Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Lane Assist

zennorboy

zennorboy

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Not sure where to post this...General Technical or Electrical. Apologies if I’ve got it wrong.

I know there are other threads/comments about this system because I read them this morning, but I can’t find them again; it’s an age thing.

Anyway...I received the dreaded System Error regarding the Lane Assist last week. My usual Independent VW Van Centre were able to diagnose the problem, but it can only be fixed by ‘certain’ VW Main Agents...I read the post/thread this morning from one of our fellow CC members who said his bus was driven halfway ‘round the West Country to sort his similar problem.

Apparently I need a Conrol Module J769 at approximately £400 and maybe the slave unit as well at another £400 + diagnosis + calibration and I might have to take it fifty miles away from Southampton to the main ‘California’ dealer in Poole. It beggars belief...the bus, although five years old has only done 15000 miles.

I have managed to drive for the last fifty years all over the world without Lane Assist, but I can see it’s advantages, particularly for trolling around Europe this summer with right hand drive.

I just wondered if others had had to get this sorted, if there was any advice or any previous experience before I have to go back to the dreaded VW Main Agents who I have studiously managed to avoid for the last couple of decades.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Sorry I can't help, but I'd be interested to know who your independent VW Garage is?
Have you looked at your browser history, should show where you've been on the forum.

Not sure where to post this...General Technical or Electrical. Apologies if I’ve got it wrong.

I know there are other threads/comments about this system because I read them this morning, but I can’t find them again; it’s an age thing.

Anyway...I received the dreaded System Error regarding the Lane Assist last week. My usual Independent VW Van Centre were able to diagnose the problem, but it can only be fixed by ‘certain’ VW Main Agents...I read the post/thread this morning from one of our fellow CC members who said his bus was driven halfway ‘round the West Country to sort his similar problem.

Apparently I need a Conrol Module J769 at approximately £400 and maybe the slave unit as well at another £400 + diagnosis + calibration and I might have to take it fifty miles away from Southampton to the main ‘California’ dealer in Poole. It beggars belief...the bus, although five years old has only done 15000 miles.

I have managed to drive for the last fifty years all over the world without Lane Assist, but I can see it’s advantages, particularly for trolling around Europe this summer with right hand drive.

I just wondered if others had had to get this sorted, if there was any advice or any previous experience before I have to go back to the dreaded VW Main Agents who I have studiously managed to avoid for the last couple of decades.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.
Sorry but unable to help with this problem.
The vehicle might only have covered 15,000 miles but all the components are now 5 yrs old. Electronic components are designed to be used and do not like being left idle for long periods when Corrosion of contacts etc leads to failure.
Just the same as Gearbox oil change every 2 years or 40,000 miles or Cam belt and Water Pump every 80,000 miles or 4 yrs.
Time is just as important as Miles covered.

Probably the best way forward is find out which Dealership can Diagnoe, fix and re-calibrate the Unit and take the vehicle direct to them.

if you are going to main dealer - why not try Breeze in Southampton they have always been 1st class with our vans when we have had issues.

Sorry can't help with your problem , however....
If you read a certain post thismornig on the forum about thesame problem and you can't find it back .....might check your browser history ...;)

Thanks for the hints and tips.

Went to BREEZE (Southampton) today and booked the bus in for the Lane Assist to be sorted. It’s going to cost £55 just for them to plug the bus into their computer thingy!

Ominously, there was a message on our answer machine this evening; they want me to phone them tomorrow to discuss ‘possible outcomes’...the bus is not booked in until next Wednesday.

Just in case it helps anybody, BREEZE Southampton are currently unable to sort Lane Assist/Radar on T6s because they don’t have the appropriate computer system installed yet, you have to go to Poole...that’s good forward planning then.

I’ll keep you posted on how it all goes just in case it is of interest/help to others.

Well, first off I have Side Assist, not Lane Assist...I’m easily confused with all this stuff. The ominous call from The VW Main Agent here in Southampton (Breeze) was a warning that any work regarding Side Assist requires complete removal of the wardrobe assembly as the main module is buried underneath it somewhere.

