Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Should I have 1 or 2 heaters?

Auxiliary Heater or Parking Heater is an Air Heater for the passenger compartment. Diesel powered, located on the Drivers side, below the floor. On the SE this is controlled from the roof Control Panel. Also has its own Remote Control.

The Coolant heater is also Diesel powered, located on the opposite side to the air heater. Plumbed into the engine coolant system and fires up automatically if the ambient temperature is 5c or less and is used to speed up engine warm up.

It would appear, from other VW vehicle Forums, that the Coolant heater, a Webasto, is part of the BlueMotion Package.

Last edited:
Is the 'auxiliary coolant heater' the type of heater fitted in the coolant system in cold countries where you plug a vehicle in to the mains electric during the night to keep the oil and water systems from freezing and an easier time for the battery in the morning? Just a thought.

Yes Snow55, that is the version for cold climates. Our vehicles have the automatic version that comes on below 5 degrees.

I don't think that the Webasto coolant heater is a user option, it is fitted to enhance the warm-up time of the engine. My understanding it is fitted to do that to improve emission figures and / or consumption figures possibly to enhance the normal cab heater in some climatic conditions. Maybe an automatic fitment if the spec is 'Blue Motion' associated with certain or all engine options. I had a 2002 T4 window van with a 102ps engine, that came with a coolant heater as standard for some reason but it did have an additional water type heater for the rear passenger area. Neither of my three T5s (174ps, 140ps & 180ps all manual gearbox non Blue Motion) have had one.

The normal understanding of Auxiliary Heater, Cab Heater or Night Heater depending on your terminology is the blown air heater which is a user option with various control options depending on the vehicle model and specification. The factory fitted blown air heater on a T5 can be either Eberspacher or Webasto depending on manufacturing period of the vehicle, usually being 3.5kW output. After market ones are often 2.0kW Airtronic Eberspacher as they are an easily available option.

Rod

image.jpg Just to add to this, this picture is the standard features on an SE which shows that the parking heater is standard equipment listed under "Interior - Cab Area" so a SE should have both heaters as standard and a Beach has the Auxillary as standard and a parking heater as an option.

Yes Snow55, that is the version for cold climates. Our vehicles have the automatic version that comes on below 5 degrees.

I didn't mean a heater using diesel which only comes on when the vehicle engine has been started I meant a heating system using mains electric with elements in the sump and radiator, what do VW call that system?
Is it this system that is causing the confusion, perhaps one of our Scandinavian members could help.

Is the 'auxiliary coolant heater' the type of heater fitted in the coolant system in cold countries where you plug a vehicle in to the mains electric during the night to keep the oil and water systems from freezing and an easier time for the battery in the morning? Just a thought.
Not the same as an Engine Block Heater which keeps the Block warm to stop everything freezing in extremes. The Auxiliary Coolant Heater only fires up when the engine starts and helps the engine warm up quicker to aid emissions. A Diesel is considered a "Cool" engine compared with a Petrol engine.

View attachment 10817 Just to add to this, this picture is the standard features on an SE which shows that the parking heater is standard equipment listed under "Interior - Cab Area" so a SE should have both heaters as standard and a Beach has the Auxillary as standard and a parking heater as an option.
Could be wrong but I think the SE will only have both heaters IF it also has BlueMotion.

My Beach is Bluemotion, is yours Bigted? This might be the difference if Welshgas is correct.

Now I"m confused - my van is bluemotion yet no webasco coolant heater is fitted as that's the one missing underneth

The production codes comparison between our Cali's will have to hold the answer to this conundrum then.

This is the June 2014 options price list - my van has the parking heater without remote. The description talks of 2 heater - what is the second one?
image.png

The Webasto Coolant Heater. Automatically comes on if Temp 5c or less to get engine to operating temperature quickly.

Appears to be a Beach option which is not on yours, unless options changed in 2015.

