Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rodent attack repairs

The bait will actually attract them so could be counterproductive.
I take your point. My thinking was that they wouldn’t know it was there until they saw it and if they ate it they wouldn’t be around to tell their mates.
I am hoping that the smell of peppermint will put off all except the really well-hard rodents. Are you using standard ‘little nipper’ traps?

I met some people in Switzerland that go to dog grooming places and get some dog hair fill it in breathable mesh bags and place them around the engine bay. Seems to work fine as they don’t like the smell of dogs! I’d just be wary of the engine heat and placement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I met some people in Switzerland that go to dog grooming places and get some dog hair fill it in breathable mesh bags and place them around the engine bay. Seems to work fine as they don’t like the smell of dogs! I’d just be wary of the engine heat and placement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My Ocean had its underside wheel arches etc. treated with Lanoguard yesterday, and it is currently drying out in situ at the garage over the weekend for collection Monday (drying time is comparatively slow, apparently).

I live on the seafront, which has plusses, but also salt in the air and rodents (encouraged by the several local restaurants).

After arranging the Lanoguard it occurred to me that there could be an increase rat risk from the lanolin smell (just a guess) so I have ordered one of these for the garage to fit neatly for me whilst still on the ramps.:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003A625O0/?tag=eliteelect-21

But, I appreciate @Webbah_in_Switzerland 's idea, and have found an old mesh swimming kit bag and will go via the local dog groomers tomorrow and have the hair stuffed bag put into the well of my spare wheel.

I will also get some pepermint oil and spray the underside, once the Lanoguard has fully cured:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0BWZ5519V/?tag=eliteelect-21

Did this solution work?
Hi, sadly no the capsaicin tape did not stop my adversaries (I'm guessing there's a mix of rodents and foxes in my case given the location of wires)

Details were on this thread: https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/multiple-warnings-suddenly-appearing.46783/#post-617947

I got the Marderabwehr M9700 fitted at VW's expense but I did not get around to protecting those fat juicy new red wires so the blighters chewed through and disabled that! Almost funny...

Only thing that has worked so far is wrapping teased-out stainless steel scourers, I should check on them though, not sure how robust it is.

Seymour's dashboard lit up like a Xmas tree this morning (still starts and drives though) and a chewed bit of loom on the drive. Jacked it up but could not see anything hanging down - neither could VW Assist when they came out. So off to Breeze tomorrow morning to go on the ramps and get the undertray off. We get a lot of foxes/badgers around our way but my suspicion is rodents. Not looking forward to finding out how much damage they have caused once fixed I'll then have to think about preventative measures. Have never had a problem with rodents until now so wondering if we might have picked up a 'hitchhiker' when we were at Back of Beyond last weekend?

Seymour's dashboard lit up like a Xmas tree this morning (still starts and drives though) and a chewed bit of loom on the drive. Jacked it up but could not see anything hanging down - neither could VW Assist when they came out. So off to Breeze tomorrow morning to go on the ramps and get the undertray off. We get a lot of foxes/badgers around our way but my suspicion is rodents. Not looking forward to finding out how much damage they have caused once fixed I'll then have to think about preventative measures. Have never had a problem with rodents until now so wondering if we might have picked up a 'hitchhiker' when we were at Back of Beyond last weekend?
With winter approaching they're probably even more ravenous than usual. That soya must be mighty tempting.

This worked for me after 2 attacks.
Very dirty job wrapping it around everything though.

I took mine in for a service a few miles after the engine light came on. Dealer rang me sheepishly and said a NOx sensor had been munched … which isn’t covered by warranty… and will cost £750!
I complained to VWCS, who emailed the dealer who said:
“It is a common issue that we see quite a lot of, and the manufacturer is aware that the substance the wiring is made from attracts rodents. Maybe a change in the production of the wiring used would be a solution.”

After 2 weeks VWCS said:

I hope you are well and in good health.
Further to our conversation earlier today about the outcome for the rodent damage to your vehicle, I will attach in the reason for the rejecttion outcome from the Brand at Volkswagen UK and also have your case looked at again as a Peer Review to make sure we have provided sufficient evidence for the reason for our outcome. Please see below :

VWCV Official Statement
We can confirm there are no products in the wiring or pipe coating which would actively attract animals. However, rodents can seek out chewing materials and nesting places, gaining access through very small holes, and there are areas of vehicles that cannot, and should not, be completely sealed.
Although this is not a common issue, there are some general products available through our Volkswagen Van Centres (costing around £15) which can help deter rodents. We would also advise customers who experience rodent damage to contact a professional pest control company to ensure the surrounding area is clear.
I have also attached the email from the Retailer which they have provided an option to spread the cost of repair over 6-9 months 0 % finance but I believe was something you had rejected.
I spoke to Paul, the service manager, regarding your concern. He says as the vehicle wiring was damaged due to rodents chewing through the wiring to the Nox sensor, this type of repair is not covered under the manufacturer’s warranty.
You have been offered the option of 0% finance on the repairs to spread the cost over a 6–9 month period so it can be budgeted for; however, ultimately, it is the owner's responsibility to pay for repairs to their vehicle. You may want to contact your insurance company to see if they will cover such repairs.
We cannot prevent this from happening, as we have no control over external influences causing such damage to the customer's vehicle, so we cannot offer a guarantee it will not happen again in the future.
It is a common issue that we see quite a lot of, and the manufacturer is aware that the substance the wiring is made from attracts rodents. Maybe a change in the production of the wiring used would be a solution.
We manage the customer's situation and review it case by case and therefore would not be able to provide the same outcome for which you may read on forums as we receive the information directly from the factory.
Apologies if this is not the answer you were looking for and we will be in touch once a Customer Relations Manager has done a peer review on the case.
Kind Regards

Dealing with VWCS was so laboriously painful. They don’t return calls, and then write nonsense like that, contradicting their dealer (if the above actually makes any sense).

