Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Service Plan - Worth It?

R

RubyCoast2021

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
We have a 2021 Coast (150 Auto) that we bought at around 12 months old. The dealer serviced it before handover, and as the first anniversary is coming up so has a service reminder arrived. We're on fixed servicing which I'm happy with and she has <7000 miles on the clock over the first 2 years.

The VW commercial service plans site currently states "We’ve fixed Service Plan prices until 3rd April 2023 Take out a Fixed Price Service Plan for your vehicle before prices rise on 3rd April 2023" and is quoting me £635 or 24 * £26 to cover one interim, one full and one MOT.

As I have no experience of the service pricing I can't tell if this gives me any meaningful benefit other than spreading the cost, plus I have no idea if the 3rd April price rise is actually a thing?

Regretting not taking the 25% discount offer from last year, do these come around often?

Depends if you have just the 3 year or longer warranty?
If 3 years, just pay for one service & when your warranty is due to expire move onto the All-in scheme which gives you breakdown cover, servicing and an extended warranty for not much more than the service cost.

That's a great shout, thanks. Yes it's just on the 3 year as far as I know.

Cost wise you only save about 50 quid on the services paid separate. Saves you from cost increases though. You get two from recollection. I always buy them, less for the saving, just to have it paid and out the way. Have for Cali and Tiguan and just renew when they run out.

Last edited:
I spoke to Birmingham about this today. Their opinion was that the package did just one thing, it shields you from the quarterly price increases.
Personally I’ve never been a big fan of dealer services and would rather use my own man.

I have just finished a service plan and will not renew. No saving at all as I have to drive 30 miles each way to VW. Have a great local man that has serviced another vehicle for some time now - does a good job. Uses genuine parts.

Van coming up 5 years Old
pre paid services used up over that period, extended warranty ends in Two days time, VW assist ends two days time.
,2 years VW assist, 2 MOTs & two services I will be taking the all In Warranty (renew on last day of existing warranty) for a further two years peace of mind & future price security (vw servicing has gone insane Recently)

For all other work I will offer the dealer to price match Indie or I will be going to an indie.

Just a note about servicing - outside warranty, fill your boots - if you have a great local shop, use it. Inside though just be wary about warranty. Technically (block exemption rules) any dealer can service any car, but they must service to the exact same standards as a main dealer and use genuine parts, even down to same grease and lubricants. If you have any warranty claims VW will push back hard if it's not in house serviced, even more so if they can in any way argue that the failure is due to the non VW work. Irrespective of if their own dealers are pants or not.

Having ran OEM warranty I've always taken the position of pay a little more for main dealer inside warranty to save in the longer term if something goes massively belly up. The service plan is no massive saving, but it does just get it out the way for me so I don't have to think about it.

Back