Road Trip - France, Spain, Portugal

Day 47
Collioure and Castelnou
We planned to visit Perpignan today, but woke up and decided we couldn’t be arśed to walk round a city, so had a morning in Collioure followed by a trip to Castelnou, nice mountain castle village thing that’s been converted into basically an art shop. Nice though and very chill. Narbonne tomorrow…probably.
If you fancy a ride out a little further Carcassonne old town is stunning, can park overnight for free as well in the top bus/motor home car park right outside the old town. New town is good too, but not seen an overnight park there. A bit like a small village within the walls.

IMG_5548.jpeg

Day 47
Collioure and Castelnou
We planned to visit Perpignan today, but woke up and decided we couldn’t be arśed to walk round a city, so had a morning in Collioure followed by a trip to Castelnou, nice mountain castle village thing that’s been converted into basically an art shop. Nice though and very chill. Narbonne tomorrow…probably.
Wow the mention of Perpignan takes me back 40+ years when I caught a coach from London with my BF at the time to go grape picking near Perpignan. There were no grapes so we spent nights sharing a massive room in a hostel with quite a few others before hitch hiking round France and Spain. Some interesting times on that trip!!! I arrived home and my Mother took one look at me, ran a hot bath. Decontaminated my clothes and I slept for 24 hours.
Oh to have owned a van then!!!!!

Wow the mention of Perpignan takes me back 40+ years when I caught a coach from London with my BF at the time to go grape picking near Perpignan. There were no grapes so we spent nights sharing a massive room in a hostel with quite a few others before hitch hiking round France and Spain. Some interesting times on that trip!!! I arrived home and my Mother took one look at me, ran a hot bath. Decontaminated my clothes and I slept for 24 hours.
Oh to have owned a van then!!!!!
Ah, you never forget adventures like that.

Hot bath, yes please.

Day 46
Collioure, France.
Bonjour. We are back in France and immediately everything is more civilised, the difference is striking. An early start allowed us to spend most of our day in Collioure which is very lovely, (Thank you for the recommendations). I suppose it’s still quite touristy, but it’s been very tastefully done. Stripey sailor tops are de rigueur. We are staying at campsite ‘les Criques de Porteils’, nice site with terraces overlooking the sea. Feels a bit cooler, but weather today very good.

View attachment 130123
Bon vacances! There’s a rather lovely restaurant with a terrace at the far end of the cove (to your right looking out to sea)

Day 47
Collioure and Castelnou
If you go to Narbonne, Les Halles (the food halls), are worth an hour or so if food is a thing for you.

There’s an ex rugby player there who runs a steak frites joint. When you order, the butchers (vache or cheval), chuck the meat across the market.

He barks the orders out through a megaphone. Great theatre.

Enroute from Narbonne up toward Beziers & the A75, there is a nice town on the Canal du Midi - Capestang. You will find one of the finest patisseries in France there on the square next to the church.

Buy a cake or pastry & head to one of the bars on the square & enjoy!

Up the road is a lovely chateau that’s been turned into a restaurant & houses/flats. Chateau Les Carrasses. Lovely views over vines from the terrace

Back