Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Starlink - Global internet

I’ve just got the Mini, and notice that there’s a (new?) roof rack mount available. Should fit a Thule WingBar, but doesn’t work with a round bar type.

My mini arrived yesterday and doesn’t work from my balcony facing a big north sky ( but with a balcony floor above), so it needs a fairly open space. Didn’t want to dangle it out from under the upstairs balcony incase I dropped it! Will try from my van next week.

My mini arrived yesterday and doesn’t work from my balcony facing a big north sky ( but with a balcony floor above), so it needs a fairly open space. Didn’t want to dangle it out from under the upstairs balcony incase I dropped it! Will try from my van next week.
Try it at a south facing window. The north that they mention is relative to the equator. If you are far up north such as scotland, you may have to point the dish towards the south, which technically, relative to the equator is the north.

Try different options as they are relatively good at picking up satellites.

Below is a map of the current set of starlink statellites relative to the UK

1724942706963.png
So yeah, point it south if you are in the UK and see if that works.

a closer view for the UK, so north west/south west will be a good option.

1724942845935.png

Just to clarify… Do people generally just set at up the kit on the roof/rack when stationary and using the internet or does anyone actually have it permanently installed on their van?

Just to clarify… Do people generally just set at up the kit on the roof/rack when stationary and using the internet or does anyone actually have it permanently installed on their van?

Technically the roam plan does not allow in motion use (but some do it). To use motion roam you need to subscribe to mobile priority.

That said on my van I only mount the dish when parked up as I have a 5G router that works most of the time unless in remote locations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Technically the roam plan does not allow in motion use (but some do it). To use motion roam you need to subscribe to mobile priority.

That said on my van I only mount the dish when parked up as I have a 5G router that works most of the time unless in remote locations.

Me too

I’m seriously considering upgrading my router to a Peplink BR1 Max Pro 5G. Native Starlink support (they worked with Space X to implement) and with fusion connect it will balance both 5G and Starlink to ensure smooth connectivity when video calling etc. but the router is pricey.

I’m seriously considering upgrading my router to a Peplink BR1 Max Pro 5G. Native Starlink support (they worked with Space X to implement) and with fusion connect it will balance both 5G and Starlink to ensure smooth connectivity when video calling etc. but the router is pricey.

Interesting.....does that give PoE direct to the dishy?
I'm running a Teltonika RUTX50 (5G SIM x 2) with a Yaoshang 3in1 Starlink PoE injector which seems ok so far.

I'm running a Teltonika RUTX50 (5G SIM x 2) with a Yaoshang 3in1 Starlink PoE injector which seems ok so far.

No, requires Ethernet to the WAN port. But I also have the Yaoshang already.

Yeah, not cheap like you said. Can't see me changing what I have in the Cali but could be useful for some of my clients.

Try it at a south facing window. The north that they mention is relative to the equator. If you are far up north such as scotland, you may have to point the dish towards the south, which technically, relative to the equator is the north.

Try different options as they are relatively good at picking up satellites.
IMG_5689.jpegI’m in London so this is my North. I managed to connect just outside the block of flats with sky above. More enclosed at back of my flat -but I didn’t buy it to use it in London anyway!

In the UK the £50 per month 50gb plan allows you to use it in motion over 10mph. The £85 unlimited plan does not! I guess they assume that if you had the in motion ability on the unlimited plan people would just leave it connected all the time and eat a ton of data and make their top mobile plan redundant?

My Mini arrived today and I’m waiting on the magnetic mounts from Tactic Vans and I’ll try it in motion and see how it goes. In reality I don’t see that being a typical use case for me but useful to know that it is an option!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Mine arrived today. I’ve rigged up a way of mounting it to my roof rack using some ram mounts that I had from my old Landrover. Tactic Vans do a magnet mount kit which I have on order. This would offer a semi permanent roof mount option ie it won’t move but could be stolen by an opportunist thief!

Edit, the Cali roof is aluminium I believe in which case the magnet mounts won’t work directly on the roof

In the UK the £50 per month 50gb plan allows you to use it in motion over 10mph. The £85 unlimited plan does not! I guess they assume that if you had that ability on the unlimited people would just leave it connected all the time and eat tons of bandwidth?

My Mini arrived today and I’m waiting on the magnetic mounts from Tactic Vans and I’ll try it in motion and see how it goes. In reality I don’t see that being a typical use case for me but useful to know that it is an option!

I get that the mini is the new thing. But I still much prefer my standard actuated (motors) with the Yaoshang kit to use my router. Today I was parked near trees and over some time the fish adjusted itself for the best signal even though there were obstructions. That, and with the standard and roam there is no limit for 50Chf here which is about 44 pounds a month.

I get that the mini is the new thing. But I still much prefer my standard actuated (motors) with the Yaoshang kit to use my router. Today I was parked near trees and over some time the fish adjusted itself for the best signal even though there were obstructions. That, and with the standard and roam there is no limit for 50Chf here which is about 44 pounds a month.

I think the mini is great for casual users like myself, I don’t have the room or electrical set up to run the standard version. However if I were working in the van 4-5 days a week like you are I totally agree the standard version makes more sense.

I think the mini is great for casual users like myself, I don’t have the room or electrical set up to run the standard version. However if I were working in the van 4-5 days a week like you are I totally agree the standard version makes more sense.

It’s using 30-50 watts over 12v. The mini uses roughly the same power.

How have you done the 12v conversion? I assumed you were running it from your Ecoflow?

The Yaosheng kit converts the dishy cable to Ethernet and supplies PoE. There is also a 12-48v DC step up converter that is tiny and mounted hidden away.

Back