Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Starlink - Global internet

The US customers not happy, heard it’s doubling in price.
I paid £48 for 2.5 weeks.
Think it’s a good price for what it is.

Sorry, missed this Q.
I’ve got the solar and two 6 cables from the pucks going into the gland at the rear.
No leaks as they go in a slit and it all works as it should.
I pop the Starlink cable through the window as wasn’t sure if I needed a permanent solution.
No mini dish from Elon yet.
Just a wider footprint, and with increased power needs.
So Dishy2 works perfectly good.
Thanks for the info. I want to avoid touching that gland further as I'm worried about issues further down the line (I intend to keep this van a fair while). For now the internal Netgear antenna is working well, even in that "dead spot" I'm now getting 10mbit.

His munskness has announced the mini antenna now.

Will, I don't suppose you have a link for/or spec on the bolts you used to mount the pivot mount to the rails?
Remind me tomorrow when I’m home and I can take a pic of the bolts for you :thumb

Picked up a starlink mini on the roam plan and travelling to Normandy today. First time use with roaming. Testing at home and all was good even with zoom/teams calls and other activities.

Current mounting on the rear cycle rack with an amazon purchased mount. I would prefer the rail mount on this thread. Will explore options after return.

Sent from my Pixel 9 Pro XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Picked up a starling mini on the roam plan and travelling to Normandy today. First time use with roaming. Testing at home and all was good even with zoom/teams calls and other activities.

Current mounting on the rear cycle rack with an amazon purchased mount. I would prefer the rail mount on this thread. Will explore options after return.

What mount have you used on the bike rack?

Thanks Will - do you take the bracket off each time? If not, do you get much wind noise?
I left the mount on, and removed starlink when I drove. No windnoise, only a little noise from the 3 solar panels I had on at 80mph

Maybe it’s just me, but I just noticed there is a “power draw” chart at the bottom now. Never noticed that before. Must be new? Nonetheless useful!

2db72c913c71b7a55dadad4c4fb70d9c.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Picked up a starlink mini on the roam plan and travelling to Normandy today. First time use with roaming. Testing at home and all was good even with zoom/teams calls and other activities.

Can I ask if you are using a USB cable to power it and if so which one you purchased?

I’m probably going to pick one up, I resent giving Musk any of my hard earned but the Mini is a compelling proposition! I have a small Ecoflow that I could run it from but USB is more practical for me and it seems to be pretty power efficient from the reviews I’ve seen.

You need to go short on the USB cable from MUCH chatter about it; sorry I don't know the specs. I had a friend knock up a 3m thick guage cable and will be trying it direct to cigarette lighter - his calculations say it will work, otherwise a confirmed working USBC cable which works with PD chargers/batteries is the backup, but I would prefer to use onboard batteries

Can I ask if you are using a USB cable to power it and if so which one you purchased?

I’m probably going to pick one up, I resent giving Musk any of my hard earned but the Mini is a compelling proposition! I have a small Ecoflow that I could run it from but USB is more practical for me and it seems to be pretty power efficient from the reviews I’ve seen.
Your best bet for supplying the mini with the correct voltage (using leisure batteries) is to use a step up converter such as a 12v to 24v. Plenty on Amazon for around £20.
Using a USB-C PD connector seems to yield mixed results. The starlink mini specs say it requires 100W 20V/5a from a USB-C.
As identified the issue is down to the narrow gauge cable supplied which is also quite long at 15’ and suffers from voltage drop over that length when using 12v.

Starlink are supposedly bringing out a USB-C PD to 5521 barrel connector, just not yet available.

I’ve just ordered a Starlink mini and am now worried that it won’t work off the 12v !

Your best bet for supplying the mini with the correct voltage (using leisure batteries) is to use a step up converter such as a 12v to 24v. Plenty on Amazon for around £20.
Using a USB-C PD connector seems to yield mixed results. The starlink mini specs say it requires 100W 20V/5a from a USB-C.
As identified the issue is down to the narrow gauge cable supplied which is also quite long at 15’ and suffers from voltage drop over that length when using 12v.

Starlink are supposedly bringing out a USB-C PD to 5521 barrel connector, just not yet available.

Thanks. Amazon are already selling USB C to barrel connector cables in various lengths (the 5m would probably suffice) but no reviews as to the quality or effectiveness.

Last edited:
Thanks. Amazon are already selling UDB C to barrel connector cables in various lengths (the 5m would probably suffice) but no reviews as to the quality or effectiveness.

Do these cable have the ip rated barrel connector for going into the dish?

It says waterproof but doesn’t give an IP rating and there are no reviews so it would be a gamble until Tesla come out with an approved one…

Worth a punt. If you’ve got the dishy reasonably flat not sure how much water ingress you’d get underneath anyway.

Back