Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Single Garage Parking

It's 2170 in height, which I think will be okay, the Cali is a fair bit narrower than the Range Rover, but I'm guessing it's the mirrors of the Cali which are likely to protrude moreso than the RR
Yes, agreed - mirrors will be the problem.

I think I would be looking at removing the central pillar, a big RSJ, and a double roller shutter door. Will be easier in the longrun :)
At least with the mortar still green the central pillar should come down easily. look out for a pair of unused single roller shutter doors appearing in the for sale ads soon...

I would be thinking, steel column, reduce centre pillar by a foot & have a 8ft door on one side.

Here's mine in the garage. Demolished the crappy single garage with the leaky flat roof. Went out and back attaching new concrete to the old slab. Once we had it up and the door gap got zzap round to measure it. They went away and made electric insulated roller door to fill the gap. Doesn't intrude at the sides or from above. Can't beat having the van under cover for working on cleaning etc

20220125_180916.jpg

I've since painted the floor. I sealed it and used polyurethane paint. Parked on it and the paint came up on the tyres. I left it 12 days before parking on it.

Lovely. I cringe every time I read about Calis parked on the street!

1590935072600.png
I found this on another forum which would indicate the width with the mirrors in is 2093mm, I'm not sure how accurate this is. That would give me c50m either side of my garage with the mirrors folded, not sure if this diagram is accurate though?

I can't believe VW don't publish the exact width with the mirrors folded, practically every other manufacturer does and it's very difficult to measure yourself!!

View attachment 116730
I found this on another forum which would indicate the width with the mirrors in is 2093mm,
View attachment 116730
I found this on another forum which would indicate the width with the mirrors in is 2093mm, I'm not sure how accurate this is. That would give me c50m either side of my garage with the mirrors folded, not sure if this diagram is accurate though?
That’s only 27mm different to the person earlier that had measured their gap. So sounds about right.

View attachment 116730

I can't believe VW don't publish the exact width with the mirrors folded, practically every other manufacturer does and it's very difficult to measure yourself!!
I think your diagram is accurate. On mine I measured the rough (with measuring tape) distance between the outermost part of the mirror to my LHD driver's door, both in and out, and got a difference of roughly 11cm, which corresponds to your diagram, ie 1160-1051=109mm. It didn't occur to me that the other side could be different, so I didn't bother to measure.
Is it 50 cm or 50 mm clearance on either side of your door?

I think your diagram is accurate. On mine I measured the rough (with measuring tape) distance between the outermost part of the mirror to my LHD driver's door, both in and out, and got a difference of roughly 11cm, which corresponds to your diagram, ie 1160-1051=109mm. It didn't occur to me that the other side could be different, so I didn't bother to measure.
Is it 50 cm or 50 mm clearance on either side of your door?
50m sadly so it'll be careful maneuvering i think....

We’ve just been to view our next house, I asked about the size of the garage doors - site manager said that it’s a local planning requirement that in the larger houses they are at least 7ft high so that all the discovery’s and VWs can fit,

We’ve just been to view our next house, I asked about the size of the garage doors - site manager said that it’s a local planning requirement that in the larger houses they are at least 7ft high so that all the discovery’s and VWs can fit,
Yes that's the measurements of mine I've just had built so that would make sense. The architect designed a 2200mm opening which houses a 7ft by 7ft garage door.

In hindsight I'd wished I'd made it 2400mm as even a Volvo XC40 is a tight fit...

Back