Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Shower kit any good?

G

gshughes

Vehicle
T5 SE 130
I would welcome thoughts and experiences on shower kits as I know very little about them. How do they work, what are the options, pros and cons etc? I imagine both official and third party options are available?

Using the search function above gives some info , like this post
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/vw-shower-accessory-no-pressure.15202/#post-163537
Many other treads to find on the forum.
The original shower attachment fitted on the T6 for me personal i would say , no good as only 30l water is carried in a Cali and the pump gives not enough pressure.
There have been others with other solutions , but in the end you just can not take a shower in a Cali no matter what you do , outside in a tent it is possible but simply using a plastic bowl to wash up would do if you visit a campsite every other day (or two days) when on a road trip.
Those who like the new shower on the 6-ers are using it to clean the dog , wash up surfboards or bikes when away on one-day trips ....in that case 30l water is enough.

Agree HC. We bought a shower attachment from eBay that just screws to the tap and we use it to wash sand off the kids feet after being on the beach. Much cheaper than the one that VW offer (cupboard type 6 whatever it's called). We just stick it out the kitchen window and hose them down!!!

We've ordered with the shower kit, mostly for either dog washing or when we're wild camping and you just need a quick rinse. Have been used to an 8L shower bag on our Land Rover so the 30L limit wouldn't worry us, especially as the sink never gets used for washing up.

No need for shower tent, just be quick and hope no one spots you, unlike the car full of government officials that spotted my wife in while in Belize, pulled a u-turn and came back!

Agree HC. We bought a shower attachment from eBay that just screws to the tap and we use it to wash sand off the kids feet after being on the beach. Much cheaper than the one that VW offer (cupboard type 6 whatever it's called). We just stick it out the kitchen window and hose them down!!!

Think that one is in the forum shop also.

We've ordered with the shower kit, mostly for either dog washing or when we're wild camping and you just need a quick rinse. Have been used to an 8L shower bag on our Land Rover so the 30L limit wouldn't worry us, especially as the sink never gets used for washing up.

No need for shower tent, just be quick and hope no one spots you, unlike the car full of government officials that spotted my wife in while in Belize, pulled a u-turn and came back!

A showerbag can be usefull , but the weather need to be good .
We find the 30 l no problem either , but if a shower is added 30l will not last long.
You don't have to shower every day , it's just that we are used to it in modern days.
We grow up only going in bath once a week at the weekend , the rest of the days just washed up at the sink.
We just boil a kettle hot water and poor it in a plastic bowl when not on a campsite.

So far with our Cali we haven't been away from a campsite/shower block for all that long and wet wipes have been an adequate interim.

However, if I was planning a longer wild camping trip in the Cali I would be going for the simple solution of a shower bag. I've used them quite a lot in (non-Cali) travels in various parts of the world.

For anyone who has never used a shower bag and doesn't yet have a built-in Cali shower system, IMO a bag would be well worth trying out before investing in lots of plumbing for the van. They are less hassle than they look, and you can have as much water pressure as you like.

In sunny weather a black shower bag left out in the sun will get comfortably warm quite quickly. In colder weather you just boil a kettle and add some hot from that, give it a quick shake and shower away.

For dog cleaning, you could just suspend the shower bag off the inside of the tailgate, or a nearby tree if there is one. I haven't tried that yet but am planning to give it a go.

You could leave a shower bag in front of the aux.heater outlet to warm up a bit on colder days:)

Have the shower kit which works from boot compartment- hose attachment is in lower part of rear cupboard above space for gas canister. Switch pumps water and shower head has simple on/off lever. Not v powerful but does the job

Perhaps this is a solution to a dirty boots problem for those of us without the shower attachment. £12.99

Back