Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Social isolating - Not!

I work for a Pharmaceutical Wholesaler. We are up 35% demand and down 30% staff. People are working 7 days per week,not because they want to or have to. Your Pharmacy and Hospital rely on us for medicine 52 weeks of the year, all over the UK.
I asked one of our FLT drivers why he had written our company name on his hi viz.He rides a bus into work everyday and other passengers had started to chastise him for being a greedy worker. These people are within the law for being on the bus I'm sure, sometimes we all need to do the right thing and a bit more to make up for ones that just don't get it.

The more people are on our roads driving about, the more avoidable accidents, this will result in more patients in high dependancy beds that have ventilators.

Don't have the numbers for this but I'm sure it would be >1

I'm off to walk my dog

Alf

There is nothing in the law, or the intent of the guidance or morally to suggest you should not drive to a local place to exercise. The view that you should not is simply an opinion, which is not based on the current government guidance. It’s not a loophole, its just acceptable.

Really ? When doing any of the 4 things permitted you should minimise time spent outside of the home ( see Government Guidance below) . If you drive to exercise you haven't really minimised anything as you could probably have done it immediately outside your house or, at the very least, the first open space you came to. Given this, at the very least, local would defined as very local as most people or within a few miles of an open space.

Plus by going in the car to exercise you have probably made an unnecessary journey. How was that journey necessary - does your neighborhood look like Beirut on a bad day ? In the vast majority of cases it might be desirable but not necessary to go elsewhere. Once again, if you do go elsewhere and you are not to travel unnecessarily and are meant to minimise the time spent out of the home, the place you go to would also have to be very close to home.

Given the emphasis on staying at home you probably haven't complied with the Spirit of the Rules either if you have jumped in the car, not unless something prevents you from truly walking or cycling outside your home.

Staying at home
You should only leave the house for very limited purposes:
  • shopping for basic necessities, for example food and medicine, which must be as infrequent as possible.
  • one form of exercise a day, for example a run, walk, or cycle - alone or with members of your household.
  • any medical need, including to donate blood, avoid or escape risk of injury or harm, or to provide care or to help a vulnerable person.
  • travelling for work purposes, but only where you cannot work from home
These reasons are exceptions - even when doing these activities, you should be minimising time spent outside of the home

Coronavirus – Guidance on access to green spaces

"stay local and use open spaces near to your home where possible – do not travel unnecessarily "

Anyway I have had enough of this and with a populist leader things will probably be made up on the hoof and change as we go along. I can see things being relaxed then going rather badly then being tightened up again and feel sorry for the poor old Police being caught up in the middle of it. People know the right thing to do whether they choose to do it or not is a different matter.

Really ? When doing any of the 4 things permitted you should minimise time spent outside of the home ( see Government Guidance below) . If you drive to exercise you haven't really minimised anything as you could probably have done it immediately outside your house or, at the very least, the first open space you came to. Given this, at the very least, local would defined as very local as most people or within a few miles of an open space.

Plus by going in the car to exercise you have probably made an unnecessary journey. How was that journey necessary - does your neighborhood look like Beirut on a bad day ? In the vast majority of cases it might be desirable but not necessary to go elsewhere. Once again, if you do go elsewhere and you are not to travel unnecessarily and are meant to minimise the time spent out of the home, the place you go to would also have to be very close to home.

Given the emphasis on staying at home you probably haven't complied with the Spirit of the Rules either if you have jumped in the car, not unless something prevents you from truly walking or cycling outside your home.

Staying at home
You should only leave the house for very limited purposes:
  • shopping for basic necessities, for example food and medicine, which must be as infrequent as possible.
  • one form of exercise a day, for example a run, walk, or cycle - alone or with members of your household.
  • any medical need, including to donate blood, avoid or escape risk of injury or harm, or to provide care or to help a vulnerable person.
  • travelling for work purposes, but only where you cannot work from home
These reasons are exceptions - even when doing these activities, you should be minimising time spent outside of the home

Coronavirus – Guidance on access to green spaces

"stay local and use open spaces near to your home where possible – do not travel unnecessarily "

Anyway I have had enough of this and with a populist leader things will probably be made up on the hoof and change as we go along. I can see things being relaxed then going rather badly then being tightened up again and feel sorry for the poor old Police being caught up in the middle of it. People know the right thing to do whether they choose to do it or not is a different matter.
His van is his home

I’ve been decorating all day and just wasted 10 minutes of my life reading this.

Who gives a monkeys about the exact wording or what someone said that contradicted someone else. These people are trying to stop a virus spreading and there’s people on here obsessed with every comma and full stop and possible interpretation of the guidance.

It’s obvious that you can’t leave it up to everyone to be sensible, there have to be simple rules. These aren’t laws that committees have spent months fine tuning. The spirit and purpose of them is obvious. If anyone thinks it’s more important to find a way round them so they can have a walk they need to have a good look in the mirror. Yes you could travel 100 miles, 10 miles whatever isolated in your car, don’t touch anything, don’t break down and need a breakdown truck, whatever.

We all need to follow the obvious intention of the guidance and stop this nonsense.

Mike
:agreed Best post of the day Mike.

From the article Amarillo linked:

Scotland’s chief medical officer, Catherine Calderwood, said on Friday that family groups could travel together in cars for short distances to exercise, but again reiterated the guidance to stay as close to home as possible.

Relatively clear here in France, exercising allowed if you stay within 1 km from where you live (no getting in the car to drive somewhere), you still need your attestation (signed, dated and indicating time when completed), or you will be fined 135€ if controlled by the Police.

From the article Amarillo linked:

Scotland’s chief medical officer, Catherine Calderwood, said on Friday that family groups could travel together in cars for short distances to exercise, but again reiterated the guidance to stay as close to home as possible.

