Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

So many Issues!

Interesting to read owners views on this topic. We have now sold our Cali. I have owned four transporters over many years. All were factory converted 3 by Autosleeper, with factory sliding glass windows, as they was based on the multi van so a better spec base vehicle.. they all suffered the leaking windows, to an extent that the damage to one was almost beyond repair, it had damaged the units. After fitting brand new replacements and to be told by VW technical that they will still leak is shocking.
Every vehicle has faults, BMW, Fiat etc etc, the more we seem to love a vehicle, the more tolerant of these faults we seem to be. The fact that these California’s are now costing more than £70000 is more than likely causing their owners to think long and hard about whether the ongoing faults should be accepted as the norm and more importantly a dealers lack of interest in wanting to support customers through the repair or not as the case maybe.
Modem diesel engines are designed to fail with their complex emission related components, hence why most owners want new Californias with extended expensive warranties, rather than used, as they know they will fail at some point. Yes there are many owners that will say their vans are wonderful, despite leaking pop tops that we shouldn’t use in the rain, side windows that leak and a lot of condensation that can cause many issues with electronics… are they fit for purpose? more than likely not.
I also appreciate that we live in a mad world where people can justify spending incredible amounts of money on vehicles, sometimes second vehicles and justify their reasons accordingly with some very convincing stories..

2 years, 30k+ miles, 100 nights use - no issues just lots of fun.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

And, 8 + years, 123,000 miles, at least 500+ nights, lost count, and apart from an EGR valve changed at 900 miles due to an electrical fault we’re still loving it.

One thing I will take issue with, that the California is a converted Transporter.
It is not. A conversion would be a vehicle that is built in one form and use and then converted to another form and use.
The California is based on a Transporter but built from the ground up as a California with its own roof system, not a solid metal roof with a hole cut in it and a fibreglass top hat.
A converted transporter or based on a transporter. Does it matter in the context of what I write? I want to point out that it is one of the best. I do know how it's made.
But if it makes you feel better: you're also right and the way it's made, makes it in a way a better converted van than all the others ;) Anyway: what I wrote is much more than what you have issue with.
Greetings
Calibusje

A converted transporter or based on a transporter. Does it matter in the context of what I write? I want to point out that it is one of the best. I do know how it's made.
But if it makes you feel better: you're also right and the way it's made, makes it in a way a better converted van than all the others ;) Anyway: what I wrote is much more than what you have issue with.
Greetings
Calibusje
IMG_2175.jpeg
Accuracy counts.

Interesting to read owners views on this topic. We have now sold our Cali. I have owned four transporters over many years. All were factory converted 3 by Autosleeper, with factory sliding glass windows, as they was based on the multi van so a better spec base vehicle.. they all suffered the leaking windows, to an extent that the damage to one was almost beyond repair, it had damaged the units. After fitting brand new replacements and to be told by VW technical that they will still leak is shocking.
Every vehicle has faults, BMW, Fiat etc etc, the more we seem to love a vehicle, the more tolerant of these faults we seem to be. The fact that these California’s are now costing more than £70000 is more than likely causing their owners to think long and hard about whether the ongoing faults should be accepted as the norm and more importantly a dealers lack of interest in wanting to support customers through the repair or not as the case maybe.
Modem diesel engines are designed to fail with their complex emission related components, hence why most owners want new Californias with extended expensive warranties, rather than used, as they know they will fail at some point. Yes there are many owners that will say their vans are wonderful, despite leaking pop tops that we shouldn’t use in the rain, side windows that leak and a lot of condensation that can cause many issues with electronics… are they fit for purpose? more than likely not.
I also appreciate that we live in a mad world where people can justify spending incredible amounts of money on vehicles, sometimes second vehicles and justify their reasons accordingly with some very convincing stories..
Sorry to read this: you have clearly been a disgruntled transporter and cali owner. However, you should not take your own experiences as a reference and dismiss the positive ones as stories. By the way: why should the electronics not fit for purpose due to 'window leaking or al lot of condensation'? Also: we don't have a leaking poptop and use it in the rain. Finally: we paid less than 60000 euros for a new t6.1 coast full of options (2020) and I don't think I'm crazy to spend this on the most suitable vehicle for us to make our travels.
I always rate my california fairly. Just look up what I already wrote and you will notice this.

'Thanks' for your lesson. Now, let it go, you'll feel better. Do something other than getting excited and wanting to be right.
Oh Dear. Didn’t mean to upset.

Oh Dear. Didn’t mean to upset.
accusatory count? Really, why are you even doing this? You don't agree with just about everything I wrote, you made that clear to me several times. So: wouldn't you be better off putting me on ignore and preoccupying yourself with other people? it's just annoying, you don't upset me. Don't flatter yourself ;)

If you had your Cambelt and water pump replaced very recently then it didn’t need doing unless your mileage was very high.
VW new criteria is now replace every “10 years” or 160k miles.
It’s been a terrific money spinner for VW but now they have been sussed and had to admit they were wrong. Now the UK is the Same as the rest of Europe.
Really? Is that true and accurate? I've been very suspicious of VW UK's policy compared to German's policy.
Our T6 Cali Beach is 5 years old this month (August) with 24k miles and already a year overdue according to the VW dealership.
Similarly, the 'All In' service package. As far as I'm aware Transporters are a 2 yearly service schedule. The 'All In' service package works on an annual service schedule making the deal unattractive. Another money spinner.

