Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ski trip - topper or don't bother?

flying banana

flying banana

T6 Ocean 204ps manual
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Take the bars off. Chuck the board in the van and under the van when you get there. Then use a topper? I believe the old style toppers that cover the whole roof pack down smaller than the cali wraps or rainbow wraps.

Rob Feeney

Rob Feeney

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
I have used mine in Norway down to -25 ish with a roof box or boards on the roof.
View attachment 51372

If it’s calm the outer covers are reasonable at helping to keep the pop top warmer and do a good job of keeping snow out of the roof mechanism.

View attachment 51371

However, the one I have, flaps so much in windy conditions, I don’t think it does much to keep it warm. You can see the gaps here.
View attachment 51370

On a calm day with mild temperatures and the heater on the temperatures up and downstairs were pretty even with the cover on.
View attachment 51373

All the best.
Which temp and humidity sensors do you have? And which topper, please?

Trev

Trev

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi all. My van is being taking on a ski trip, not by me but by someone else. I have the Cross Climate SUV tyres ready to go and the snow chains. Now the question is what to do with the roof. It's for a snow boarder so if we store the board on the roof then that'll need roof bars and then that reduces my options for a topper. Or perhaps we store the board inside in the gap where the additional underbench drawer would go, but we don't have. I'm basically a bit concerned that if the roof is up and it snows, will the mechanism freeze? I don't have the bike rack that goes on the tailgate. Any snowboarders or skiers can speak from experience? The rainbow screen would allow me to still use the roof bars and will help keep everything warm but it leaves the roof mechanism exposed, so back to my worrying about it freezing and causing a problem lowering the roof.

Any ideas people?
We have skied with our Cali. Down to -15 and no issues. We had a topper on for our comfort rather than preventing freezing to motor.

California4x4

California4x4

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
Which temp and humidity sensors do you have? And which topper, please?
I have 4 sensors from
I keep one under the flap where the fuel cap is for an approximate external temp, one in the cabin in one of the seat pockets, one in the pop top and one in the fridge. They are Bluetooth so there are some dropout issues every now and again but they record the data in the device so when you reconnect, the history is there. The history of fridge temperature is probably the most useful as you change the level on the fridge.

I think the pop top cover is the Comfortz Leisure roofless one. I can’t fully recommend it. It fits in the back door and is fairly simple to strip out. However it’s annoying to fit and I don’t think it’s very good in the wind.

4x4 joker

4x4 joker

VW T6 Westfalia Club Joker 4motion
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
N/A
Hi all. My van is being taking on a ski trip, not by me but by someone else. I have the Cross Climate SUV tyres ready to go and the snow chains. Now the question is what to do with the roof. It's for a snow boarder so if we store the board on the roof then that'll need roof bars and then that reduces my options for a topper. Or perhaps we store the board inside in the gap where the additional underbench drawer would go, but we don't have. I'm basically a bit concerned that if the roof is up and it snows, will the mechanism freeze? I don't have the bike rack that goes on the tailgate. Any snowboarders or skiers can speak from experience? The rainbow screen would allow me to still use the roof bars and will help keep everything warm but it leaves the roof mechanism exposed, so back to my worrying about it freezing and causing a problem lowering the roof.

Any ideas people?
Shame you don’t have bike rack as it’s really handy place to attach snowboard, that’s where I put mine.
My old cali I used isotop in the alps and had electric blanket (need hook up), keeps you nice and toasty.

Glynn

Glynn

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
We always sleep upstairs when in the Alps - Warm as toast using the Cali Topper.

Glynn

Glynn

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
The photograph was from Tignes, last Easter 2018. We woke up one morning to see another Uk California parked near us (Red Cali to the left in the photograph). They did not sleep in their van - I wonder if the owner is on this forum?

Cwcltd

Cwcltd

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
In preparation for my trip to the Alps just put some new wheels and tyres on; Dunlop Winter Sport 5 with 18" Calibre Tourer. Supplied and fitted by John Wood Tyres in Hereford; great service, storing my summer tyres at no cost, about £48 per season thereafter.L1020447-2.jpg

Our Partners