Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Standard headlight performance.

I travel loads at night and early morning, perhaps its because I am getting older, but the standard lights were poor in my baby. Initially reluctant to criticise her. But combination of my eyes and dark mornings... had them swapped this week at Transporter HQ for a set of LED DRL's. OK its also slightly to do with I love the look of the OEM LED DRL's and just missed timing to add them to my order.

But its night and day. Im no technician and possibly guessing but think Borris has hit the nail on the head. The design of the internals seems to place the light better, projector type on my replacement ones. I may fiddle with the bulbs later as I am sure there is more improvement there. Or is it those bright LEDs improving the near to van lighting aided by the projector? Dissapointing that the likes of Transporter HQ can source/develop better kit than VW and at a fraction of the cost. Well fitted at £450..

Anyway, massive difference for me and deffinitely made me safer on a night and early morning also she looks better.... Very impressed.. Would also recommend Transporter HQ.

Last edited:
I can't remember there being the choice years ago. I might be wrong but if you purchased a transporter then you got headlights........and they were good. Now today, as far as I am aware, you have three choices:
1. Bog standard barely useable cooking jobs.
2. Higher powered blinged up ones usually sold as part of some bundle option.
3. Or the excellent Carlos Fandango LED space craft lights that cost both arms and a leg.
Now if I were a cynycal old bu#ger I might be thinking that option 1 is there for two reasons only. Firstly, VW has to stick something on their vans but secondly and much more importantly to encourage people to go for there uber expensive glitzy options that actually work like a modern headlight should do. Otherwise why would a company with huge R and D resources decide to take a step backwards and fit these extremely poor units?

Last edited:
I travel loads at night and early morning, perhaps its because I am getting older, but the standard lights were poor in my baby. Initially reluctant to criticise her.

But its night and day.
Interesting that....
I was worried reading posts here that the standard Ocean lights would not be up to the job.
I don't doubt for a second that you have made an improvememt but coming from an evoque with xenon lights I don't feel I have anything inferior to them. I thought the xenons were good when I first had them and I spent a while analysing their performance before picking up the Cali. So the fact that I'm good with the standard lights just shows how much is to do with circumstance. I travel a few dark tree lined lanes and I have both verges and a fair way ahead lit up like daylight.
None the less I'm with you on the look of LED's

Bought these and I think there awsome
Don’t know how good led lights are but these where £20 from stax there much whiter and seem loads brighter too

AC0C8B3F-A61A-44DB-AE7C-AFE0274CE624.jpeg

I can't remember there being the choice years ago. I might be wrong but if you purchased a transporter then you got headlights........and they were good. Now today, as far as I am aware, you have three choices:
1. Bog standard barely useable cooking jobs.
2. Higher powered blinged up ones usually sold as part of some bundle option.
3. Or the excellent Carlos Fandango LED space craft lights that cost both arms and a leg.
Now if I were a cynycal old bu#ger I might be thinking that option 1 is there for two reasons only. Firstly, VW has to stick something on their vans but secondly and much more importantly to encourage people to go for there uber expensive glitzy options that actually work like a modern headlight should do. Otherwise why would a company with huge R and D resources decide to take a step backwards and fit these extremely poor units?
I'm with you. Unfortunately the dealers don't seem to get this tactic. I still remember my dealer telling me the H4 lights were good!

Back