Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rodent attack repairs

Update from Post #41.

1. As @GrannyJen suggested, I invested in a couple of inexpensive animal scarers and placed them in front and behind where I normally park the Cali on our drive. The batteries need replacing pretty frequently mind.

and ...

2. After over 6 months of back and forth with VW CS (most of the delay was about obtaining parts) they paid for our dealer to fit a VW rodent kit on the vehicle. This was fitted at the end of June.

So hopefully I'm now good.

Do you have any details as to what VW fitted. If there is a VW supplied kit I would be interested in getting hold of one.

Do you have any details as to what VW fitted. If there is a VW supplied kit I would be interested in getting hold of one.
Sorry, as usual with VW customer care items, there is no paperwork. I was told it cost £300 (inc VAT) fitted.

You could phone SMG Tonbridge as ask to speak to Matt, their service manager.

Sorry, as usual with VW customer care items, there is no paperwork. I was told it cost £300 (inc VAT) fitted.

You could phone SMG Tonbridge as ask to speak to Matt, their service manager.
I’d be interested to know what they fitted. Have sprayed all wiring I could actually get to with anti-rodent lacquer. Not bothered to wrap wiring with chilli impregnated tape - too much effort and difficult to do.

Found this on YouTube:

Argh, the capsicum tape doesn't stop the foxes! Third time for me now, the oil sensor light came on and I can see at least two severed wires plus that red one's not attached to anything now.

As it's in a shared carpark I can't leave traps around in case it injures a child or neighbours' cats. Has anyone explored whether a panel/mesh could be fixed to the underside to physically limit access, to what is obviously an enticing vermin chew-station? Perhaps I'll add some additional wires as expendable decoys...
IMG_20210830.jpg

Argh, the capsicum tape doesn't stop the foxes! Third time for me now, the oil sensor light came on and I can see at least two severed wires plus that red one's not attached to anything now.

As it's in a shared carpark I can't leave traps around in case it injures a child or neighbours' cats. Has anyone explored whether a panel/mesh could be fixed to the underside to physically limit access, to what is obviously an enticing vermin chew-station? Perhaps I'll add some additional wires as expendable decoys...
View attachment 83800
So frustrating. Another design flaw.

I've taken to leaving part of an old wire fire guard under ours now. Trouble is don't remember every time.

I feel your pain. I’m on my fourth attack now: twice for the adblue sensor, once for exhaust sensor and once for the oil sensor… I put it down to foxes as we have lots where we are but that was until the oil sensor happened but since that’s under a large cover that means it could only be a smaller animal so probably a mouse or rat … either way, for the main exposed cables under the van my most recent attempt has been to wrap them in metal braid which is held in place with stainless tie wraps - see pic. There’s no way they’ll get through it but of course it now seems that they can get anywhere in the engine and there are loads more cables of a similar type for them to go at! So so frustrating and expensive.

45166457-483D-4D70-9D33-1C20ED7C5ED4.jpeg

I feel your pain. I’m on my fourth attack now: twice for the adblue sensor, once for exhaust sensor and once for the oil sensor… I put it down to foxes as we have lots where we are but that was until the oil sensor happened but since that’s under a large cover that means it could only be a smaller animal so probably a mouse or rat … either way, for the main exposed cables under the van my most recent attempt has been to wrap them in metal braid which is held in place with stainless tie wraps - see pic. There’s no way they’ll get through it but of course it now seems that they can get anywhere in the engine and there are loads more cables of a similar type for them to go at! So so frustrating and expensive.

View attachment 83817

Metal braid may not stop them. We had a similar problems at work with a fibre optic cable running across a field in ducting. The cable was armoured. The rats liked the outer sheathing and kept going through the armour strands to reach the fibre cable sheathing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We were at Camper Jam(ish) this year and saw some chasing LEDs that some people had on their vans. If you haven’t seen them each LED has it’s own processor and so the lights can run along the strip. It looked like the sort of thing that would disturb rats and mice so we’ve fitted a strip along the fence in front of our cars. The strip itself wasn’t expensive and I’ve fitted the power adaptor inside a tall exterior socket available from Toolstation so about £40 all in. Only time will tell if it works.

