Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Solar cable run - access?

BenCar

BenCar

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi Forum,
I'm planning on adding a solar panel to my T6 Ocean. I plan on doing it myself to make it as discrete as possible.
I'm currently working on cable routing from roof panel down to controller.
I'm planing on having a single hole through the roof just above the LED foot light in the pop top bed. I'll then use the bellows pocket to channel the cable downwards.
Then I'm stuck, I get that the cable exits via the grommet shown, but how do I access it below that. Which bit of trim do I need to disassemble?
Many thanks for any knowledge.
Ben
Solar 1.jpgSolar 12.jpg

This is probably what you're after:

This is probably what you're after:

Thanks, I've read that and am aiming for something equally discrete.
However, I'm after info on how to access the back of the grommet. Any ideas?

Thanks, I've read that and am aiming for something equally discrete.
However, I'm after info on how to access the back of the grommet. Any ideas?
The only guy who did a perfectionist's job, as far as I know, is @California_Ocean . I'm not sure if he's still contactable since he sold up.

Why drill a hole in the roof? Seems drastic, fraught with future issues and limits your ability to remove and resell if someone does not want a Cali with a hole in the roof. Just come down the back into the back door wiring rubber boot?

Why drill a hole in the roof? Seems drastic, fraught with future issues and limits your ability to remove and resell if someone does not want a Cali with a hole in the roof. Just come down the back into the back door wiring rubber boot?
I've nothing against drilling a small protected hole in the roof to get an OEM looking solution. I will use a marine grommet which is very discrete.

Does anyone know how to access inside this part of the rear trim?

Solar 12.jpg

I've nothing against drilling a small protected hole in the roof to get an OEM looking solution. I will use a marine grommet which is very discrete.

Does anyone know how to access inside this part of the rear trim?

View attachment 128605
I ran a wire across the back of here for my rear dashcam camera. You can "sort of" get in there via the airplane locker.

I'm also baffled. I just put a small nick in the grommet and went into the wardrobe from there.
I get that people are baffled by my plan! For me putting cables through the boot door seal is a bit like putting the garden hose on the kitchen tap through a window. I may end up doing that but I think this picture is a far more elegant solution and looks more OEM.Unbenannt-1-3.png

IMO, if it is done well, it is not a minus value. All the solar panels on the "big whites" are placed like that. And a good solar panel is an added value.

Is there any way to go through the roof "inside" the rails, i.e. in the slot? I realise sealing it might be harder, probably have to squirt a blob of silicone in there unless you can get the grommet in from inside, and you'd have to think about placement, but that way there'd be no hole in the main visible parts of the roof and it's very unlikely a future owner would ever see it even if you removed the setup?

IMO, if it is done well, it is not a minus value. All the solar panels on the "big whites" are placed like that. And a good solar panel is an added value.
However on a "big white" the roof is 3m up and some of the installations are "unsightly" but only seen by passing helicopters and low flying RAF pilots so less of a problem. Also "Big White" roofs don't move and are made of one inch thick GRP, where a very liberal application of sikaflex just adds to the charm. A California owner would not appreciate this type of installation. A Solar Panel Installation on a Pop Top California should be removable so as to not affect the manufacturers bodywork warranty or you will be just giving VW unnecessary wiggle room!

Genuine question, no intention to be argumentative. Do you think this large white plastic fitting and black tubing is less obvious than the curly cable?

I appreciate one is visible from the rear of the van, but I am not certain it looks OEM.

IMG_4401.jpeg

Similar boxes are available in black which would be less obtrusive unless the base vehicle was a light or white colour. IMO a curly cable with two connectors so it is removable when travelling would be the simplest solution. The cable is less likely to work harden and break through continuous bending

Is there any way to go through the roof "inside" the rails, i.e. in the slot? I realise sealing it might be harder, probably have to squirt a blob of silicone in there unless you can get the grommet in from inside, and you'd have to think about placement, but that way there'd be no hole in the main visible parts of the roof and it's very unlikely a future owner would ever see it even if you removed the setup?
In the black end caps, you have a plastic tab that you can pull out.
Under the cap, there is a small hole. It should be closed up with silicone, but if you remove the silicone, you should be able to put a cable through. But I don't think that hole is big enough. So you first would have to make the hole bigger, and try to wriggle the cable between the head liner and the roof to the back to be able to route the cable down to where you put your inverter.

I get that people are baffled by my plan! For me putting cables through the boot door seal is a bit like putting the garden hose on the kitchen tap through a window. I may end up doing that but I think this picture is a far more elegant solution and looks more OEM.View attachment 128618
What make are the solar panels shown in the photo, look neat and low profile.

What make are the solar panels shown in the photo, look neat and low profile.
It’s one you can get from Germany. They charge a lot for it, but you can get the panel and low profile chassis separate cheaper from the supplier. I prefer this low profile look to Rogers home made aluminium frame personbally so will go for it one day and swap mine out.

It’s one you can get from Germany. They charge a lot for it, but you can get the panel and low profile chassis separate cheaper from the supplier. I prefer this low profile look to Rogers home made aluminium frame personbally so will go for it one day and swap mine out.

The advantage of Roger’s for us on our old van was that are super light and allow greater flexibility in roof bar placement as most of the roof channel is left unblocked. Especially if you have more than 1 panel fitted and pull the edges together so they are flush (obviously not relevant if roof bars are not used).

And does the califaktur kit in the photo allow for ventilation under the panel?

IMG_1879.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi Forum,
I'm planning on adding a solar panel to my T6 Ocean. I plan on doing it myself to make it as discrete as possible.
I'm currently working on cable routing from roof panel down to controller.
I'm planing on having a single hole through the roof just above the LED foot light in the pop top bed. I'll then use the bellows pocket to channel the cable downwards.
Then I'm stuck, I get that the cable exits via the grommet shown, but how do I access it below that. Which bit of trim do I need to disassemble?
Many thanks for any knowledge.
Ben
View attachment 128599View attachment 128600
Hi - think the best route is to make a tiny hole (with grommet) at the top of the pop top fabric, the entry hole is protected by a slight overhang of the roof. Then follow the same route as the LED cable - then through the grommet. Threading through to the wardrobe area is not so easy but possible, there are no hidden barriers. This, i think, makes the neatest installation. No drilling holes in the roof, just a tiny hole in the fabric.

In time I may do the same. That said it’s a pricey upgrade for something that is more function than form. I don’t often look at the roof!