Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Skiing in Scotland?

That photo was the topper's first outing recently and I highly rate it - massive difference in a more even heat in the van - heater at 2 all night and plenty warm enough for four.

We keep our own ski gear for flexibility on what we want to do given the conditions - board, alpine ski or tour ski and general ease of getting on the slopes quickly as you say. We do rent if the kids come out with us - Braemar has a great set up in the village hall run by Cycle Highlands out of Ballater. Highly rate it..

It does get nice there too you know.. I get it guys I really do - its not the best weather but when it does oblige its magical. Sure - its nice being on a big continent and getting more consistent, extreme weather but it is what it is - check what you can and remember we are all going out there in a pretty fit for purpose rig for all extremes... Enjoy - any help for whats up here just shout...

Thank you, lovely post, very kind.

We actually lived in the Central Belt for 11 years & have since moved to Wales, where husband can get out walking more easily, so I don't think we will trek to Skye again. It was an entire week of sideways, heavy rain.

Really miss Scotland tho! So, I'm quietly very happy the in-laws are moving back to the Borders, so we can a) actually use our van for camping & b) get husband back up there. He was a bit scarred by the weather, particularly the 6 weeks we were snowed in, despite living in a town. (-:

We stayed up at Glenshee few years ago.
£5 a night with the hookup. You need to get there in good time to get one unless it's changed now as there were only five when we were there.
View attachment 28108
love that pic. are the skis clamped to the bike rack with owt special?

No nothing special. It's a Fiamma bike rack I picked up for twenty quid, took the bike stands off and bolted Thule ski clamps that we used on the roof bars on the car.
Worked a treat for minimal cost.

No nothing special. It's a Fiamma bike rack I picked up for twenty quid, took the bike stands off and bolted Thule ski clamps that we used on the roof bars on the car.
never knew such things existed. cheers. now I don't want to get into a ski snowboarding argument here, but do they do a snowboard one?

I clamp my snowboard the same way, on to vw bike rack great way to save space.

@briwy do you know which Fiamma bike rack you have. I think I may try and copy you. The alternative is travelling with the bed down (if its just my daughter and I) and having skis on the bed and putting them under the van at night. Did you notice any wind noise?

Rather than on the bed....could you remove the drawer panel to utilise the long load space in the boot?

@briwy do you know which Fiamma bike rack you have. I think I may try and copy you. The alternative is travelling with the bed down (if its just my daughter and I) and having skis on the bed and putting them under the van at night. Did you notice any wind noise?

The best British ski areas are all Scottish! Scotland is great for a ski holiday when it's a good snow year. Scotland offers some great opportunities for winter sports, skiing and snowboarding. Interesting activity always!

Last year I did take the van to France. I drove down to London for a night on the awful M1. Got up at 6am the next day and by 6pm I was in Samoen. Great trip. But a different adventure.

As I have a California I’d like to try Scotland (without midges!) I live in North Yorkshire so I could feasibly be up to Glenshee in 6 hours.

Thanks for the tips so far and great photo @briwy !! What did you use the hook up for? Not the fridge!!

Sugar bowl carpark Avimore great place to stay wild (ish) camp, protection enough from the winds, Easy enough to walk/ski to the start of the runs, weather no good for piste skiing plenty of options to climb/snow shoe/Ski tour and you get to see the reindeer!

It’s not strictly legal overnight camping however I’ve camped 100 plus times over the years in winter there, met the guys clearing the road, local police and no one is bothered about. Just pay the duty pound for parking.

I ski in Scotland whenever I can, the problem is you can never plan a ski holiday here, you have to just watch the weather and snow condition reports and pick a window, normally at a couple of days notice. You have to just pick the best location for snow conditions and weather then head there.

Our favourite is Glencoe, limited hook ups but plenty parking without, showers, drying room, toilets and chemical toilet waste disposal, the cafe has a big log burner and does food and drink until 8.30 in the evening, free WiFi, good way to spend the evening out the van.

Cairngorm has lost much of its appeal since the funicular railway stopped due to structural issues, uplift now very limited and since best snow is on top you have a big problem getting to it.

Glenshee is good for skiing but nothing to do after skiing stops, the campsite at Breamar is open all year with places to eat and drink nearby but you have to drive to the ski centre every day.

Nevis Range also provides good skiing with plenty flat parking but no hook ups.

Useful websites we use are are:

Have snow tyres but no 4WD, never needed it, carry chains just in case I need them. Local roads departments are very good at keeping the roads open in my opinion.

Some Glencoe photos to whet your appetite.

P2050249.JPG

P2050254.JPG

P1190217.JPG

P1190210a.jpg

Last edited:
You gotta be desperate to ski up there.
It takes a day to drive there and to be honest, you can get down to parts of France in a few hours more. Where the conditions, skiing and weather are ten fold better.
Only takes just over 2 hours drive from my house, Glencoe is 2 1/2 hrs before I had the van used to just go for the day, not so desperate for those of us who live much closer. We also love skiing in the Alps lol.

Only takes just over 2 hours drive from my house, Glencoe is 2 1/2 hrs before I had the van used to just go for the day, not so desperate for those of us who live much closer. We also love skiing in the Alps lol.

Fair comment.
I would probably hit the Highlands to, if it was only a couple of hours away.
Unfortunately, it’s 8hrs from here. That’s a big chunk of the way to Chamonix...