GrumpyGranddad

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
On the V5C document our California is shown as :
Body type: Motor caravan
Taxation Class: Private/Light Goods

Does anybody know whether the lower UK speed limits for vans, apply to a California?

Screenshot 2022-01-12 at 11.26.47.png

Motorcaravans are car speed limits as long as under 3.05 tonnes unladen. ( and not towing)

The only time a California Ocean/ SE / beach / Coast is not classed as a car for speed limits is some early ones (around 2010) were incorrectly registered as N1 Vans.

Grand Californias are a totally different answer!

Thanks Andy.

The van will be able to let you know soon, if the UK adopts the EU Rules:

It will be interesting to see if there is a difference in actual road speeds between vehicles as is the case with HGV's.
I'm sure that we've all experienced an HGV that takes up to 2 miles to get past a 'slower' one.

I did note that it has already been decided that any speeding offence can't be blamed on the speed limiter as the Driver is deemed to be in control legally.

Although speed limiters will become a legal requirement for vehicles sold in Europe from the middle of 2022 you will be able to turn them off. This is obviously just the precursor to total control of your vehicle by the black box speed limiter within the next few years. So regardless you will not be able to break the speed limits in new vehicles in a few years time.

All T6.1 Calis have the required speed limiter already that meet the 2022 requirements. The automated intelligent system isn't needed until 2024.

The 2024 legislation also allows you to break the speed limits with an override it will however be accompanied with warning gongs etc.
The T6.1 limiter ( and that fitted to our Mercedes) work like this already but without the gong. Kickdown on the accelerator lets you exceed the set limit but it is a deliberate action, you don't just creep over by accident.

All T6.1 Calis have the required speed limiter already that meet the 2022 requirements. The automated intelligent system isn't needed until 2024.

The 2024 legislation also allows you to break the speed limits with an override it will however be accompanied with warning gongs etc.
The T6.1 limiter ( and that fitted to our Mercedes) work like this already but without the gong. Kickdown on the accelerator lets you exceed the set limit but it is a deliberate action, you don't just creep over by accident.
Regarding the ‘gong’.
In our 6.1 with traffic sign recognition we have set it up to give both a visual and audible warning if we exceed the speed limit. Very useful aid.

Regarding the ‘gong’.
In our 6.1 with traffic sign recognition we have set it up to give both a visual and audible warning if we exceed the speed limit. Very useful aid.
I've got it set to just visual, as the gong was jarring. I have it set to 5mph over too, which is great for the motorway, but not in town. Be good if a 10% over speed limit warning was an option.

I bet that within the next 5 years every car will have a permanent system and it will be against the law to override it. So get used to max 70mph.

I bet that within the next 5 years every car will have a permanent system and it will be against the law to override it. So get used to max 70mph.

or 50mph as work begins on "smart" motorways V4.8

I would vote for a Max speed limit of 40mph for all UK drivers
with either a phone or cup of coffee in their hand.

or 50mph as work begins on "smart" motorways V4.8

Work has just been suspended on all new smart motorways.

Sometimes I think I’m alone in loving smart motorways - the ones where the hard shoulder has been turned into a permanent running lane. Not the hybrid mess around Luton.

Sometimes I think I’m alone in loving smart motorways - the ones where the hard shoulder has been turned into a permanent running lane. Not the hybrid mess around Luton.
Yes. Why v4.8:) When it all resumes in 5 years time

If you had ever broken down on one I'm not sure you would like them so much.

The ones round Luton are a safer implementation, if traffic is fast flowing the inside lane is a hard shoulder. When traffic is heavy & slow moving the lane is opened up to become a running lane.
The inside lane/ hard shoulder is never used as a running lane with a speed limit higher than 50mph.
For 2/3rds of the day & most importantly normally overnight in the dark that lane is hard shoulder only.

The laws are all made by people that don’t drive or have ever owned a vehicle.

Regarding the ‘gong’.
@GrumpyGranddad do you know if the traffic sign recognition works in France? I ask due to the many differences in the way that the 80kph limit is implemented or not as each department sees fit.
Others living in France or have been recent users of French roads may be able to confirm or deny.

Sometimes I think I’m alone in loving smart motorways - the ones where the hard shoulder has been turned into a permanent running lane.
The northbound M6 just before spaghetti junction is particularly frightening, the hard shoulder is flanked by a concrete parapet with a drop on the other side, so there is not even refuge for passengers when it is used as a running lane. Frightening - I can't understand why it is allowed.
The same applies to the parallel southbound lane.

If you had ever broken down on one I'm not sure you would like them so much.
Cars tend not to break down with the frequency they once did. And if you do break down, there must be a good chance you can coast or limp to the nearest refuge, unless some catastrophic failure like a lost wheel. But in those extreme cases you might not make it to the hard shoulder on a dumb motorway.

The ones round Luton are a safer implementation, if traffic is fast flowing the inside lane is a hard shoulder. When traffic is heavy & slow moving the lane is opened up to become a running lane.
The inside lane/ hard shoulder is never used as a running lane with a speed limit higher than 50mph.
For 2/3rds of the day & most importantly normally overnight in the dark that lane is hard shoulder only.
I hadn’t understood that about the Luton smartie. Thanks for explaining. If I recall correctly there are sections around Luton of permanent hard shoulder running and sections of peak hard shoulder running.

Cars tend not to break down with the frequency they once did. And if you do break down, there must be a good chance you can coast or limp to the nearest refuge, unless some catastrophic failure like a lost wheel. But in those extreme cases you might not make it to the hard shoulder on a dumb motorway.

I hadn’t understood that about the Luton smartie. Thanks for explaining. If I recall correctly there are sections around Luton of permanent hard shoulder running and sections of peak hard shoulder running.
Most IC vehicles that break down can coast to a refuge but not the case with an EV, so I am led to believe. Also, in common with most automatic transmissions they must be towed " wheels Up" as on a trailer.

Last edited:
The northbound M6 just before spaghetti junction is particularly frightening, the hard shoulder is flanked by a concrete parapet with a drop on the other side, so there is not even refuge for passengers when it is used as a running lane. Frightening - I can't understand why it is allowed.
The same applies to the parallel southbound lane.

This section?

If so, is this the type [mention]andyinluton [/mention] was referring to which is only used when the speed limit is 50mph or less?

Most IC vehicles that break down can coast to a refuge but not the case with an EV, so I am led to believe.

The section of smart motorway I use most frequently is between Sevenoaks and the M23.

There is some form of soft verge for all or most of that section.

If so, is this the type [mention]andyinluton [/mention] was referring to which is only used when the speed limit is 50mph or less?
I think that is correct. The only times that I have used it have been in heavy traffic when there has been a 50m.p.h.limit. On one occasion I had to follow a slow moving car showing hazard flashers until it reached the A38 junction; I was unable to change lanes because of the traffic density (as was the traffic behind me). The experience was a little disconcerting.

This section?

That's it - by default its a hard shoulder but opened in dense traffic times to become a running lane. In my opinion, still not ideal, but safer than having four full time running lanes & then trying to stop people using the inside lane if someone has broken down.

@GrumpyGranddad do you know if the traffic sign recognition works in France? I ask due to the many differences in the way that the 80kph limit is implemented or not as each department sees fit.
Others living in France or have been recent users of French roads may be able to confirm or deny.
Hi @rod_vw
Due to Covid restrictions we’ve not taken the van to France yet, so can’t help i’m afraid. However, I would expect the traffic sign system to work over there.

Back