Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sink and gas burners

K

KazzaJ

Hello, this is my first post. I have a VW Bay window camper which I love but it's undergoing restoration and am considering buying a Cali as I'm getting impatient, plus I like the idea of venturing further afield and getting there quickly.

One thing that puts me off the Cali is the burners and tap/sink as they look a bit cramped up together and the tap looks a bit useless like the ones on aeroplanes when compared to some camper conversions. Is there any water pressure? Plus, although the top-loading fridge seems like a great idea, there is no work surface once the burners and sink are being used and the fridge is in use. So I guess my question is can you actually prepare and cook a meal and wash up successfully in a Cali?

Hi some good questions here
First of all the sink tap is great with good pressure infact far better than my converted t5
If I cook I use the table to prepare food and put plates etc. the fridge is excellent and holds loads of stuff It's fine :thumb

..but seriously, the sink is a but rubbish. We tend to use site facilities when available. If not, we use teh sink outside as a preference as it is a bit cramped. We use a collapsible sink sometimes too which is useful.

The tap does have a bit of force. It is pumped via a 12v motor rather than being gravity etc so it isn't too bad.

The burners are OK. The recommended pan size is 16cm. If you go over that, you can melt the sink...

In terms of space, we tend to cook sitting down. We use the table for foor preparation and tend to keep the fridge top clear. You have to be a bit organised but we find it ok (and often cook "decent meals" from fresh).

The table comes with a strap to allow you to put the table over the rear seats as a work surface for if you are cooking standing up (but why would you?? ;-)) we've never tried that though!

Fully agree with the above and also you have to take out the plastic bowl from the sink if you are using the ring nearest it to cook as it will melt it.

I learned that one the hard way!

So did i :rofl :rofl still not quite sure how probably the frying pan :rofl :rofl

Mine was using a toaster over the gas rings!

i've just sold my 71 westfalia bay and i should have done it years ago.....if i could have both i would ,but the cali is a totally different beast and does so much more than my bay could ever do .... :barmy

oh yes - you can cook well. Add a Cobb to the mix and you are talking proper jealousy inducing cooking.

Californiaman said:
The table comes with a strap to allow you to put the table over the rear seats as a work surface for if you are cooking standing up (but why would you?? ;-)) we've never tried that though!

Ahhh! Now I understand! I couldn't figure out the point of strapping the table to the bench seat ... :doh

Funny that my dealer thought the strap was to do
With a baby seat :rofl :rofl

Wow. What a helpful bunch you are! :thanks

Thanks very much for all the informative replies!

Now I just need to wait for a second hand Cali to come on the market within my budget. I'm sure it will be worth the wait!

It will definatly be worth the wait :thumb :thumb :thumb :thumb :thumb

Be patient and one will come along and it's deffo worth the wait :) ...

Being organised is the key. We found that we need to nake sure all the plates, cups, pans and food that we need are to hand before you start as once the table is up and you are cooking, the top space is a little limited, plus crawling under the table to get more stuff from the cupboards or the large drawer under the seat can be a bit of a pain. Then you realise you want something from the fridge and you have piled bottles of wine onto it :headwall

If you are cooking outside on a separate stove then everything becomes much easier.

Just needs a bit of thought before you start ;)

I forgot to mention, some trivets are always useful when cooking inside the Cali, we favour the small square rubber type as they don't move around :thumb

Californiaman said:
The burners are OK. The recommended pan size is 16cm. If you go over that, you can melt the sink...

Talking about frying pans.... can you or anyone suggest a good, caliproofed, non-sticking frying pan? We didn't find the right one yet .... Thanks, Andreas