Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Seat Rail Fixings

CannonDale

CannonDale

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Some of you might be interested in this if you want to make something and fit it to the seat rails. I got two of these from Breeze Totton, £27
I will be making a bike rack that fits inside.Screen Shot 2017-03-03 at 12.48.02.png

Reactions: DM
Thanks for posting this. I need to sort something for a road bike (C'dale Synapse) for my Ocean when it arrives (hopefully before end of March as it is in transit). How will you sort the bike rack, please?

Thanks for posting this. I need to sort something for a road bike (C'dale Synapse) for my Ocean when it arrives (hopefully before end of March as it is in transit). How will you sort the bike rack, please?
Hi, I have a Supersix Evo which I don't want to put on the outside bike rack because in the wet all the mud that would go on the tailgate goes on the bike but I will lock the bike to the rack once at site. I will be using a board that goes across the rear of the cali with one of the clips each end going into the seat rail. I will fix a fork holder to the board and also a chain holder keep the chain tensioned when the back wheel is removed. the chain holder will mount on a block that is high enough to raise the front chainring about an inch off the board. I will post a picture when it is made.Screen Shot 2017-03-03 at 13.34.45.pngScreen Shot 2017-03-03 at 13.40.06.png

Another interested party is seeing pictures of the finished article.I have used those fittings to fix a kitchen pod down to the floor rails. Did you also get the plastic fittings that sit on the rail?
Is the bike going to be fixed transverse across the van (living are) or longitudinally sliding the bench forward or back?
With a Beach a bike can be put in the van (front wheel off) either on the multiflex board or if the bench seat is moved forward it will slide under the multiflex board. On a 2 seater bench with the lower board this only works with a bike without mudguards.

Another interested party is seeing pictures of the finished article.I have used those fittings to fix a kitchen pod down to the floor rails. Did you also get the plastic fittings that sit on the rail?
Is the bike going to be fixed transverse across the van (living are) or longitudinally sliding the bench forward or back?
With a Beach a bike can be put in the van (front wheel off) either on the multiflex board or if the bench seat is moved forward it will slide under the multiflex board. On a 2 seater bench with the lower board this only works with a bike without mudguards.
The bike will be going across the van with wheels off in the back, behind the multiflex board. I did not get the plastic fittings for the rail but I will put stick some rubber handlebar tape to the underside of the board to protect the rails. I am making it to take two bikes but could easily get 5 bikes in with the seat forwards. My usual car is a Zafira, I Screen Shot 2017-03-03 at 14.41.52.png can get three bikes in the boot and still seat 5 people.

Last edited:
Having a closer look at the photo of the rail fixing I think I can see what you are doing. Normally the spring is the other side (to the left) of the mid spacer/washer and the spacer/washer is the other way round (groove on the T side rather than knob side). The spring then sits in a matching groove in the plastic part your not using. Only potential issue you might have is you will be clamping up against the fully compressed spring. Maybe add a collar or tube if this is an issue. Probably unnecessary for this sort of low force application. Or even dispense with the spring all together.
Think you have the 3 seater Beach where as I have the 2 seater. On the 2 seater I can put a bike rack on quicker than removing the (not at all flexible) multiflex board! Hence the bikes either go on a rack or flat on/under the multiflex.

Having a closer look at the photo of the rail fixing I think I can see what you are doing. Normally the spring is the other side (to the left) of the mid spacer/washer and the spacer/washer is the other way round (groove on the T side rather than knob side). The spring then sits in a matching groove in the plastic part your not using. Only potential issue you might have is you will be clamping up against the fully compressed spring. Maybe add a collar or tube if this is an issue. Probably unnecessary for this sort of low force application. Or even dispense with the spring all together.
Think you have the 3 seater Beach where as I have the 2 seater. On the 2 seater I can put a bike rack on quicker than removing the (not at all flexible) multiflex board! Hence the bikes either go on a rack or flat on/under the multiflex.
You are correct, I don't need the spring.

Hi, I have a Supersix Evo which I don't want to put on the outside bike rack because in the wet all the mud that would go on the tailgate goes on the bike but I will lock the bike to the rack once at site. I will be using a board that goes across the rear of the cali with one of the clips each end going into the seat rail. I will fix a fork holder to the board and also a chain holder keep the chain tensioned when the back wheel is removed. the chain holder will mount on a block that is high enough to raise the front chainring about an inch off the board. I will post a picture when it is made.View attachment 19536View attachment 19537

Hello,

Did you ever manage to post a picture of the completed build. Do you remove both wheels or just the back wheel ? Is the van long enough with the seats pushed forward to only have to remove one wheel ?

Many thanks

Hello,

Did you ever manage to post a picture of the completed build. Do you remove both wheels or just the back wheel ? Is the van long enough with the seats pushed forward to only have to remove one wheel ?

Many thanks
Hi, no I have not made it yet due to time but I did take my bike to France in the van, put it upside down so resting on saddle and handlebars and it can go across the width of the van and you only need to remove the front wheel. I did wonder if there is any need to actually make a rack but i do have all the bits to do it.

Hi, no I have not made it yet due to time but I did take my bike to France in the van, put it upside down so resting on saddle and handlebars and it can go across the width of the van and you only need to remove the front wheel. I did wonder if there is any need to actually make a rack but i do have all the bits to do it.

Many thanks for your reply. Quite like the idea of the rack myself and had thought of removing the front wheel and clamping it into an elevated clamp to make the overall length of the bike slightly shorter so I can fit it in easily length wise. Distance from back of bed to rear door is apparently 1500mm and I need just slightly more than that to fit bike in with wheel off. Thanks

Many thanks for your reply. Quite like the idea of the rack myself and had thought of removing the front wheel and clamping it into an elevated clamp to make the overall length of the bike slightly shorter so I can fit it in easily length wise. Distance from back of bed to rear door is apparently 1500mm and I need just slightly more than that to fit bike in with wheel off. Thanks
I looked at that but I think it is easier to put them across the van facing alternate ways to each other and that is how I would make the rack except they would be upright instead of upside down

Rack would be similar to this but elevate the rear slightly to raise the chainring or just leave the back wheel on.Screen Shot 2017-04-06 at 17.21.33.png

Hi. I have tried to get hold of these fittings but the spares bod could not track them down using what looked like the part number on your photo. Would you be able to let me know any more details/ item description/ part number if you get a chance, please.

Hi. I have tried to get hold of these fittings but the spares bod could not track them down using what looked like the part number on your photo. Would you be able to let me know any more details/ item description/ part number if you get a chance, please.

Screen Shot 2017-04-19 at 19.05.06.png

Thanks both. No stock in UK from VW spares dealer. Ordered the e bay ones - your photo is what I had in mind cobbling together.

The mounts that I used I already had they are what you use to fix to a pick up bed so I just attached a piece of plywood but did have the intention of changing to a nice bit of ally plate - just not got round to it.

With my setup you can put a road or MTB in with the rear wheel attached assuming you have the 3 bench Beach option.

Hope your setup works out.

Cheers
Ian

I got one of these to secure a bike inside my ocean.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00PC8T2NG/?tag=eliteelect-21

It doesn't need to be secured. Fits perfectly with the parcel shelf removed and front seat pushed right forward. You'll need to remove the front stop.
Hi, another member of the Canondale clan here. I've got an Ocean with a rear rack but would like to transport/store my bike inside sometimes. You say that the Minoura device doesn't need to be secured but what stops it moving about?

Back