Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Our new T6.1 Ocean carpets are soaked!!

I have just poured water into the drain holes and it re apoears in front of the drivers side front wheel.. why is this simple test not done by dealer on the PDI ??
Nothing regarding the Camping/Habitation side of things is checked on the PDI.
The PDI checklist is based on a standard Transporter Van, or possibly a Caravelle.

I'm about to start to lose that calmness... just got off the phone with dealer....can't fit it in until the 19th... and if it is a blocked drainage tube, warranty won't cover it. Are these people for real?
Hmmm....... if its blocked by a foreign body that is one thing. If its blocked because of incorrect installation during the build then that is another matter altogether. With your history I think it is much more likely to be the latter. Keep banging the table!!!! This is ridiculous and unacceptable that VW wont help to solve this matter.

I am awaiting my new T6.1 to arrive. I would be really grateful if you could post a photo of where these drain holes are. I could get the dealer to do your pour test before I part with my cash!
Great idea!

View attachment 56149

just at front of channel when roof is up, in an awkward position but just in front and under the sticky/mastic wiring connection. small hole about 5 mm diameter (and at rear, they are easier to see. unsure how rear drains away. aint tested yet) Both front drain to just the one outlet.
Is this a repair, mine looks nothing like this.

@CannonDale , it's not the rubber wiring in front of that picture from @Birty that's the drainpoint . The drainpoint is below and not that good visible .
That picture all looks perfect normal .
You can find more info on the the location of both the front and rear drainholes here:

Last edited:
you can just make out the drain point under the rubber. Have a look at any cali and it will be obvious.

Is this a repair, mine looks nothing like this.
you need to take the black covers off at the front of the channels just behind the front wind deflector:: they have a hole in them around a screw which doesn’t need to be removed. It will only look like the above botched mess of mastic if you have an hydraulic roof.

incidentally where do the channels in the elevating roof drain?

View attachment 56149

just at front of channel when roof is up, in an awkward position but just in front and under the sticky/mastic wiring connection. small hole about 5 mm diameter (and at rear, they are easier to see. unsure how rear drains away. aint tested yet) Both front drain to just the one outlet.
Interestingly your mastic cables look slightly elevated whereas mine lay flat to the body. So are mostly submerged even when there's a small amount of water in the gully.
Dried the gullies fully today, closed the roof and ran water along the front edge of the roof seals. Left it a while, popped the roof and it was bone dry. Maybe rain falling is different.. Hopefully they'll figure it out.

IMG_20200307_091406.jpg
IMG_20200307_102250.jpg

Couple of photos showing when we opened the roof after the rain. First shows the silt where the water was getting under the lid.

I had a blocked drain on my 4 week old Cali last year. Took it back to the dealers and they grumbled about me having blocked the drain after parking under trees, which I hadn't done. They told me they had fixed it, by blowing air through the drain but when I got it home I tried it again and still blocked. Took it back, another 100 mile round trip, and they took the A pillar trim off to find the piped was kinked. It looked to me like the pipe was too long but it appears it's a big job to replace so they braced the pipe to prevent it kinking and I've had no problems since.

The treatment I had with this, and a couple of other relatively minor issues was abysmal, and that was at a dealer that is thought to be one of the best. I hope you get better treatment with your new dealer.

I had a blocked drain on my 4 week old Cali last year. Took it back to the dealers and they grumbled about me having blocked the drain after parking under trees, which I hadn't done. They told me they had fixed it, by blowing air through the drain but when I got it home I tried it again and still blocked. Took it back, another 100 mile round trip, and they took the A pillar trim off to find the piped was kinked. It looked to me like the pipe was too long but it appears it's a big job to replace so they braced the pipe to prevent it kinking and I've had no problems since.

The treatment I had with this, and a couple of other relatively minor issues was abysmal, and that was at a dealer that is thought to be one of the best. I hope you get better treatment with your new dealer.
Thanks Keith, glad you got yours resolved. Wouldn’t surprise me to find something similar with our pipe as it can’t be blocked by dirt. If all dealers were as good with after sales care as they are when selling then these issues wouldn’t be half as annoying or stressful. Look after us and we’ll be more likely to stay loyal etc..

All dropped off at CityGate Woburn Green. Stuart the technician that I'm dealing with was helpful and keen to get it in and resolved. They're planning to strip it back to ensure there's no lasting damage anywhere, carpets and all... Will post back once they've figured out what's going on.

All dropped off at CityGate Woburn Green. Stuart the technician that I'm dealing with was helpful and keen to get it in and resolved. They're planning to strip it back to ensure there's no lasting damage anywhere, carpets and all... Will post back once they've figured out what's going on.
Glad to hear you are getting better service. Here is hoping they resolve the factory defect and you can move on.

Wooburn Green is only 30 miles from me so I would be keen to hear what you think after you have collected your van. Although Breeze Poole always get excellent reviews I would rather travel 30 miles than 120 miles!

Progress............well, all the right words anyway. Lets see if they can back them up with a satisfactory conclusion.

We got our brand new Cali in Dec 18. By March 19 we had soaking carpets. Turned out the drains had been fitted to run into the van rather than out!!! All fixed under warranty. This fix introduced a rattle behind the steering column. Also fixed under warranty (or something similar)

Quick update, got the van back the day before lockdown. They'd resealed the cables on the side that leaked, gave it a thorough soak test and stripped everything out and checked for damage under carpets etc. All returned as new and after the only rain we had a week or so ago it's still dry. So fingers crossed it's all good from now on.
As a dealer they were great to deal with and will certainly be going back there for future work.

Last edited:
Back