Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Starlink - Global internet

Can I ask if you are using a USB cable to power it and if so which one you purchased?

I’m probably going to pick one up, I resent giving Musk any of my hard earned but the Mini is a compelling proposition! I have a small Ecoflow that I could run it from but USB is more practical for me and it seems to be pretty power efficient from the reviews I’ve seen.
No, currently using the standard connector and running off the cali 240 outlet. May fry the adapter, but we shall see.

The mini itself is mounted on the rear rack and happy with that. The long cable supplied with it helps.

Sending this message over the mini roam plan sat near Juno beach, Normandy.
68d6dc262060f9a46f66b3f2c3a7665f.jpg
e6c14a73c181f320872fe9cb4a9e8f40.jpg
ed0de313fb9f1ed2d2be8fb50aa26ccc.jpg
6ef3eda3f72d6f1d50cce966cc54311c.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 9 Pro XL using Tapatalk

No, currently using the standard connector and running off the cali 240 outlet. May fry the adapter, but we shall see.

The mini itself is mounted on the rear rack and happy with that. The long cable supplied with it helps.

Sending this message over the mini roam plan sat near Juno beach, Normandy.
68d6dc262060f9a46f66b3f2c3a7665f.jpg
e6c14a73c181f320872fe9cb4a9e8f40.jpg
ed0de313fb9f1ed2d2be8fb50aa26ccc.jpg
6ef3eda3f72d6f1d50cce966cc54311c.jpg

Thinking about I think I read that it doesn’t draw more than 5 amps /40w so could run off the built in inverter. Even my T6 will handle 150w a

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Musk is not a good person. I'll pass!
Why isn't he. Have you had a beer with him? Do you know him? I could say the same about you having never met you!I suspect your a left wing bed wetter who loves fluffy immigrants with knives . We can all make assumptions. I suspect mine is right

Last edited:
Why isn't he. Have you had a beer with him? Do you know him? I could say the same about you having never met you!I suspect your a left wing bed wetter who loves fluffy immigrants with knives . We can all make assumptions. I suspect mine is right
To be fair, the way he treated people at Twitter and the way he responds to interview questions is a telltale sign. Perhaps he's fine with a beer - but I wouldn't judge someones personality based on a beer conversation, but the actions they take in their day to day lives.

To be fair, the way he treated people at Twitter and the way he responds to interview questions is a telltale sign. Perhaps he's fine with a beer - but I wouldn't judge someones personality based on a beer conversation, but the actions they take in their day to day lives.

Calling one of the Thai cavers that was involved in the rescue of the 12 trapped children “pedo guy” wasn’t very nice either. Nor was spreading lies about rioters being sent to the Falklands or that revolution was imminent in England. He has retweeted anti-Semitic tropes and seems to endorse some of the wilder conspiracies out there such as the ‘great replacement theory’. He’s doing his best to help make some pretty wild and dangerous theories and their proponents mainstream with his huge platform on X. Of course the conspiracists see nothing wrong in that but it does helps to perpetuate yet more division in society which you could argue isn’t very nice either.

Cynically you might wonder if his switching political allegiance to the Donald might be linked to Trump pledging to slap huge import tariffs on EV’s if he wins a second term, because sometimes having a net worth of $240bn just isn’t enough.

I think on balance I’d pass on having a beer with him… I might still buy a Starlink Mini though

Last edited:
You are as predictable as you are angry. Always the first to resort to insults and name calling. You would have a great time with Elon in the pub! Make sure he’s buying though, he can afford it.

Me and Elon would have a great time in the pub becuase we aren't a couple of bed wetters who start crying about lines they don't like. So yes your right

Me and Elon would have a great time in the pub becuase we aren't a couple of bed wetters who start crying about lines they don't like. So yes your right
Don’t have too many beers,. wouldn’t want you to p*ss the bed. I think you can get plastic covers for the comfort mattress though so fill yer boots.

Getting back on topic though - I really do want a Starlink.

My current (long term) plan is a Starlink attached to my (soon to be installed) bike rack on the Grand Cali, with a second EcoFlow batt, alternator kit and offroad wheels. Think that'll do me.... for now :D

But I get so fed up with the poor signal on campsites, and then them asking for £5 etc for just as crappy wifi.

My current (long term) plan is a Starlink attached to my (soon to be installed) bike rack on the Grand Cali, with a second EcoFlow batt, alternator kit and offroad wheels. Think that'll do me.... for now :D

But I get so fed up with the poor signal on campsites, and then them asking for £5 etc for just as crappy wifi.
Yep, I’m going to swallow my principles and pull the trigger too!

Thinking about I think I read that it doesn’t draw more than 5 amps /40w so could run off the built in inverter. Even my T6 will handle 150w a

Correct, just that the inverter on the t6 does not produce a clean sine and that in the past has fried many an equipment :) this one has so far survived well and I think it will be fine. If it gets fried it is usually in the first hour of operation.

Come on banana man you haven’t called me woke yet, I’m very disappointed. So much so I might sob into my rainbow handkerchief

Your new moniker. Wokeslammer

You’re no Swamper. You don’t stalk deer, you frolic about and tickle them into submission.

Drives me bonkers. We’re on a premium campsite this weekend. Everything is perfect except a lack of connectivity.

To save me DMOR, what are the monthly/upfront costs? And how much power do they draw from my precious £750 kettle power bank?

Correct, just that the inverter on the t6 does not produce a clean sine and that in the past has fried many an equipment :) this one has so far survived well and I think it will be fine. If it gets fried it is usually in the first hour of operation.

Is this any better on the T6.1? Forgive my ignorance.

Drives me bonkers. We’re on a premium campsite this weekend. Everything is perfect except a lack of connectivity.

To save me DMOR, what are the monthly/upfront costs? And how much power do they draw from my precious £750 kettle power bank?
The mini is £399 plus shipping which is another £20.
Then monthly costs are either £50 per month (roam plan) for 50GB of data or £85 per month unlimited. Additional data used on the 50GB plan is charged at £1 per GB. You can opt out of having this excess charge and just limit to 50GB if you wish.
Either plan can be paused at anytime and restarted again when you wish.
Power usage on average is between 25-40w.

Then monthly costs are either £50 per month (roam plan) for 50GB of data or £85 per month unlimited. Additional data used on the 50GB plan is charged at £1 per GB. You can opt out of having this excess charge and just limit to 50GB if you wish.
Testing mine on the bike rack of the GC
IMG_1004.jpeg

Can you use the 50gb plan on the continent? Thanks

Exactly where we plan to put ours eventually.
I tried this also with a temporary pole extension, improved speed slightly but not enough to make it worth while.
IMG_1007.jpegThen I tried it inserted between the roof lining Just in front of the living area skylight but it couldn’t connect to the satellite, guess the roof composite layers are too much of a barrier.
Worked ok in the skylight but the angle is important more than the orientation dead flat doesn’t work so well it’ also got hot in the skylight when the sun was out IMG_0999.jpeg

The 50GB limit for the Mini is a real shame. With my Standard Actuated dishy I have Roam for 50 CHF a month with no limits. And can pause at any time as well.

You can go for the unlimited plan but that costs £85 per month in the uk.

You can go for the unlimited plan but that costs £85 per month in the uk.

I just had a look at my usage. Biggest was during my travels in May to June. 124GB. The other benefit of the actuated is I simply put it on the mount and it aligns itself perfectly with motors for best performance.
39db8d1642f7e26b6062c54279d922bd.png

Informative video by Fan4Van about the lack of usb C power cables in the current Starlink Mini package.
He made his own usb C cable.:

Regards from Amsterdam,

Marc.

Back