Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Should this water be here?

Excellent tips, guys. Many thanks. I may have to try all of them.

I knew it wouldn't be a 10-min job.

How do you guys remove the wiper arms? I have removed the caps, the nuts, and they do not move at all. I have searched and some people talk about a specific removal tool, but say it damages the coating of the arm, another guy gives the arm, where it joins the moving part, a couple of punches with his fist to unlock it. Have tried that, which I have not liked to do at all, and did not work anyway. Then a third approach I have seen is the one in this video, but I hope I don't need to get to that.

At the moment I have sprayed them with loads of 4WD and will try later today just with my hands.

I knew it wouldn't be a 10-min job.

How do you guys remove the wiper arms? I have removed the caps, the nuts, and they do not move at all. I have searched and some people talk about a specific removal tool, but say it damages the coating of the arm, another guy gives the arm, where it joins the moving part, a couple of punches with his fist to unlock it. Have tried that, which I have not liked to do at all, and did not work anyway. Then a third approach I have seen is the one in this video, but I hope I don't need to get to that.

At the moment I have sprayed them with loads of 4WD and will try later today just with my hands.
I didn't have to remove the wipers on my T5.1, I just removed the scuttle rubber seal then warmed up the plastic scuttle panel and raised it a little, unscrewed the two metal plates either side of the engine and wiggled them out :)
I that doesn't work just buy a wiper removal tool..

Have a look at this vid

That's never worked for me unless the wipers have been off before or the vehicle is not very old. Once they are off give the spindle a good wire brush and apply a little copper slip grease to make it easy next time :)

I had seen that video and I agree with KGCali it does not work, even if the vehicle is not very old. Well, I don't consider three and a half years to be old, and it sleeps in a private garage.
I have tried again after a few hours of having applied WD40, and nothing. It is far easier that one of your wheels comes undone and you loose it, than a wiper arm. I didn't realise they were so critical to safety.

Following your advice, and being lucky because Spanish wipers go differently from UK ones, and the blocked hole is the right hand one, I have managed to separate the scuttle a bit, as you see in the pic below, enough to take a picture and also tried to insert the little pipe that comes with the WD40. It does not go in. It feels as very dry and hard plastic. Is this, where the arrow points in the pic below, where I have to push something through?

IMG_3900.JPG
1677863378671.png

IMG_3899.JPG

Try the double hammer method on the arms. Like you would a lower ball joint

That's never worked for me unless the wipers have been off before or the vehicle is not very old. Once they are off give the spindle a good wire brush and apply a little copper slip grease to make it easy next time :)
How have you got them off before ?

Hi again, guys. Finally got it sorted!
My partner has arrived with a syringe and blowing air from the top has unblocked the drain. Attached to the syringe I have used one of those thermoretractable tubes for wires, which is a bit too soft, however has the right diameter and has done the job. I live in Barcelona but in the middle of a forest and didn't have anything else.
Next time I take the van to my mechanic, I'll ask him to remove the wiper arms and apply some grease, as KGCali has suggested, so I'll be able to remove them myself without hassle and clean behind that scuttle regularly. Apart from being able to access these valves, a lot of rubbish gets in there depending on where you park, and here in Spain we have loads of pine trees.
Thanks all for your help! Apart from having solved the issue, I've learnt a few new words!

Back