We were at Camper Jam(ish) this year and saw some chasing LEDs that some people had on their vans. If you haven’t seen them each LED has it’s own processor and so the lights can run along the strip. It looked like the sort of thing that would disturb rats and mice so we’ve fitted a strip along the fence in front of our cars. The strip itself wasn’t expensive and I’ve fitted the power adaptor inside a tall exterior socket available from Toolstation so about £40 all in. Only time will tell if it works.
They're probably too busy partying
:bananadance2:bananadance2:bananadance2:bananadance2:bananadance2:bananadance2
:bananadance2:bananadance2:bananadance2:bananadance2:bananadance2:bananadance2

I’d be interested to know what they fitted. Have sprayed all wiring I could actually get to with anti-rodent lacquer. Not bothered to wrap wiring with chilli impregnated tape - too much effort and difficult to do.

Found this on YouTube:

Hi,

Sorry for the long delay. I've just had a poke around and here's a photo of the control box under the bonnet that has been fitted.

1632589573702.jpeg

It's a K&K M5700N. Details are here ... https://www.kuk-marderabwehr.de/en/kaufen/high-voltage-devices/m5700n-the-most-effective-device/

Hi,

Sorry for the long delay. I've just had a poke around and here's a photo of the control box under the bonnet that has been fitted.

View attachment 84837

It's a K&K M5700N. Details are here ... https://www.kuk-marderabwehr.de/en/kaufen/high-voltage-devices/m5700n-the-most-effective-device/
Interesting they should fit that system, seeing as the makers suggest alternatives for Motorhomes when connected to EHU.

So, on the California, the system will switch On when the engine stops, BUT, if then plugged into EHU the on board charger , which also trickle charges the engine battery when Leisure Batteries are full, will cause the system to switch Off, so no protection.

So, we could have a problem if plugged into EHU as recommended in the Handbook on a monthly basis.
No problems for a Transporter, only a California.

Note for motor home owners:
This is a marten repellent device with automatic switch-off when the engine is started (changed voltage status 12 V battery). The state of charge that leads to shutdown is also reached when connected to external power sources. In order to be protected when using shore power and / or solar modules, it is necessary to use self-sufficient marten defense systems (e.g. M9700, automatic shutdown via vibration detection) with their own battery supply. However, if mobile homes have a 12 V power supply that is independent of external sources, a connection device can still be used.

Interesting they should fit that system, seeing as the makers suggest alternatives for Motorhomes when connected to EHU.

So, on the California, the system will switch On when the engine stops, BUT, if then plugged into EHU the on board charger , which also trickle charges the engine battery when Leisure Batteries are full, will cause the system to switch Off, so no protection.

So, we could have a problem if plugged into EHU as recommended in the Handbook on a monthly basis.

This is a marten repellent device with automatic switch-off when the engine is started (changed voltage status 12 V battery). The state of charge that leads to shutdown is also reached when connected to external power sources. In order to be protected when using shore power and / or solar modules, it is necessary to use self-sufficient marten defense systems (e.g. M9700, automatic shutdown via vibration detection) with their own battery supply. However, if mobile homes have a 12 V power supply that is independent of external sources, a connection device can still be used.
Thanks, @WelshGas . Will bear that in mind. Just happy that I've got something that will help 90%+ of the time, especially when sat on our drive in the winter.

PS: I do charge it sometimes, honest ...

The system that was installed by VW on my T6 does not work like this. It engages when the ignition is off. (3 connection wires: see drawing)
In this way there is no influence whether on hook up or solar panels.
Screenshot_20210926-182649.jpg

I've phoned VW Customer Service and have been allocated a case handler who is looking into our experience. He's has said that as the vehicle is out of warranty this limits what they can do ... . I'll let you know what VW say. He hopes to come back later next week.
How did this pan out?
VW service saying a NOX sensor has been chewed on mine! £750!
Mine is in a basement car park, so I'm considering something like 4 of these...
https://www.aosom.co.uk/item/pawhut...rt-feet-white~D06-118WT.html?_ac=ITEM_ZD_SIMS

Last edited:
How did this pan out?
VW service saying a NOX sensor has been chewed on mine! £750!
Mine is in a basement car park, so I'm considering something like 4 of these...
https://www.aosom.co.uk/item/pawhut...rt-feet-white~D06-118WT.html?_ac=ITEM_ZD_SIMS
Scroll back to Post #51 for the story. With fingers crossed, I can report no further problems. At least not from rodents.

