Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

snow chains.

IMG_0993.JPG I test fitted Husky chains ( from Club shop ) today . Off to Merribel next week . Unlikely to need . These are my winter tyres/wheels 215 /60/17 . They are slightly narrower than tyres on alloys but size recommended for chains in handbook for t5 4 motion .

Lidl have chains for sale at the mo - not sure of quality but tuv approved and at the price could get you out of trouble!

Tyres are most important. IMO essential.

Video for the Wild campers to highlight what can be done without chains

Something for my shopping list.
What tyres are fitted?

Mike

Hello All,

We're heading to the alps in half term, and my handbook says that snow chains "may only be fitted on the front wheels".

Does anyone know why you shouldn't fit them to the back wheels? I'm already a bit nervous about (potentially) driving in hazardous snow conditions, and would have felt a lot more comfortable with chains on all four wheels!

Thanks for any help!

Hello stueypops,
have you got 4WD? At the moment in Europe/Switzerland road conditions are good aka no snow on the road. Where are you heading for?

Cheers

Hi Sapto,

Thanks for the reply.

I'm not 4WD but the handbook adds "even for 4WD". I've never used chains before and it just feels like it would be better to have them on all 4 so I'm wondering why they might insist that you don't. We're off to Les Menuires in the Three Valleys in a couple of weeks (half term).

Hi Sapto,

Thanks for the reply.

I'm not 4WD but the handbook adds "even for 4WD". I've never used chains before and it just feels like it would be better to have them on all 4 so I'm wondering why they might insist that you don't. We're off to Les Menuires in the Three Valleys in a couple of weeks (half term).

Hello stueypops

I am no expert in 4WD&I am sure someone else can explain that, however I guess it is because even with 4WD the front wheels are the ones which get a tick more "power" in case of sliding (sorry for my English, I hope you get the point).

However I think it is good to have some snowchains (on the camping there might be more snow-mud than on the road) and I used it to drive down because driving uphill is very often easier than down with no "grip".

You could speak to Snowchains.co.uk. They don't stock Thule but they do recommend three different snow chains for the T5 Transporter. I've used Wessenfels Clack and Go on two different vehicles. Fit easily and work well..

It works out fine. Mounting was easy. Size seems correct, go for the LT46 not the LT45.

View attachment 18579
thinking about buying the same chains but not sure they are suitable for a cali ocean T6 4motion with max weight of 3080kg. maggi group catalogue has a different product range for light commercial vehicles , unfortunately not for tire size 235/55r17. have you used your lt46 chains already in real snow/ice conditions ?