This will be a very expensive operation in terms of labour (£500-ish) before they even get to the box of tricks and associated wiring and sensors. Once diagnosed and fixed, the vehicle will have to be taken to Breeze in Poole for re-calibration.

An ‘outside estimate’ might well be a bill in excess of £1000 and probably much more. I got the impression that they had not had to do this particular operation before and we became more worried about all the furniture not going back in it’s current pristine state.

As I’ve managed without Side Assist for this long, I think I’ll be managing without it for a bit longer. It’s a shame ‘tho and will obviously affect any resale potential as I would have to state up front that it’s not working etc.

All a bit disappointing really.

That is not strictly true, the modules are a pair of radar unis fitted behind the bumper on each side, the modules wouldn't work inside the bodywork, so I'm not sure why they need to remove the wardrobe. I'll have a quick read of the manual.
upload_2018-3-27_14-25-25.png

Last edited:
yes, as I thought, just putting you off;

5.3 Removing and installing lane change assist control unit -J769- / -J770-

The lane change assist control unit - J769- left and lane change assist control unit 2 - J770- right is joined to the relevant radar sensor to form one unit for each side respectively. The lane change assist control units can be found at the rear of vehicle on the left and right behind the tail light cover.

Removing Note

Removal and installation of left lane change assist control unit - J769- are described in the following; removal and installation of right lane change assist control unit 2 - J770- are carried out in the same manner.

– Switch off ignition and all electrical equipment and then re‐ move ignition key.

• – Remove end piece beneath tail light cluster ⇒ General body repairs, exterior; Rep. gr. 63 ; Rear bumper; Assembly over‐ view - bumper cover .

Well, first off I have Side Assist, not Lane Assist...I’m easily confused with all this stuff. The ominous call from The VW Main Agent here in Southampton (Breeze) was a warning that any work regarding Side Assist requires complete removal of the wardrobe assembly as the main module is buried underneath it somewhere.

This will be a very expensive operation in terms of labour (£500-ish) before they even get to the box of tricks and associated wiring and sensors. Once diagnosed and fixed, the vehicle will have to be taken to Breeze in Poole for re-calibration.

An ‘outside estimate’ might well be a bill in excess of £1000 and probably much more. I got the impression that they had not had to do this particular operation before and we became more worried about all the furniture not going back in it’s current pristine state.

As I’ve managed without Side Assist for this long, I think I’ll be managing without it for a bit longer. It’s a shame ‘tho and will obviously affect any resale potential as I would have to state up front that it’s not working etc.

All a bit disappointing really.
You might have a read of this here.

https://www.t6forum.com/threads/side-assist-stopped-working.3745/

If your Dealership said the module was under/behind the wardrobe then where is it fitted in a normal van? Not just bolted to the Load Area I bet.
I have a feeling they may not actually know what they are talking about.

Excellent @Loz . Just as I thought , a load of T*****s. Why don’t they just admit they don’t know but will find out.:headbang:headbang:headbang

I'm convinced the "threat" of "we'd need to remove the kitchen/wardrobe" is a ploy used by VW to put customers off!
Tried it on me once, but surprise, surprise once they did the job it wasn't necessary!
The worry if they do, is how well they refit it.

Thank you Loz for all that information...I feel much happier that I now have an ‘informed’ second opinion. Thanks also to WelshGaz and ArunAlec for your observations.

My ‘Indepedent’ boys were able to diagnose the fault (J769) but said the that particular problem had to be sorted by a main dealer...hence the story so far.

Why would the main dealer give me all this stuff about wardrobes?

Anyway, I’m going back to my Indepedent people tomorrow morning to discuss it with them first and then back to Breeze with the information Loz has provided me with and see what they have to say..if I don’t get a satisfactory answer I will take it further.

It’s just ridiculous that they should come up with this cock and bull story...my flabber has never been so gasted!

Thanks again for all the helpful info chaps.

Still nothing sorted on my Side Assist. Contacted BREEZE in Poole twice for advice...can you do the job, do you really have to take the wardrobe out, can you provide me with an estimate, have you done this job before?

Two very nice people on reception who both assured me that the technician guru would get back to me...two attempts in three weeks. Nothing.