That's devolution for you!

The lock down message has been issued by the UK goverment. There should be no need for any further messages from elsewhere, especially if they are in any way contradictory.

Anyway isn't Bristol in England?

The lock down message has been issued by the UK goverment. There should be no need for any further messages from elsewhere, especially if they are in any way contradictory.

It's a bloody postcode lottery. Here in South Bucks you're only permitted to visit Waitrose in a Range Rover Sport, a Mercedes or a white Fiat 500 (if still in the sixth form at school). So life is quite normal, really.

Blast and damn. I was taking my dogs out to the New Forest once a day for a long walk. Might pass one or two people in 90mins. Now I have to take them around the common and will probably pass 100s of people

The Forest is 5miles away. My young Boxer dog, Ted, is hyper and needs to be run off the lead. (He will cover 3x the distance we travel).

I use the hybrid so elec out and back so I don't need to stop for fuel.

Please stay at home it's important especially for those who are more vulnerable.
read this to help you understand :-
Good read from an immunologist at Johns Hopkins University.

Not really feeling sick and do not want to be..but if you are feeling confused as to why Coronavirus is a bigger deal than Seasonal flu? Here it is in a nutshell. I hope this helps. Feel free to share this to others who don’t understand...

It has to do with RNA sequencing.... I.e. genetics.

Seasonal flu is an “all human virus”. The DNA/RNA chains that make up the virus are recognized by the human immune system. This means that your body has some immunity to it before it comes around each year... you get immunity two ways...through exposure to a virus, or by getting a flu shot.

Novel viruses, come from animals.... the WHO tracks novel viruses in animals, (sometimes for years watching for mutations). Usually these viruses only transfer from animal to animal (pigs in the case of H1N1) (birds in the case of the Spanish flu). But once, one of these animal viruses mutates, and starts to transfer from animals to humans... then it’s a problem, Why? Because we have no natural or acquired immunity.. the RNA sequencing of the genes inside the virus isn’t human, and the human immune system doesn’t recognize it so, we can’t fight it off.

Now.... sometimes, the mutation only allows transfer from animal to human, for years it’s only transmission is from an infected animal to a human before it finally mutates so that it can now transfer human to human... once that happens..we have a new contagion phase. And depending on the fashion of this new mutation, thats what decides how contagious, or how deadly it’s gonna be..

H1N1 was deadly....but it did not mutate in a way that was as deadly as the Spanish flu. It’s RNA was slower to mutate and it attacked its host differently, too.

Fast forward.

Now, here comes this Coronavirus... it existed in animals only, for nobody knows how long...but one day, at an animal market, in Wuhan China, in December 2019, it mutated and made the jump from animal to people. At first, only animals could give it to a person... But here is the scary part.... in just TWO WEEKS it mutated again and gained the ability to jump from human to human. Scientists call this quick ability, “slippery”

This Coronavirus, not being in any form a “human” virus (whereas we would all have some natural or acquired immunity). Took off like a rocket. And this was because, Humans have no known immunity...doctors have no known medicines for it.

And it just so happens that this particular mutated animal virus, changed itself in such a way the way that it causes great damage to human lungs..

That’s why Coronavirus is different from seasonal flu, or H1N1 or any other type of influenza.... this one is slippery AF. And it’s a lung eater...And, it’s already mutated AGAIN, so that we now have two strains to deal with, strain s, and strain L....which makes it twice as hard to develop a vaccine.

We really have no tools in our shed, with this. History has shown that fast and immediate closings of public places has helped in the past pandemics. Philadelphia and Baltimore were reluctant to close events in 1918 and they were the hardest hit in the US during the Spanish Flu.

Factoid: Henry VIII stayed in his room and allowed no one near him, till the Black Plague passed...(honestly...I understand him so much better now). Just like us, he had no tools in his shed, except social isolation...

And let me end by saying....right now it’s hitting older folks harder... but this genome is so slippery...if it mutates again (and it will). Who is to say, what it will do next.

Be smart folks... acting like you’re unafraid is so not needed right now.

#flattenthecurve. Stay home folks... and share this to those that just are not catching on.

Blast and damn. I was taking my dogs out to the New Forest once a day for a long walk. Might pass one or two people in 90mins. Now I have to take them around the common and will probably pass 100s of people

The Forest is 5miles away. My young Boxer dog, Ted, is hyper and needs to be run off the lead. (He will cover 3x the distance we travel).

I use the hybrid so elec out and back so I don't need to stop for fuel.

So is that Local?
:Nailbiting :pinkbanana

It’s not contradictory, and I’m not in Bristol.

Social distancing appears to have made people significantly more polite where I live. Historically if I'm out for an early morning jog or dog walk and say "Hello" as I pass someone, not all will respond.

Now, people are moving to the edge of the pavement or moving into the road and every single one of those goes to great pains to make eye contact and say "Good morning" or "Hello"

It's as if they feel guilty for moving away and feel compelled to quell any potential bad feelings!

I hear that Uusimaa has just tightened its lockdown. Is that where you are?
Yes, I was there yesterday and read this was coming so I moved to a national park just outside last night. I want to keep my options open so I can drive back through Sweden if I need to, although I think they let you through if you’re going home.

Thank heavens the bloke in the sh White House is on the ball

trump-2.jpg

I think everyone has an understanding of the facts that are available.
Maybe some acceptance that different people have different views, accept different risk levels for themselves, have different understanding of the weighted risk they have on others, and therefore different views on how they/others need to act.....well it might help stop this forum becoming a self appointed club for the self-righteous and indignant?
I’m not for one moment saying that any specific person has done anything right or wrong.....just saying that a society is made up of all different people with different views....and I for one don’t assume that my way of looking at things is the only right way.
See you on the other side?