Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sink tap left on for 20 hours.

B

BetterCallPaul

Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Hey everyone,

I somehow thought it would be a good idea to attach a bungee cord to everything in the van, including the sink tap to make sure it would not move. This was a stupid idea because the cord pulled against the tap while driving and switched in on. There was no water in the tank so I did not notice it had been turned on until I woke up the next morning to investigate what the humming noise was in the back. I then switched it off. My leisure battery still seems to work and charge and after putting some water in the tank it also still works.
But my question is, what should I be doing to check that no damage was done by leaving something on way longer than intended. My van is a 93 VW california and some pictures of the tank are below.
Is there a chance I got lucky or might I have damaged something?
Thanks, Paul

The fresh water pump is probably not rated to remain on for so long but if all is OK I wouldn’t worry about it. If it does fail, maybe best not to mention the circumstances to the workshop?

The fact it was still going when you found it bodes well. A T4 93 Westfalia? Possibly best van ever made. Perhaps you were lucky.

The fact it was still going when you found it bodes well. A T4 93 Westfalia? Possibly best van ever made. Perhaps you were lucky.
Ah ha! missed that it was a 93 van. Was thinking about a warranty claim :) :)

I would open the water tank and have a look at the pump,
it might be a bit melted.

If it is but still working I would replace it with the exact same model.
If it looks okay then you got off lightly, there are pics on here of melted
pumps- borderline fire hazard.

Thanks everyone for the input. I am currently on a trip with it so I might not be able to wait for a spare part to replace it. But I would agree its probably the best idea as its way more than expected use. Maybe I did get lucky but I will replace the part once the trip is over and probably use the sink very sparingly. I did take a look at the wiring and gave it a look and did not smell anything burnt or melted. I have taken some pictures but can't seem to add them yet. once I figure that out I will share out of interest.

She is a great van so I really want to do my best to keep her that way.

Cheers,
Paul

Thanks for the advice so far. For those that are curious. Here are the pictures of my water tank. There is no visible damage despite the 20 hours it was constantly switched on. But I will be changing the motor when I get back from my trip.
On a related note. Is there a recommended way to clean the tank? Is a few spons of baking soda and a rinse out with a water hose the best option?
Paul

20220719_093421.jpg

20220719_093432.jpg

Thanks for the advice so far. For those that are curious. Here are the pictures of my water tank. There is no visible damage despite the 20 hours it was constantly switched on. But I will be changing the motor when I get back from my trip.
On a related note. Is there a recommended way to clean the tank? Is a few spons of baking soda and a rinse out with a water hose the best option?
Paul

View attachment 96671

View attachment 96672
All is well that ends well. :thumb

On cleaning, have found Puriclean to work best.

1658744572956.png

Once or twice a year and the water stays fresh and clean.