Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Side Assist

R

RMBN

VIP Member
..dont bother.. If it goes wrong, which mine did, apparently no one in the southwest has the tools to sort it out.. well done VW. Oh and VW Heritage took 5 attempts to come to this conclusion, thats five lots of mileage and fuel.. they have now filled up the tank when I pointed this out to them but still waiting for them to come back with what they intend to do next..

..dont bother.. If it goes wrong, which mine did, apparently no one in the southwest has the tools to sort it out.. well done VW. Oh and VW Heritage took 5 attempts to come to this conclusion, thats five lots of mileage and fuel.. they have now filled up the tank when I pointed this out to them but still waiting for them to come back with what they intend to do next..
That's a shame. On the positive side at least they have obviously tried and sound like they are still trying.

Mike

What's actually wrong with it?

What's actually wrong with it?

Error messages comes up on dash showing unavailable so they eventually replaced the unit and told me it needed calibrating which they couldn't do.. In my mind if it needed calibrating then you shouldnt be using it as its accuracy could be questioned.. delivered back, still getting error massage so not fixed.. and now they tell me no one has the calibration equpiment to check it when they do get it working.. waiting for there next suggestion..

Update.. So the only vw dealer that has the calibration tool for side assist in the southwest is in Exeter. My local dealer picked my Cali up and drove it the 90 miles there.. calibrated the new unit.. only to be told the unit in the other wing mirror wouldn't calibrate and so needed replacing too.. No one thought To check both units before it went to Exeter and no one has any stock at the moment so they drove my Cali back home, it will have to go through all this again to hopefully finally get fixed.. this will be there 7th attempt.. well done vw.

Hmm, I thought the radar units are in the rear quarter panels below the rear lights, the only thing in mirrors are the warning lights..

Edit: Just checked the workshop manual and yes they are by the rear lights.
The lane change assist control unit - J769- left and lane change assist control unit 2 - J770- right is joined to the relevant radar sensor to form one unit for each side respectively. The lane change assist control units can be found at the rear of vehicle on the left and right behind the tail light cover.

Last edited:
Really poor, if an official VW Dealer is not able to manage that.

I will stick to the side assist I sometimes need when coming home from the pub … ;-)