I left the van at the dealer through the painful incident in the hope they’d agree to pay for the repair. Dealer was annoyed when I picked it up today, and didn’t realise VWCS had shared their email with me!

I intend to appeal to the National Conciliation service.

If anyone has any helpful information, eg about the tubing/cabling change (to soy-based?) I’d be grateful to receive it.

Last edited:
I too got nowhere with VWCS despite a fairly nuclear complaint made to them. Long sessions on the phone where they essentially wouldn't admit there was a significant number of people experiencing the same costly repairs due to the soya, essentially a cost saving/ eco friendly materials choice. Somebody took his complaint about similar damage to his Audi to one of the consumer TV programmes and made a lot of noise.

I know it isn't a straight comparison due to the lack of adblue/ array of sensors on older vehicles but my T5 parked in the same spot for 10 years had no issues, my Euro 6 T6 had two attacks the same year. All on a residential street in outer London.

The dealer was sympathetic and gave me a German anti marder spray without charge. His view was the sweet smell of the adblue attracts them, with the area up and behind the adblue bottle being a favourite hangout.

This is definitely one where VWCS are hiding behind the damage being non foreseeable rather than admitting their vehicles aren't designed to minimise the liklihood of materials attracting vermin.

Could be worth starting a poll on here and the T6 Forum before pursuing @66tim99? A lack of time was the only reason I didn't take it further, just had too many other things going on.

Could be worth starting a poll on here
Thanks for replying OGII.
I think all these ombudsmen tend towards ‘case on its merits’ determination, and so I suspect a poll saying 19 VWCC owners have had a vermin attack would have little impact. A ‘class action’ is beyond my will and means, though I will mention yours and @oryxwhite experiences in my national conciliation case.
Meantime I’ve put this spike matting around and under the van sprayed with this citronella spray (I’ve never in 13 years seen a rat in the basement, but there are often foxes in there), and propped one of these ultrasonic repellers at the front…

The system that was installed by VW on my T6 does not work like this. It engages when the ignition is off. (3 connection wires: see drawing)
In this way there is no influence whether on hook up or solar panels.
View attachment 84934
Did VW for this free of charge please?

I suspect a poll saying 19 VWCC owners have had a vermin attack would have little impact. A ‘class action’ is beyond my will and means, though I will mention yours and @oryxwhite experiences in my national conciliation case.

I suspect its way more than 19 but as you say having the time and capacity to pursue it is the stumbling block.

Good luck

Just heard from dealer - will be about £360 inc VAT to repair - loom split in 2 different places. They will also supply some VW anti-rodent spray which hopefully will compliment the Big Cheese anti-rodent lacquer I have ordered from Amazon. TBH, I was expecting the bill to be worse - not worth raising an insurance claim, but also not what I really need just before Xmas. Still, at least we will have the van back

Just heard from dealer - will be about £360 inc VAT to repair - loom split in 2 different places. They will also supply some VW anti-rodent spray which hopefully will compliment the Big Cheese anti-rodent lacquer I have ordered from Amazon. TBH, I was expecting the bill to be worse - not worth raising an insurance claim, but also not what I really need just before Xmas. Still, at least we will have the van back
The spray says ‘lasts 6 months’. That’s not long.

Lucky - my NOx sensor was £750. The dealer took delight in telling me I was lucky - he has seen £2,500 of damage.
Despite VW Alan Day (Pinkham Way) stating in writing (to Customer services who thankfully forwarded it to me) “it is a common issue that we see quite a lot of and the manufacturer is aware that the substance the wiring is made from attracts rodents. Maybe a change in the production of the wiringused would be a resolve", VWCS refused to repair it.
They said:
"We can confirm there are no products in the wiring or pipe coating which would actively attract animals. We cannot offer a repair under warranty. Although this is not a common issue you could buy the £15 product to deter ..."
Apparently the response is now with a peer reviewer in the exec team.
Meantime I have raised a case with the Motor Ombudsman.
Instead of holding my breath, I'm off for a large whisky down the pub.

Clearing out 'Bookmarks' on PC and came across this one saved which may help those being eaten out of Cali.

Clearing out 'Bookmarks' on PC and came across this one saved which may help those being eaten out of Cali.

"High Voltage" Could be a useful and effective Scrot deterrent

I think this is what SMG Tonbridge fitted to @oryx white Cali
I think that for anyone with a serious repeating problem this is the only guaranteed prevention kit.

Only become a UK major problem fairly recently to my knowledge.

I think this is what SMG Tonbridge fitted to @oryx white Cali
I fitted one of these to my van myself. Not that difficult if you can get underneath. Runs on 4 AA batteries that last about a year. I didn’t have a problem before with rodents but I thought better to spend £250 now instead of £1;000 for repairs and another £250 for a unit in the future. Plus I don’t worry about my wires getting chewed anymore.

Back