Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Stand up - Paddle boarding

We're staying in Gavres, on the southernmost plot in the site. :)

Lots of strong tides there but we have the same here in the CI. 6-7kts pretty common on spring tides. No paddling against that!

Anywhere specifically recommended? We'll have bikes, the SUP and are renting a Hobie for a few days.

We cycled from St Cado where we were staying to Gavres and did a loop of that site to check it out. Looked good and a great location. You can get a ferry (foot & bike only) across to Port Louis.
We did all our paddling from the (small) beach in St Cado. Had intended to also try the Gulf de Morhiban but not enough time.
The roads were quiet for cycling and drivers much more considerate, the only close pass was from a GB motorhome. Explored a lot of the little lanes, some of which were a bit more gravel than the Garmin indicated!
Quiberon peninsular was good, there is a cycle lane along a lot of it and then follow the less used roads on the western side. Also visited (on the bikes) the stones at Carnac and had Moules fritts in Trinite-sur-mer.
The U boat base (La Base) in Lorient was interesting and worth a visit.It also has an offshore sailing side to it that you can visit. That (the sailing side) seemed aimed at a younger audience so we did a 'tour of the yachts'. This wasn't as good as I hoped as in French (we had been warned) and really wasnt much more than the guide taking us round the pontoons pointing at the various classes. I had hoped we would be allowed onto some of the Open 40s or even Vendee globe ones but non.
I will try and post some pics over the w/e

There's quite a big SUP school in Bristol in the Docks. I was walking around the other evening and noticed them by the SS Great Britain.
P1000316.JPG P1000317.JPG
Must give an interesting viewpoint of the harbour and locations around it.

Get her to try first at the Lymington sea water baths, you can hire a board by the hour, safe situation and pretty warm water at the moment.

+1 - Love Lymo seawater baths!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm not a SUP-er myself although I've had a go, it's just a bit difficult as I need a couple of new hips! But my younger daughter has been involved for 6 years, when it was a quite a new sport in Britain, and she now actually works for Red Paddle - I thought I'd better declare an interest before saying that of all the inflatable boards, Red are the most rigid as long as they are inflated to the correct pressure.

SUPs are pretty versatile - if you're deadly serious you may want different boards for different usages, but if you just want to enjoy it you can buy an all-round board that can be used for flat water paddling, surfing, long distance paddles, and racing.

I'm not a SUP-er myself although I've had a go, it's just a bit difficult as I need a couple of new hips! But my younger daughter has been involved for 6 years, when it was a quite a new sport in Britain, and she now actually works for Red Paddle - I thought I'd better declare an interest before saying that of all the inflatable boards, Red are the most rigid as long as they are inflated to the correct pressure.

SUPs are pretty versatile - if you're deadly serious you may want different boards for different usages, but if you just want to enjoy it you can buy an all-round board that can be used for flat water paddling, surfing, long distance paddles, and racing.
Club discount?

@owen_h
Andy says Hi!
Sorry he was too busy to chat today.
Apparently you were in the shop half hour or so before me today.

We cycled from St Cado where we were staying to Gavres and did a loop of that site to check it out. Looked good and a great location. You can get a ferry (foot & bike only) across to Port Louis.
We did all our paddling from the (small) beach in St Cado. Had intended to also try the Gulf de Morhiban but not enough time.
The roads were quiet for cycling and drivers much more considerate, the only close pass was from a GB motorhome. Explored a lot of the little lanes, some of which were a bit more gravel than the Garmin indicated!
Quiberon peninsular was good, there is a cycle lane along a lot of it and then follow the less used roads on the western side. Also visited (on the bikes) the stones at Carnac and had Moules fritts in Trinite-sur-mer.
The U boat base (La Base) in Lorient was interesting and worth a visit.It also has an offshore sailing side to it that you can visit. That (the sailing side) seemed aimed at a younger audience so we did a 'tour of the yachts'. This wasn't as good as I hoped as in French (we had been warned) and really wasnt much more than the guide taking us round the pontoons pointing at the various classes. I had hoped we would be allowed onto some of the Open 40s or even Vendee globe ones but non.
I will try and post some pics over the w/e

Many thanks Owen, that's great info. Was wondering if we were to go have to family-SUP to Port Louis, so great news about the ferry!

