Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Speed Limits

Most IC vehicles that break down can coast to a refuge but not the case with an EV, so I am led to believe. Also, in common with most automatic transmissions they must be towed " wheels Up" as on a trailer.
With the current spacing of refuges you'd be very fortunate to be able to coast to a refuge. One of the main issues with Refuges was that to save money the original spacing design criteria was more than doubled.
There is also the question of how do you coast from an outer lane to the next refuge through congested traffic? In danger terms you are probably safer stopping in the outside lane with a max of 3.5 tonnes behind rather than over 40 tonnes in the inside lane.

for those not familiar with inside lane/hard shoulder use you need to appreciate that you are in the HGV lane where visibility is only as far as the back of the HGV in front who has the same visibility issue when a vehicle stops/breaks down further ahead. A lane is now lost and traffic now has to move into the next lane which is solid with vehicles, hard shoulder only open in congested traffic.

The traffic sign recognition actually reads the physical sign, so if the sign on the post is wrong , ie the limit has since changed but the post not changed, it will read the incorrect limit.
The speed limit in the sat nav uses mapping data rather than physical signs, so doesn't always match what's on the signs - ie very recent change of limit / roadworks etc.

The traffic sign recognition actually reads the physical sign, so if the sign on the post is wrong , ie the limit has since changed but the post not changed, it will read the incorrect limit.
The speed limit in the sat nav uses mapping data rather than physical signs, so doesn't always match what's on the signs - ie very recent change of limit / roadworks etc.
Waze satnav seems to be quickest to update temp speeds / temp speed cameras for roadworks etc

With the current spacing of refuges you'd be very fortunate to be able to coast to a refuge. One of the main issues with Refuges was that to save money the original spacing design criteria was more than doubled.
There is also the question of how do you coast from an outer lane to the next refuge through congested traffic? In danger terms you are probably safer stopping in the outside lane with a max of 3.5 tonnes behind rather than over 40 tonnes in the inside lane.

for those not familiar with inside lane/hard shoulder use you need to appreciate that you are in the HGV lane where visibility is only as far as the back of the HGV in front who has the same visibility issue when a vehicle stops/breaks down further ahead. A lane is now lost and traffic now has to move into the next lane which is solid with vehicles, hard shoulder only open in congested traffic.
But you have the same problem coasting from the outer lane to a Hard Shoulder across the intermediate lanes.
Most of the systems I've come across have been switched on when traffic density is high, speed limits reduced to 50 mph or less and predominantly used as an additional slip road lane for a junction , similar to the American system where the inner lane is the next junction slip road/lane.

Re speed limiters: My wife's BMW has a speed limiter which she never uses. I rather like it and use it a lot. Which probably explains why she has more speed points on her licence than i do.

Re speed limiters: My wife's BMW has a speed limiter which she never uses. I rather like it and use it a lot. Which probably explains why she has more speed points on her licence than i do.
Our first speed limiter was on a Mini Cooper and found it great. We have one also on our Focus ST which I use all the time but like you my wife doesn’t use it much at all.

Back