Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Spare wheel safelock

B

BeeBee

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
We just fitted the 'safelock' on the spare wheel bought from forum shop...dont know if we're not tightening RH bolt sufficiently as the red metal clamp can wobble around...any advice welcome !

Have you looked at the informative video of fitting a spare safe on this forum ?

Thanks..watched it again and off out to have another go...the red 'clamp' on the video looks much tighter fit so maybe we need to tighten the bolt ... here goes !

Don’t strip the thread by over tightening

Take it off and check that the bolt fit in the tube ?

Check the bolt is not bent

If both are as they should be try aligning the spare safe again making sure the forked Part of the spare safe fits around the bracket on the wheel carrier

If the super safe or bolt is not straight you will have a problem fitting

Does your fit like this ? The fork goes either side of the spacer, it should fit square to the bolt hole ?
6DD06C14-DD2F-4B11-BEA7-6BDD2C5B93D3.jpeg

Just checking but is your spare an alloy?
The safe lock has a longer bolt for alloy wheels so iif t’s a steel spare the bolt will be too long and won’t tighten all the way given the thinner wheel construction :thumb

thanks for all of the very useful responses..turns out the original RH bolt was in at an angle as the wheel holding plate needed to be pulled forward. bolt had 'threaded'on coming out...got it retapped and new bolt and spare safe now on ..phew supposed to be a 5min job ...'retired female' on a very steep learning curve, but its a journey !

Just checking but is your spare an alloy?
The safe lock has a longer bolt for alloy wheels so iif t’s a steel spare the bolt will be too long and won’t tighten all the way given the thinner wheel construction :thumb
my spare is a steel, but the bolt removed is the same length as the sparesafe one!

Does your fit like this ? The fork goes either side of the spacer, it should fit square to the bolt hole ?
View attachment 44339

not quite like that ...I know this is what it looks like in the pics I've seen but ours is sitting at 90 degree to this... hope its just superficial !

Sorry to be dense, but can someone tell me if they have fitted the metal cover for the locking bolt and if so, how they fit and how the 2-part plastic pull is meant to work. Worried if I fit the metal cover to protect the nut from clogging with dirt, I’ll never be able to get it back off again!

Sorry to be dense, but can someone tell me if they have fitted the metal cover for the locking bolt and if so, how they fit and how the 2-part plastic pull is meant to work. Worried if I fit the metal cover to protect the nut from clogging with dirt, I’ll never be able to get it back off again!
Nope, never used the metal cap. Was worries about exactly that and from the instructions could not figure out head or tails. Once in a while, when checking the spare tire , a squirt of wd40 has helped me so far.

Nope, never used the metal cap. Was worries about exactly that and from the instructions could not figure out head or tails. Once in a while, when checking the spare tire , a squirt of wd40 has helped me so far.
Thank you. Good to know yours has stayed clear with the WD40.

I do use the metal cap, a little grease on the inside to prevent corrosion, the two part puller is simply an interference fit over the steel cap, simply put the stick in the cap, press the plastic puller onto the metal cap and pull the metal cap off, it’s not the best design but does work ok. Kurienp Wd40 periodically keep it all free moving

Did you put the metal cap in to the plastic one and then put it on to the nut and leave it all in place? I can’t even get my metal cap to fit in the plastic cap when it’s not in place, which is why I’m so worried about fitting it and then not being able to get it back off again.

@Dr-Snickers , i've pushed in a champagne cork ....fits nicely and no dirt gets in , also have my doubts on that metal cap ;)

Did you put the metal cap in to the plastic one and then put it on to the nut and leave it all in place? I can’t even get my metal cap to fit in the plastic cap when it’s not in place, which is why I’m so worried about fitting it and then not being able to get it back off again.
That is an interference fit, one part is forced onto another, as I said it’s not the best design but it does work, , just push the metal cop on with your finger. If the paranoia kicks in try to take it back of immediately, it works ( grease the inside off the metal cap lightly before fitting and after spraying WD40 or similar such as silicone / ptfe spray liberally on the thread and cap, allowing any excess to dissipate

That is an interference fit, one part is forced onto another, as I said it’s not the best design but it does work, , just push the metal cop on with your finger. If the paranoia kicks in try to take it back of immediately, it works ( grease the inside off the metal cap lightly before fitting and after spraying WD40 or similar such as silicone / ptfe spray liberally on the thread and cap, allowing any excess to dissipate
I tried to simulate the ‘interference fit’ by putting my metal clip on a hard surface and tried to push the plastic cap down on to it. Not a chance! And I’m sure that would be far easier than trying to push It upwards inside the spare safe.

Back