Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sat Nav Names

• Thread starter TwentyOneThirtyFive
  • Start date
Our satnav is Jane of course with a little help from maps.me when needed. Actually being serious maps.me is brilliant if you use paper maps which we do and then find you're not quite sure exactly where you've ended up. Just press the button (assuming you've downloaded the maps of course) and you can see exactly where you are. It's even brilliant when you are hiking as it has footpaths marked.

Now as for the most westerly point in Britain, I'm not going to mention it because I want it to be as empty as I remember it from 40 years ago....

Now as for the most westerly point in Britain, I'm not going to mention it because I want it to be as empty as I remember it from 40 years ago....

It was empty when I was there but then there had been no power in the area for five days due to the weather,

and worse was following...

Ardnamurchan point.jpg

Looks familiar. :thumb

Although I can't see the golden sands... But then in that weather....

A bit off topic but my cousin told me they have a marina at Mallaig these days. What in the world are things coming to... My abiding memories of Mallaig are our car being hoisted (yes pre roro days) onto the ferry and a seagull trying to eat a kipper whole. Think we still have cine film of that. Great times.

Our SatNav doesn't really have a name. We have a female voice as it seems less strident than the male alternative. She is generally fairly chatty all round England offering updates on delays to our route and suggesting alternative that are (may) be as much as 3 minutes faster.
She reads out street names and place names, sounding a little posh at times, with some of them not being quite as locals would say it.
When I went Westwards over the Severn Bridge she was less chatty keeping her advice to "left in 100 yards" etc. Then, after an update, she had a stab at Abergavenny and Gilwern. She got them nearly right, and after a couple more updates she was getting better. Sensibly she didn't try Dolgellau, but I thought we were making good progress. Until we got to Bala. She instructed me to turn next left into Ffrydan Road and helpfully tried to spell it out for me. By the time she had finished I was through it and into the next road. She then sulked for the rest of the journey. She has never spelt out a name before or since.
Peace and marital harmony reigns as we can disagree with her and she doesn't answer back, so far she hasn't got out and said "find your own way".

We won't tell you what we called ours when it took us through Downtown Marseille in rush hour! What an adventure though. Huge cruise ships. Peage toll booths every now and then and endless tunnels. So much fun we swapped drivers literally in the vieux port :shocked :mute :Nailbiting

Back