Bit of a shame about access to the boats, both kids & I are big followers of the Vendee, but we'll be going to the sub base to have a look at any of the big tri's and ongoing development happening around there.

@owen_h
Andy says Hi!
Sorry he was too busy to chat today.
Apparently you were in the shop half hour or so before me today.
Yes I had used needing to get some suncream from the shop as an excuse to have a cycle there. Was probably having an icecream at Stokes Bay while you were there.
All this talk of SUPs is making me wonder if I should add another toy to the collection :eek:

Many thanks Owen, that's great info. Was wondering if we were to go have to family-SUP to Port Louis, so great news about the ferry!

Bit of a shame about access to the boats, both kids & I are big followers of the Vendee, but we'll be going to the sub base to have a look at any of the big tri's and ongoing development happening around there.
Edmund de Rothchild tri was there when I went and they dont get much bigger than that. Very impressive looking yacht. There didn't seem to be any restrictions to just wandering onto most of the pontoons to see the yachts up close, that would give pretty much the same experience we paid for.

Yes I had used needing to get some suncream from the shop as an excuse to have a cycle there. Was probably having an icecream at Stokes Bay while you were there.
All this talk of SUPs is making me wonder if I should add another toy to the collection :eek:
Kind of freaky that !!!
because if I hadn't have stopped for an ice cream on the way, I may have been there half hour before...

Bet I know which Andy you chaps are talking about!!
I've an old waveboard with his name on it.

To SUP or not to SUP
Did you leave the pump at home? that is the question!!! :mute :rage
IMG_5221 copy.jpg

That the boy! Many a day spent at Stokes Bay, waiting for the wind. About 40 year ago!

More likely to have been Hillhead rather than Stokes bay waiting for enough wind to get onto the plane in my case. Think that was when the ‘need a van’ seed was sown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More likely to have been Hillhead rather than Stokes bay waiting for enough wind to get onto the plane in my case. Think that was when the ‘need a van’ seed was sown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep, the car park at Hill Head, "monkey hill" in my Splitty.

We Cali holiday in the south of France every year and noticed lots of inflatable paddle boards last year mostly hired from the local nautical centre.It was all new to us so I decided to but exactly the same model as hired out by the nautical centre.We have been here now 8 days and can now both stand up on it and paddle about on it despite the small waves.We are both really chuffed as we are in our 50s.
It's an inflateable sup
Zray 1
It comes in a rucksack complete with pump paddle and repair kit £300 from amazon
Really impressed with it
Dave and lisa

Tried SUP whilst on holiday last week. Barcelona region, hired one off the beach.

Blooming heck, it’s hard work!

My other half was a natural at it, never fell off once. But I wobbled and wobbled before falling off again! My best effort was 4 mins without falling off.

Sure trying to learn whilst being having waves didn’t help, but I was quite useless it has to be said! Wouldn’t mind another go, but in a lake next time. :)

Yes I agree a moderate amount of waves make standing pretty hard for a beginner.

Have really enjoyed SUP at Studland Bay and South Milton Sands over the last couple of weeks. Good quality boards available to hire at both locations (including tandems at Studland) and nice calm waters for beginners like me. Will be in the market to buy one next Spring ready for our month in the Lakes and Western Scotland.

Tried SUP whilst on holiday last week. Barcelona region, hired one off the beach.

Blooming heck, it’s hard work!

My other half was a natural at it, never fell off once. But I wobbled and wobbled before falling off again! My best effort was 4 mins without falling off.

Sure trying to learn whilst being having waves didn’t help, but I was quite useless it has to be said! Wouldn’t mind another go, but in a lake next time. :)

My partner took a while to get used to it. I read somewhere that the male brain needs around 30 hours on the board and longer if you are on the heavy side, whilst a female brain can commit the muscle memory and balance almost immediately. I don’t know how true it is though.

Age, weight and fitness levels all play a part as much as the board you are using. He actually tried a longer, thinner board with one fin whilst in Wales and was better on that than our beginner ones. Go figure!

Persevere with it, and practice on canals if you can. Apart from bring good beginner spots with no waves, they usually have pubs!

Back