Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Spare wheel stolen - despite Trilock wheel lock

• Thread starter ThisIsChristoph
  • Start date
Maybe I'm overlooking something but why don't people use the doughnut style spares? Doesn't have to be a perfect match size wise. I had one in my Audi S4 and used it in anger just once in the 5 years I owned the car. Worked just fine.
Why would you use one of those?

My limited research shows that they have a weight limit that is far less than 1/4 of a Cali.
Load rating on one I checked was 775kg, so if the Cali is fully loaded it slightly exceeds the maximum.

Load rating on one I checked was 775kg, so if the Cali is fully loaded it slightly exceeds the maximum.
So doesnt meet the load rating required - doesn't matter if the vehicle is fully loaded or not.
I just don't know why anyone would consider using one when a basic 17" steel wheel designed specifically for the vehicle is available economically.

Much ta
This is the risk with old spare tyres; they can look fine when in situ but as soon as they get used the rubber can crack from the movement. Can’t remember but fairly sure 10 years is the recommended limit for tyre age?
Much talk of 5 to 6 years life now but 10 years seems logical limit due to rubber hardening making for little grip and high risk of cracking or blow outs. Recently had to replace 7 year old tires due to cracking as a safety issue not wear on my car at 14K miles.

Hi all, early this morning our spare wheel got stolen from under our van. I had only just replaced one of the bolts with a Trilock wheel lock! I didn’t fancy the size and aesthetics (and the weight?) of the big red thing some here seem to be using.
I purchased the Trilock from the club shop a while ago, and will be reviewing it appropriately..!
What is the consensus these days on how to best protect the spare?

I never used the spare so I don’t even know what it looks like. Any ideas on what a replacement would be? Same size of current wheel/tire?
Only put a worn tyre on spare that’s still legal just there in case of emergency. Then not an attractive steal . But will save a new wheel purchase

Sorry to hear about this...

Reminds me. I have a 17" thunder alloy and tyre that i need to advertise
we had it underslung as a spare wheel to match others but have 18" wheels now so put the steel back under .....

Will the big red thing work if you have a vw factory fitted towbar? I see to recall seeing somewhere that it won’t….?

Hi all, early this morning our spare wheel got stolen from under our van. I had only just replaced one of the bolts with a Trilock wheel lock! I didn’t fancy the size and aesthetics (and the weight?) of the big red thing some here seem to be using.
I purchased the Trilock from the club shop a while ago, and will be reviewing it appropriately..!

I never used the spare so I don’t even know what it looks like. Any ideas on what a replacement would be? Same size of current wheel/tire?
Interesting, I have a new vehicle less than a month old if I need to buy something else to cover a design fault then VW Finance will be getting a strong letter. I think it’s unacceptable for VW to assume their clients accept their design flaws.

I’ve decided to put the spare inside the van as a means to try and stop this from happening. It’s not ideal but out of sight….

Interesting, I have a new vehicle less than a month old if I need to buy something else to cover a design fault then VW Finance will be getting a strong letter. I think it’s unacceptable for VW to assume their clients accept their design flaws.
Tell me your not serious, please.

Link to the Big Red Thing?

I considered the anti theft red thingy and looked at the installation of the wheel carrier. If someone wants it they will cut or straighten the 3mm hinge pin at the back.

I also found a need to jack up the vehicle to get the spare out or you need destroy the spare wheel carrier, with a 16" it might come out without jacking, or is it only for those with the towbar?

Last edited:
I considered the anti theft red thingy and looked at the installation of the wheel carrier. If someone wants it they will cut or straighten the 3mm hinge pin at the back.

I also found a need to jack up the vehicle to get the spare out or you need destroy the spare wheel carrier, with a 16" it might come out without jacking, or is it only for those with the towbar?

its extremely difficult to get at the hinge pin unless the van is jacked up, the only way to reach it is from the rear of the van as the rear wheel of the van is the way at the side. Assuming you have managed to remove the pin the upturned leg of the carrier prevents the wheel being removed, if you've managed to flatten the leg of the carrier you are now trying get the spare onto the floor under the middle of the van & you've got to extract it from there somehow.

Unless you've gone for the full swamper look & have a jacked up van no-one is going to be nicking your spare just by releasing the hinge pin.

I noticed on my 17 inch 235’s I dropped the bracket to grease it all up and due to the chunkier profile I couldn’t remove it without jacking up rear near side so that’s good security in itself!

its extremely difficult to get at the hinge pin unless the van is jacked up, the only way to reach it is from the rear of the van as the rear wheel of the van is the way at the side. Assuming you have managed to remove the pin the upturned leg of the carrier prevents the wheel being removed, if you've managed to flatten the leg of the carrier you are now trying get the spare onto the floor under the middle of the van & you've got to extract it from there somehow.

Unless you've gone for the full swamper look & have a jacked up van no-one is going to be nicking your spare just by releasing the hinge pin.
It's difficult for sure but not impossible. It happen to a lad in a large multi story hence why I looked at the installation.

I noticed on my 17 inch 235’s I dropped the bracket to grease it all up and due to the chunkier profile I couldn’t remove it without jacking up rear near side so that’s good security in itself!
Same as my experience.

I’d say get the big red thing. My VW supplied anti theft bolt was easily overcome by thieves but they’ve not bothered since the red, now looking slightly less red but was fitted

In an interesting turn of events, I just heard back from the manufacturers of the Trilock. I don’t quite know where to begin with this, but I’ll leave this here for now - I’d be interested in your views.
Again, thanks all for the recommendations. It’ll be the Big Red Thing then.

But I will forward the email to the club shop, perhaps that disclaimer could feature as one of the reviews.
c3ee009865fd948b657b49ff8b8c309e.jpg

The I trilock is designed to be used on an alloy wheel. If you look at the vw alloys fitted to the van the head of the trilock fits in a recess in the wheel hub so you can’t get a set of grips on it. Using it in a position where the head is fully exposed gives virtually no more protection than using a standard wheel bolt.

If you use a sparesafe it replicates the recess on an alloy wheel and protects the head of the bolt. To be secure you need to use a trilock and a sparesafe together.

Maybe I'm overlooking something but why don't people use the doughnut style spares? Doesn't have to be a perfect match size wise. I had one in my Audi S4 and used it in anger just once in the 5 years I owned the car. Worked just fine.
I think it has to be very close to the same size as the other wheels or you might get an ABS fault warning. Also there is the weight to consider. I’ve never seen a donut wheel on a van before.

Back