Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Should there be sludge in my oil filler?!

Mine does this, its emulsion and as previouse have said its caused by condensation, used to run a Triump motor cycle which was really bad using Duchams oil.

I suspected due to the cooler temperatures that I might start seeing this occur so I decided to have a look.

Sludge found:

20191117_145454.jpg

20191117_145457.jpg

I last checked 3 months ago and it was clear.

My tools for cleaning it are as follows:

1 old ankle sock.

20191117_145502.jpg

1 plastic spoon with a head bigger than the hole:

20191117_145505.jpg

Put spoon in to the sock, wrap the sock around it and twist around the oil filler pipe.

20191117_145631.jpg

20191117_145628.jpg

Job done.

If you are not losing coolant I expect it’s just condensation. I think it’s more likely if you tend to only do short journeys . How long has it taken to build up?

When mine was in for the MOT I checked exactly that with the technician and he said it is absolutely normal. With these engines the oil filler is the highest point and does suffer from condensation. Absolutely nothing to worry about I was told :)

There has been a number of post asking the same question. We do not get it on ours but we do a high mileage and use daily.

Hi
Hoping for some wisdom.
I have just been out to top the engine oil up on my 2019 150 Ocean with less than 4000 miles and found this sludge under the filler cap? If this was my Triumph I would be stripping it down to check the head and gasket but before I contact the dealers thought I would seek the invaluable wisdom of club members.

View attachment 54335
View attachment 54336
Normal. Needs to be used more.:thumb

Thanks all thought it might be condensation but wanted to check before contacting the dealer. I am reducing my working week soon so will hopefully be using a lot more.
Why not read this topic from the beginning and save yourself a wasted trip to the dealer.

Back