I think most Calis are occasional use. Besides an annual oil change I see no reason to do more than that on a regular basis. At my current rate of use I will have less than 15K miles after 4 years.

Newish MY23 Cali Coast Edition 204HP 4Mo with new bellows. After 5k+ km I can say I am very happy. Yes it has a couple of minor niggles that I might expect for any new vehicle eg a few drips of water entering along the tailgate seal. This should be an easy fix with seal adjustment or adding an additional secondary seal. No biggie. I do have concern about the bellows issue but so far no leaking. I expect a proper fix will be available if I get one.
Do you have a link to the secondary seal?

accusatory count? Really, why are you even doing this? You don't agree with just about everything I wrote, you made that clear to me several times. So: wouldn't you be better off putting me on ignore and preoccupying yourself with other people? it's just annoying, you don't upset me. Don't flatter yourself ;)
I understand English may not be your first language but please read what I actually posted and not what you imagined. I agreed with everything you said apart from the use of the word " conversion " in relation to the California. Even the Auto Trade consider the California a Campervan built from scratch as a Campervan, based on a Transporter chassis rather than a Transporter Panel van that has been converted . That has been the whole ethos of the California, a bespoke Campervan built by one manufacturer on a dedicated production line.

Thanks, I leave it here, It's not worth the discussion and I think it is obvious what I mean with what I wrote, whether converted of based on, it is problably he best one you can buy if a small campervan is it for you.
For us it is definitely what we want and just did 5400 km of which 2200 through France (back and forth) and the rest in Northern Spain. I'm going to enjoy our travel photos and can recommend the region to everyone (don't want to hijack this thread).

I think you probably did. Otherwise you would Have worded it better or left it alone……
Why? A perfectly valid point relating to the use of a certain word. No offence was intended in my original post.

Thanks, I leave it here, It's not worth the discussion and I think it is obvious what I mean with what I wrote, whether converted of based on, it is problably he best one you can buy if a small campervan is it for you.
For us it is definitely what we want and just did 5400 km of which 2200 through France (back and forth) and the rest in Northern Spain. I'm going to enjoy our travel photos and can recommend the region to everyone (don't want to hijack this thread).
On this last, non-controversial, subject thank you for the tip of:

https://www.campingcarpark.com/en_GB/

just what I was looking for, and hoping they will spread across the rest of Europe.

If you had your Cambelt and water pump replaced very recently then it didn’t need doing unless your mileage was very high.
VW new criteria is now replace every “10 years” or 160k miles.
It’s been a terrific money spinner for VW but now they have been sussed and had to admit they were wrong. Now the UK is the Same as the rest of Europe.
As I understand it, the "...or 160k miles." figure is incorrect. I believe the distance is 160k KM and thus 100k MILES. That also tallies with the letter from VM Commercials posted weearlier in this thread.

As I understand it, the "...or 160k miles." figure is incorrect. I believe the distance is 160k KM and thus 100k MILES. That also tallies with the letter from VM Commercials posted weearlier in this thread.
That sounds more reasonable. It was 110K miles in my Audi B7 A4. Failed at 96K miles

California Ocean T6, bought new from Liverpool VW and now starting our 5th year of ownership. Definitely a complex vehicle so lots could be problematic, but for us nothing really major has gone awry.
During the last service, cam belt and water pump replacement ( as is required ) we did feel this was an expensive requirement and on a less complex vehicle would probably have questioned its need. There was a wee ‘ad blue’ issue resolved under warranty at this point, which I’ve noticed mentioned previously on the forum.
The only other issue has been a small ‘star lock’ from the underside table leg fixing which we hope to resolve ourselves.
We don’t have kids in the van, but we do have a big boisterous Labrador, not a chewer I might add, so I guess there are lots of us who have as relatively carefree travel as one could hope for nowadays.
We cook, eat, sleep, day trips and holiday in our van and try not to worry about ‘issues’.
We have however learned so much from the forum, including what ‘could be problematic’ and also the possible ‘fixes’.
Enjoy the journey.
We’re in our 11th year with this CalI, a T5 bought from new. We too had problems with the tiny screw coming out of the table leg. Such a silly detail but I resolved it by screwing it home as far as possible then taping it with a piece of duct tape. This was some years ago & we go to France for a month twice a year & it’s still ok. Not a brilliant detail though.

Can i first say how informative and helpful the answers to members problems are.
Having owned a t5 conversion for 9 years without any serious concerns, I decided to go for the California ocean , confident that being a factory produced item the quality would be better than my old model. I am so far very satisfied with the vehicle but concerned by the number of faults raised by members i am beginning to wonder if i have made the right choice. Can a few satisfied members happy with their new purchase raise their hands to put my mind at rest.
A forum is somewhere people come to get help with problems. It’s not representative of ownership in the round.
I’ve had 2 mechanical problems with my California and 3 camping side problems. But I’ve owned it nearly 15 years so one fault every 3 years.

It’s a fabulous vehicle. I tend to think the design is near perfect, the manufacture pretty solid and dealership expertise utterly woeful.

Back