just drove across in the 30km 2m lane used by the tag customers.
140.8 DKK for a return trip within 30 days.
That sounds too good to be true 140.8DKK is just over £16.
I'd be happy to pay that each way.
When we did it before it we were charged about €50 and €80

That sounds too good to be true 140.8DKK is just over £16.
I'd be happy to pay that each way.
When we did it before it we were charged about €50 and €80
Sorry my mistake , the total was 704DKK the 140 was the VAT.

We go there many times every year and we take the ferry Helsingör Helsingborg everytime. Drive the beatiful Strandveien from Copenhagen to Helsingör.

We go there many times every year and we take the ferry Helsingör Helsingborg everytime. Drive the beatiful Strandveien from Copenhagen to Helsingör.
I think it was you who advised we did that. The coast road was wonderful.

This will be my 3rd trip. Visited Knordkapp in 2015 travelling via Sweden. Tromso and the Lofoten Islands + The Atlantic Highway in 2017 and driving down through Norway. This year concentrating on the Southern half.
Hi Welsh gas
Been reading your write up of your first trip out up to the Nord kapp
We were thinking of doing the same, the fasted route up, then a return route along the coastal road for the sights of Norway, we have 4 weeks in September, could I ask how many days it took to drive up to the top?
We are two drivers so could do longish days
One last question, what gas bottle did you use, for a replacement or did you take a spare
Thanks for your inspiring writevup
Ps we are catching ferry from Newcastle across to Holland as live up north

Hi Welsh gas
We were thinking of doing the same, the fasted route up, then a return route along the coastal road for the sights of Norway, we have 4 weeks in September, could I ask how many days it took to drive up to the top?
One last question, what gas bottle did you use, for a replacement or did you take a spare
We had five weeks in Norway a few years ago and didn't empty one 907 bottle even though we wild camped most of the time with a campsite every few days. We did take a spare but completely unnecessary as the campsites all have kitchen facilities.

Hi Welsh gas
It took 6 days of driving significant distances to get to Knordkapp.
See Countdown 4.
This was in May and roads very quiet , just the weather was a little crazy in 2022.
I used a 904. Worked fine with outside temperatures down to -7c but had a 907 as spare which I had to change to after 18 days on the 904.
Parking Heater in use whenever not driving.
Previous trips a full 907 covered 3 weeks in Scandinavia plus a good few weeks back home.
All Scandinavian campsites have communal cooking and dining facilities for free and mainly use electric or induction hobs, normally both available.

You might want to consider this Ferry to cut out 3 days of driving + 2 Danish Toll Bridges.

We had five weeks in Norway a few years ago and didn't empty one 907 bottle even though we wild camped most of the time with a campsite every few days. We did take a spare but completely unnecessary as the campsites all have kitchen facilities.
Good to know about gas use thanks

It took 6 days of driving significant distances to get to Knordkapp.
See Countdown 4.
This was in May and roads very quiet , just the weather was a little crazy in 2022.
I used a 904. Worked fine with outside temperatures down to -7c but had a 907 as spare which I had to change to after 18 days on the 904.
Parking Heater in use whenever not driving.
Previous trips a full 907 covered 3 weeks in Scandinavia plus a good few weeks back home.
All Scandinavian campsites have communal cooking and dining facilities for free and mainly use electric or induction hobs, normally both available.

You might want to consider this Ferry to cut out 3 days of driving + 2 Danish Toll Bridges.

That is great info thank you, really helps with planning, I read you fuelled up most days, so assuming there are enough fuel stations, and won’t need a Jerry can? ours is a 4 motion too so 70 litre tank, range about 400 miles plus we will be using night heater in September

That is great info thank you, really helps with planning, I read you fuelled up most days, so assuming there are enough fuel stations, and won’t need a Jerry can? ours is a 4 motion too so 70 litre tank, range about 400 miles plus we will be using night heater in September
I always filled up before stopping for the night, and started looking when the fuel gauge got to 50%.
Got caught out on one trip to Norway, the garage computer system had failed so they couldn’t dispense any fuel. 60 miles to next garage and Dashboard display said 80 miles range so I took a chance. 3 Motorhomes were parked at the garage as they didn’t have enough fuel to get to the next garage.

I always filled up before stopping for the night, and started looking when the fuel gauge got to 50%.
Got caught out on one trip to Norway, the garage computer system had failed so they couldn’t dispense any fuel. 60 miles to next garage and Dashboard display said 80 miles range so I took a chance. 3 Motorhomes were parked at the garage as they didn’t have enough fuel to get to the next garage.
The quickest route to Knordkapp is via Sweden and Finland.
See Countdown 1 thread.