Going to try LOOKERS in Guildford where the original owner purchased the vehicle ...hope they will be a little more helpful.

If that fails I’ll contact VWUK Customer Care...what else can you do?

In my fairly limited association with Main Dealers over the past five decades (VW, Renault, Honda) I have found them all severely lacking...the stories I could tell you about Renault!

And so it goes on.....posting this update in the hope that it might be useful information for others.

Eventually ended up visiting BREEZE VAN CENTRE in Poole (Dorset). Despite them not returning either of my previous telephone calls requesting information, they were very helpful. I was given a ‘worst case scenario’ regarding price (£1042) and the requirements of the job were explained to me. Theoretically, the wardrobe does have to be removed if that part of the wiring loom needs replacement.

Subsequently booked the bus in for two days, arranged accommodation with friends (we are in Southampton), left the bus at reception 8am on the day.

At 5pm on the same day I was updated on progress. The bus had been through the workshop and the fault identified. The computer thingy that controls the Side Assist needs replacement.

Unfortunately they couldn’t complete the job because the said computer thingy is currently not available in the U.K. and is on back order at the factory...as if that situation wasn’t bad enough I was required to pay UP FRONT £883 as the parts required were not returnable to VW!

I was given no idea as to when the part/parts would become available or any thoughts as to when it could be fixed...meanwhile VW has my £883.

Oh well, what can you do.......?

Just to finish off my saga in the hope that it may benefit others in the future...job was completed yesterday at BREEZE Poole with everything related to Side Assist now working as it should. Five week wait for the required module, and had to pay up front (see post above).

Just a note to say very impressed with BREEZE Poole. Having delivered the bus to them yesterday morning for Side Assist work to be completed, I asked if a technician could just check my tyre pressures while the bus was in the workshop?

I was told that all buses/vans coming into the workshop for any work are given a thirty five point check...tyre pressures, fluid levels, visual brake pad and loads of other stuff. My receipt included a full check list of said items with Advisory and Immediate Action all noted. Nothing required for my bus, but all tyre wear checked at three points across the tread and just a verbal advisory that I was down to 3mm on the fronts.

I don’t know if all main agents do this, but I was impressed.

I don’t understand the bit about parts not being returnable? they have a contractual obligation to supply parts that are fit for purpose and of ‘merchantable’ quality. If those parts are defective they are legally obliged to replace them at their cost.

I don’t understand the bit about parts not being returnable? they have a contractual obligation to supply parts that are fit for purpose and of ‘merchantable’ quality. If those parts are defective they are legally obliged to replace them at their cost.
I imagine the "non returnable" relates to ordering parts that are found not to be needed once work commenced rather than being faulty. These days most suppliers will accept returned items if you find you don't need them, with some exceptions as in this case. Mind you they often hit you with a silly handling charge!

Hi the parts are non returnable if they are not in uk stock as a dealer we buy the parts from vwuk at a cost to us if the part is uk stock and over £20 pre vat we can return it to vwuk for free ,if the part is direct from factory it cannot be returned and will cost the dealer if a customer then does not turn up for the part that dealer is down X pounds. I don’t think anyone else would run there company making a loss so that why pre payment is taken to ensure the customer collects there part or returns to have it fitted obviously this is only applicable if the vehicle is out of warranty however as a dealer we will still get stung for the cost if we order it under warranty and a customer does not turn back up for the repair.

The Control Unit Module is £461. VW were out of stock in U.K. and in Hanover, hence the wait.

I was shown the ‘official’ VW work sheet which details removal of the wardrobe IF that part of the loom connected to the Side Assist module has to be replaced.

Mine didn’t need any replacement of wiring, just the module...however it was indicated to me that should the wiring need replacement there was a perfectly reasonable ‘work around’, something to the effect that the old wiring could be used to ‘pull through’ the new wiring saving removal of the wardrobe that I believe would have upped the labour bill to some extent.

As I mentioned in one of my previous posts above, the ‘worst case scenario’ for this item, which I guess means new wiring, the indicators in the mirrors, new module etc is (currently) £1042...just so you know!

Thanks for all the feedback and input.

• Thanks
Reactions: Loz
Back