Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Should there be sludge in my oil filler?!

it looks like emulsified oil. which means water or damp causing it. it's probably just condensation collecting around the cap and the oil residue ends up like this. try an oil change. but definitely keep an eye on it. are you doing lots of short trips? I hear that can cause it. it's nothing to really worry about

I have experienced this on most of my vehicles I have owned and the only time it became an issue was when l discovered water bubbles on the oil dipstick
Keep an eye out on the coolant level markings as well

Alan

Heritage in Bristol said it was quite normal to have the sludge in the oil filler pipe. It was worse as the weather got colder as presumably the moisture in the oil had less chance to evaporate. I only use the Cali for trips over 30+ miles when the engine gets a chance to properly heat up.
From my experience, as posted on the link by @Meoncoast above, I would just check the cooling system header tank, just in case. I would guess that the extra problem I had is obviously not that rare an occurrence as they found the fault very quickly.
There has not been any reoccurrence of the problem and the coolant water is now clean.

i have this in mine as well, 3000 miles so far. Trip to Spain should cure it, just needs a good run for a long time

i have this in mine as well, 3000 miles so far. Trip to Spain should cure it, just needs a good run for a long time

Mine gets a good run, 170 miles from Snowdonia home, but the air temperature is still cold.
Your trip to Spain should benefit from warmer air and the long run.

Thanks everyone for your help. Coolant looks clear. The van only really does 200+ mile runs, so it's not short runs that seem to be causing this, but reassuring anyway that it's not an issue. Thanks again. Great forum!! :thanks

Heritage in Bristol said it was quite normal to have the sludge in the oil filler pipe.
Normal or did they mean common.
Seems to me like it´s another bollock dropped by VW.
I can´t see those engines doing 200k.

Normal as in not unusual and something not to be overly concerned about.
If you read the Threads in #24 & #30 it is explained by people who know about the subject and put into perspective.
The last section of the Technical Product Information Sheet April 2016 states:-

The big temperature difference of the filler cap to the remaining system oil circuit leads to increased condensed water formation on the filler neck. The oil sludge condensed water on the filler neck must therefore be regarded as normal. A repair is not necessary.

But the emulsion can also be caused by external water supply therefore the following point must also be observed to rule out other causes.

-Check the oil and coolant level-

Normal or did they mean common.
Seems to me like it´s another bollock dropped by VW.

No doubt about that, visible design flaw. Maybe it’s not serious, but as an engineer I don’t want to see water in the oil for any reason. Shouldn’t be a tough fix. Insulate the filler neck?

View attachment 20594 I have a 2016 T6 204 DSG Cali with only 6000 miles on the clock. I've just checked my oil level and for the first time in needed a small top up. I removed the oil filler cap to be confronted with this. A lot of sludge!. There is none on the dipstick. I've had a look on on T6 forums and apparently it is quite common due to condensation in the long filler neck. Is this true? I'm going to contact the dealer in the morning but I wondered if anyone on here has had the same issue.
Hi, I had the oil light come on in my T6 102 Beach after just 3 months, which I wasn't expecting. When I opened the filler cap today, I saw this. I was supposed to be taking the van on a trip tomorrow morning, but not going to start the engine again until I know what this is!

IMG_3901.JPG

Normal emulsified oil. This accumulates in the oil filler tube as it is the coolest place for condensation to collect and mix with oil fumes in the oil system.
Usually only seen in winter months and when there has been a good number of short runs. i.e. few if any long journeys have taken place. I just carefully clean it out from time to time. Nothing to be worried about.

Like Jabberwocky I just give it a clean out.

Not had to add any oil in 2 years, yearly oil change. I'd be worried if oil warning light on after 3 months although you don't say how many miles or if you do a regular check.

Normal emulsified oil. This accumulates in the oil filler tube as it is the coolest place for condensation to collect and mix with oil fumes in the oil system.
Usually only seen in winter months and when there has been a good number of short runs. i.e. few if any long journeys have taken place. I just carefully clean it out from time to time. Nothing to be worried about.
Thanks for the reassurance! So you just clear it out of the filler neck before topping up with oil? Vast majority of my journeys are 100mile+ M4 treks, with the odd short school run. Very disconcerting to see this in a modern engine barely broken in!

Like Jabberwocky I just give it a clean out.

Not had to add any oil in 2 years, yearly oil change. I'd be worried if oil warning light on after 3 months although you don't say how many miles or if you do a regular check.
Hi, it’s got about 6,500 miles, all done since I bought it new back in December. Admittedly I haven’t done an oil check, but I wouldn’t have expected to need to on a new engine with 20k service intervals. Thanks for responding!!!

Thanks for the reassurance! So you just clear it out of the filler neck before topping up with oil? Vast majority of my journeys are 100mile+ M4 treks, with the odd short school run. Very disconcerting to see this in a modern engine barely broken in!
Its because these new engines run cooler and the long plastic fillers allows the moisture to condense. Read the TSB in post 4 if you need reassuring.

So you just clear it out of the filler neck before topping up with oil?
Indeed, but not had to do this over this last winter.

Vast majority of my journeys are 100mile+ M4 treks, with the odd short school run.
I still wouldn't worry too much. As Loz says above check out the TSB in post #4. If you are still concerned a quick call/visit to VW dealer will almost certainly confirm all is OK.

Hi, it’s got about 6,500 miles, all done since I bought it new back in December. Admittedly I haven’t done an oil check, but I wouldn’t have expected to need to on a new engine with 20k service intervals. Thanks for responding!!!
Are you saying that you don't need to check the oil dipstick only when the oil light comes on?:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang

Just an update on this - I checked with my trusty dealer (Rob at Listers Worcester), who reports that this is perfectly normal - " we see this on lots of the EU6 vehicles. It is a condensation build up as a result of differing temperatures throughout the engine. The filler neck is the highest and coolest part so the condensation rises and collects here. Tell him it is safe to drive. If he has any concerns feel free to bring it over for us to take a look. If he is happy with the explanation then all he needs to do is wipe it away and carry on driving as normal ". Phew!!

Hi,
Similar issue with mine. Low mileage T6 used mainly on short journeys and sludge!
Glad to hear its not an issue.
Cheers.

Normal. Good run when engine gets fully hot will sort this problem.

Back