Just a new Infotainment unit and 2 x ABS wheel sensors. All under the All-in warranty thankfully.

Thank you.
So SMG Tonbridge fitted this?
https://www.kuk-marderabwehr.de/en/kaufen/high-voltage-devices/m5700n-the-most-effective-device/
Under the all-in warranty?
How did you win the argument that it should be fitted?
It was a 6 month discussion with VW Customer Service - 3 separate incidents, and £1.5k+. Not warranty, just real goodwill from SMG to get it over the line. Part of the extended period was the delay in getting the parts because of the supply situation in the pandemic. Go back to post #36 for the extended story ... :)

Happened to me twice in 4 months (parked in London, so never more than a few metres from a rat as they say)

Given the corrugated tubing does nothing to stop them - and in fact some may be rather partial to it, I spent an afternoon wrapping everything in anti-rodent insulation tape that's loaded with capsaicin (~£22) would have been a quicker job but the first repairer covered everything in copper anti-seize grease which didn't stop the vermin and was a bit of a faff to clean off so that the tape would stick...

Also sprayed some repellent on the topside of the cover while it was off as that's where they must have crawled and sat to have a good gnaw. It's only been 6 weeks so still a bit soon to call if it has worked and will need to refresh the deterrent every few months. Just hoping London rats aren't into "spicy"
If they’ve come over from Brick Lane, you may be in trouble

It was a 6 month discussion with VW Customer Service - 3 separate incidents, and £1.5k+. Not warranty, just real goodwill from SMG to get it over the line. Part of the extended period was the delay in getting the parts because of the supply situation in the pandemic. Go back to post #36 for the extended story ... :)
Thanks, yes I'd read your post about the 3 incidents, and am keen not to repeat that. I called VW CS this morning and they were very helpful. I passed on details of the system fitted by SMG and they are liaising with Alan Day (New Southgate) to see whether a 'goodwill payment' can be offered and/or fitment of the K&K M5700N. Alan Day had no intention of any action to resolve at their expense, and why would they? It needs to come from VW.
The details of your saga and solution have been valuable to me, so thank you.
I'll update for others benefit as my brouhaha evolves.

Happened to me twice in 4 months (parked in London, so never more than a few metres from a rat as they say)

Given the corrugated tubing does nothing to stop them - and in fact some may be rather partial to it, I spent an afternoon wrapping everything in anti-rodent insulation tape that's loaded with capsaicin (~£22) would have been a quicker job but the first repairer covered everything in copper anti-seize grease which didn't stop the vermin and was a bit of a faff to clean off so that the tape would stick...

Also sprayed some repellent on the topside of the cover while it was off as that's where they must have crawled and sat to have a good gnaw. It's only been 6 weeks so still a bit soon to call if it has worked and will need to refresh the deterrent every few months. Just hoping London rats aren't into "spicy"
Did this solution work?

Having suffered a couple of years agofrom what I thought was squirrel damage to the accessible wiring under the van, I found a mouse nest on top of the battery last winter and the plastic moulding on top of the engine had been chewed away. I now have a Rentokil pre-filled bait box on top of the battery cover, stuck down with double-sided tape. This has been visited and the bait has been partly eaten. As a deterrent I have sprayed the engine bay with an emulsion of pepermint oil, washing up liquid and water. I am told that rodents can’t stand the smell of peppermint, so here’s hoping….
Photos show the chewed plastic (still wet from the emulsion spray) and the bait box.

IMG_1250.jpeg

IMG_1249.jpeg

I had/have the same problem and put two traps on top of the battery without bait, they work just as well in that position as they just walk over them to set them off. The bait will actually attract them so could be counterproductive.

Back