Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

SIDE BODY PROTECTOR MOULDINGS

Use a hair dryer to soften the adhesive first , then fishing line / strong nylon sewing thread.

Before attempting to refix ensure all wax and residue glue is removed from the target adhesive area on the panel and plastic part. (Fully)

use Isopropyl Alcohol to remove all residue of wax etc (May be hard to get currently) alternative is methylated spirit.

Get some proper bodywork tape from 3m the type that is like an opaque plastic , slightly gel like, also get some 3m primer (sachet wipes) Edit: Adhesion promoter

Clean and degrease the target areas throughly, wash with detergent (washing up liquid) and fully dry

Apply two / three strips of tape to the long edges of the plastic part , (there may be a depression in the plastic moulding where the original tape was) if not apply two full length strips approximately 5mm from the edge of the plastic trim ( so you don’t see the tape when the trim is fitted ) leaving the backing tape on the face that will make contact with the panel.

Tape the top edge of the plastic trim to the target panel, in the position you need, check alignment is 100% and readjust as required.

With the positioning tape still applied to the top edge (acting as a hinge) peel away approx 50mm of the tape backing so the tape backing protrude out the bottom of the plastic trim.

Pull the backing slightly more so the tape is at an angle in the direction of the backing tape still to be removed ( I.e in the direction you will peel it off the trim)

Press the trim against the panel where the tape has already been removed.
( do not trap the loose backing tape)
Now with the flat of your hand apply light even pressure to the trim as you slowly pull the backing tape away from the underside of the plastic trim.
Check the trim alignment (start again from scratch if incorrect)

If the trim is correctly fitted:
Apply firm pressure evenly to the trim sto ensure full contact with the tape / panel for the entire length of the trim.

DO NOT wash the vehicle for at least 48hours

Tip If the trim is miss shapen use a hair dryer to heat it up (you can use a heat gun also but take care and do not do it whilst it is on the vehicle unless you know what your doing ) gently reshape the trim and hold it in the required shape whilst it cools and maintains the shape you require.

Last edited:
to remove adhesive try using Avons Skin So Soft oil spray it is great for all manner of things

Use a hair dryer to soften the adhesive first , then fishing line / strong nylon sewing thread......

Thanks @Perfectos, @WelshGas & @tedgina. Borrowed some isopropyl alcohol from my next door neighbour to clean it last time - will see if I can pinch a bit more. Hadn't considered fishing line to remove it though, or Avon Skin So Soft for that matter(!!)...will see what I can get my hands on this week!

Try a body shop supplier, such a “Grove group” or similar for the tape, you may struggle to get the adhesion promoter in wipe format, if so you can get liquid or spray.
Good luck

The strips have been stuck on for 2 weeks now, including in direct sunlight, and seem rock solid. For the record, after taking advice from here and doing a little more research, this is how I did it:

Materials (obtained from Amazon and zoro.com):
  • 3M VHB 5952 tape (in theory 4952P is better on this type of plastic, but it only available in white)
  • 3M Tape Primer 94 (adhesion promoter specifically advised for this tape. You can get it in an applicator pen, though I bought it in a small tin and applied with a brush)
  • 3M VHB Surface Cleaner (pre-mixed isopropyl alcohol and water solution)
  • Avon ‘Skin so Soft’ oil
  • Masking tape
  • Washing-up liquid
  • Tools: Silicon kitchen spatula, hair dryer, flat-head screwdriver, craft knife, marker pen, small wallpaper seam roller
Materials came to about £50 (depending on how much tape you need). Cheaper materials than the 3M ones are available, but figured best to use the recommended combinations in order to do a proper job.

Removal:
  • Using masking tape and marker pen, stick some markers/matching arrow pairs on each end of the strip, and one in the middle, so you can line it up straight again when refitting.
  • Prised it off with the silicon spatula using a blast from the hairdryer to assist. I tried finishing line, but the stuff I bought was too thin (0.25mm) and kept breaking, so didn’t need it in the end.
Cleaning & prep:
By far the most time consuming, pain staking and nerve-wrecking bit! It took several hours of work to clean up the van door and each of the strips, removing all of the old tape and glue residue.

For the moulding strips:
  • Use the Avon Skin so Soft oil (a lifesaver, thanks @tedgina!) to loosen the old tape and residue, and scraped it off with a flathead screwdriver. You need to apply a bit of pressure, but be careful not to slip and damage the soft plastic, or to start lifting off the paint. This will take a while, and may need multiple passes….
  • Clean off the oil with some simple washing up liquid/water, and dry.
  • Rigorous application of the 3M VHB Surface Cleaner to remove all traces of oil etc. Try not to touch the surface with your fingers once this is done.
  • Applied the Tape Primer 94, using a narrow paintbrush, as per the instruction on the tin. Two coats applied. Again, don’t touch the surface once done, and don’t leave too long before applying the tape to avoid dust settling etc
For the van, I used the Avon oil with an old cloth and careful fingernail to remove the old residue as best possible. I had some old lumps of glue on there, which I used a craft knife to very carefully chip away. There was the odd slip, but all paint damage was kept underneath whether the strip would be refitted, and was touched up with paint first if necessary. Finish with the VHB Surface Cleaner and then I applied a coat of the Tape Primer 94 around the edge of the strip outline (where the tape would make contact – use masking tape to mark the outline if required). Again, try to leave this until just before fitting the strip, so it stays as clean as possible.

Refitting:
This was done exactly as per @Perfectos advised above (post #26). I just used the roller to make sure I got good even pressure when fixing the tape to the moulding strip, and once the strip was back on the van (over an old cloth, to prevent marking).

Thanks for all the advice, and hope this helps the next person.