Since adding an auxiliary heater isn't on your options list for the SE I would say that you (with an SE) should have 2 heaters one of which is designed to heat the engine in cold conditions when driving. Sounds like you are being spun a line to me. Can vwcs explain how the air heater you do have will help heat the engine?
On the blue motion question my Beach is not blue motion but does have the auxiliary (coolant) heater. Had a look at the 2012 brochure, the aux heater isn't at option at all in that year. It was discussed a bit on here years ago and there was at least one member with a blue motion Beach who didn't have either heater.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Both were std on our 2011 model.
I know the coolant heater works on auto because after leaving the vehicle outside one very cold evening last year, bought the vehicle into the internal garage, switched engine off and 30 seconds later could smell the exhaust fumes from the heater, no noise mind you - just exhaust fumes!
Note that I have seen the stickers one on each of the front doors on another older Cali...

We ordered in march 2014 and ordered (I think) the slightly cheaper option. After much waiting we found out in July that that option wasn't possible, the factory had decided to build our van without an auxiliary heater and no one bothered to tell us!!!

We had to re-order because even though it was 2 months to the build the factory couldn't add the more expensive heater to our spec. We went back to square one and reordered with compensation from VWCS and Leicester VC.

At the time we heard there were a number (we heard in the 20s) of orders in the same boat. I have no idea if anyone else was actually informed that their order had been changed in this way. If you look back you can see my post on all of this.

To cut a long story short, the options list in the foto above was if I remember correctly the one we were working from.

Ours is a 2 seated Beach btw.

I can't check exactly what we ordered on the first order as we're in Borneo for the next couple of weeks but if folks are interested I'll check when we get back.

I think the factory must have been sleeping in 2014, we bought a second hand beach that has 2 heaters but no aircon which should have been a standard fitting but was deleted for some reason

Rich20 also has a MY 2015 beach like mine with both the heaters fitted. I'm going to get VW to compare the production codes as if they are the same MY (model year) and have the same heater option then surely the should be the same.

Wow
This is all really confusing. I was under the impression that all California's came with the coolant heater as standard, the parking heater was an option.

I know mine has it (2012 build) and it's also classed as a blue-motion. I never had any idea why it was a blue-motion, but perhaps it was because of the coolant diesel heater as Welshgas and Rod have mentioned.

Hi just to confuse things... Ordered are beach Sept 2013 built Nov 2013 delivered Jan 2014 HAS Webasto Thermo top was standard didn't order it, JED is Bluemotion with 3 zone Climate.

Also if you have the Webasto coolant heater it can be upgraded to a parking heater (ie can turn on with remote and pre heat inside without engine on) Don't think upgrade is available through VW but is through Webasto dealer...

Apparrently VWCS says mine should only have the one heater. The webasto coolent heater only became standard on the beach from week 44 2014 and mine it seem was built before this. It has code 7VA heating fitted.

Has anyone with a 2014 beach older than week 44 and no added heating options got a wabasto coolant heater?

Sorry, I made a mistake.

Mine one, a Cali Beach 2015 got two of them because I've got the OPTIONAL auxiliary heater.

The water coolant one is always included and it's the Webasto one. The parking heater (air heater) was OPTIONAL and it's an Eberspatcher.

I know that from some date backwards VW used to install a Webasto parking heater and the changed to Eberspatcher.

So it's possible your Cali one comes with the Webasto coolant heater if it was not ordered with the optional air heater.

Sorry, I made a mistake.

Mine one, a Cali Beach 2015 got two of them because I've got the OPTIONAL auxiliary heater.

The water coolant one is always included and it's the Webasto one. The parking heater (air heater) was OPTIONAL and it's an Eberspatcher.

I know that from some date backwards VW used to install a Webasto parking heater and the changed to Eberspatcher.

So it's possible your Cali one comes with the Webasto coolant heater if it was not ordered with the optional air heater.
Hi estresao

Mine has the Eberspacher air heater option but the Wabesto engine coolant heater.