Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Side Mouldings retro fit

rippers

rippers

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
So I met up with timhutch this evening and took a look at his Berghaus which was awesome esp with the black bike rack :cool:

Something that stood out to me was the side mouldings on the body, for some reason I hadn't noticed them before. I had a look on the Cali brochure and it seems its standard on the SE but not on the Beach and I can even see it as a option for the Beach.

As we use our Beach as a daily drive I was very wary of the extra size to a standard car and was worried about the extra possibility of door dings. So the side moulding would be something that I would be interested in getting.

Does anyone know whether they can be retro fitted and if VW sell them pre-painted in reflex silver?

I'm not sure if these are the same things, but I had some black side bars fitted to my beach at the dealers after delivery...I think they are invaluable for us as we're always having to park in busy car parks. I'll see if I have a photo to post for you
Jane

maui2512 said:
I'm not sure if these are the same things, but I had some black side bars fitted to my beach at the dealers after delivery...I think they are invaluable for us as we're always having to park in busy car parks. I'll see if I have a photo to post for you
Jane

Not quite - I think he means the protective side mouldings on the Caravelle/Cali SE

ScreenShot2014-01-25at213448_zps66d40d91.png

I will be honest if you ding without them, it's normally a few quid to the dent guy (I've used one twice) and it is all sorted.

Those mouldings do offer protection but they are coloured coded and would be more expensive to repair and replace if you damaged them I think.

Some people like the look of the though :)

James

Attachments

• ScreenShot2014-01-25at213448_zps66d40d91.png
    ScreenShot2014-01-25at213448_zps66d40d91.png
    9.2 KB · Views: 14
I was having a look at them on Thursday, they are quite expensive if you buy them from VW and it was a few hundred pounds before painting and fitting.

I saw these http://shop.automotiva.co.uk/en/sid...porter-t5-door-side-protection-mouldings.html £60 plain and another £60 if you want them colour coded - click the accessories page. Has anyone tried them for a VW Cali or another car?

I think the Beach looks good without them, but the side panels do look big and vulnerable to car park dings.

Andy

What fascinated me was the one on the tailgate and rear corners, I felt visually it pumped the van up bit and made it a little less builders van... but I bet they are a fortune plus I'd only be interested if they where prepainted from factory

I have had the full set of side and rear protectors fitted to my Beach, they were silly money really, I think about £600 painted and fitted - but they enable me to relax (a bit) more leaving the van in a car park... I still look for the spot out the way mind.

I agree that the rear strips do add something to the styling and they also give a convenient place to push the boot closed. It would however be considerably cheaper to get just the sides done.

The only thing to watch for is getting them straight and level when they go on. The VW bodyshop redid mine twice on one strip to get it just right. To be fair I am a straight freak but there is no real guide on the body, and once they are on they don't come off apparently without causing ripples in the strip, so they had to paint up a new strip each time. One for the professionals.

By the way there is a much cheaper official VW rubbing strip set in grey /black you can find it in the accessories brochure. From memory around £80?

Steve.

SteveM said:
I have had the full set of side and rear protectors fitted to my Beach, they were silly money really, I think about £600 painted and fitted - but they enable me to relax (a bit) more leaving the van in a car park... I still look for the spot out the way mind.

I agree that the rear strips do add something to the styling and they also give a convenient place to push the boot closed. It would however be considerably cheaper to get just the sides done.

The only thing to watch for is getting them straight and level when they go on. The VW bodyshop redid mine twice on one strip to get it just right. To be fair I am a straight freak but there is no real guide on the body, and once they are on they don't come off apparently without causing ripples in the strip, so they had to paint up a new strip each time. One for the professionals.

By the way there is a much cheaper official VW rubbing strip set in grey /black you can find it in the accessories brochure. From memory around £80?

Steve.

Any pics of you set fitted??

Andy

Here you go; rubbish photo as still fairly dark this morning.... click through to get a slightly bigger version!

[album]1264[/album]

It should however look just like a SE!

Steve

Thanks,

I'm wondering whether you could just do the doors and the passenger side as you mention and save a bit as the cost was mounting up as he listed all the pieces.

Andy

SteveM said:
Here you go; rubbish photo as still fairly dark this morning.... click through to get a slightly bigger version!

[album]1264[/album]

It should however look just like a SE!

Steve

I think they look quite smart :)

I found out you can buy them from VW colour coded in Reflex silver so wouldn't need them painted but does anyone know if they have self adhesive strips on the back or whether they have to be bonded on?

99% sure tape... having seen the last one they stuck on. I am sure the parts department would confirm. Lucky you on the pre-painted!

Steve.

Ok I stand corrected not available in painted format, just primer here are the part numbers

klz1300934167b.jpg

7H5 853 071 B GRU Left door
7H5 853 072 B GRU Right door
7H5 853 073 B GRU Sliding Door Left
7H5 853 074 B GRU Sliding Door Right
7H5 854 525 B GRU B-pillar below Fuel Flap
7H5 853 981 B GRU rear panel left
7H5 853 955 B GRU rear panel centre
7H5 853 982 B GRU rear panel right

Ok I stand corrected not available in painted format, just primer here are the part numbers

View attachment 5062

7H5 853 071 B GRU Left door
7H5 853 072 B GRU Right door
7H5 853 073 B GRU Sliding Door Left
7H5 853 074 B GRU Sliding Door Right
7H5 854 525 B GRU B-pillar below Fuel Flap
7H5 853 981 B GRU rear panel left
7H5 853 955 B GRU rear panel centre
7H5 853 982 B GRU rear panel right

Hi
did you ever price these up...???

Does anyone know if these are available for the T6 Beach (and does the T6 Ocean have them as standard)? I would love to have them but 600 quid is a lot of dent removals....