Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Starlink - Global internet

Got a GL.iNet M2 5G development board arriving this week.
So will a back up of 5G whilst driving…
And will mount in a dev plastic case.
I'd suggest you have a look at either of these units. I use Starlink as a backup when 5G isn't available or as fast as I'd like. These units are low power and with loads of configuration options!

I already had a customised unit for my 5G needs with an antenna mounted on the roof. This unit is 4X4 MIMO and offers the fastest possible 5G connections and only uses 24 watts MAX while averaging only 4-10 watts:

I'd suggest you have a look at either of these units. I use Starlink as a backup when 5G isn't available or as fast as I'd like. These units are low power and with loads of configuration options!

I already had a customised unit for my 5G needs with an antenna mounted on the roof. This unit is 4X4 MIMO and offers the fastest possible 5G connections and only uses 24 watts MAX while averaging only 4-10 watts:

Unable to edit, but actually mine is 6X6 MIMO

Unable to edit, but actually mine is 6X6 MIMO

Quick 5G test this morning
15baaf10fd070979fa292f6de966c3af.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driving me bonkers with how to try and configure the APN for EE with the M2 5G module.

What 5G sim do you use ?
@Webbah_in_Switzerland
GL.iNet tech support said I need a sim that’s Linux compatible….
And EE is not.
I’m guessing you’re using Three ?

I’d go nuts with all those devices and cables!

;)
Yep, there’s the two sorts of engineering people!
Once it’s all beta tested in the field, it will be going into the rear cupboard all tidy.
I’ve asked GL.iNet if I can use a single external aerial. Can install next to my solar and loop the cable inside the bendy cable.
I’ll have to check on interference with the power of solar cable. But it’s double insulated so should be okay.
If I get good results, then £250 on the router and 5G will be a good result.
Trust me, loose wires and things everywhere drive me insane.
I can’t even find a proper box for my frosted wheats !! So I can store away neatly !

;)
Yep, there’s the two sorts of engineering people!
Once it’s all beta tested in the field, it will be going into the rear cupboard all tidy.
I’ve asked GL.iNet if I can use a single external aerial. Can install next to my solar and loop the cable inside the bendy cable.
I’ll have to check on interference with the power of solar cable. But it’s double insulated so should be okay.
If I get good results, then £250 on the router and 5G will be a good result.
Trust me, loose wires and things everywhere drive me insane.
I can’t even find a proper box for my frosted wheats !! So I can store away neatly !

I’d seriously consider contacting these guys. I know the site is in German but they speak English. They are the best of the best for this. Having a single router that can do dual WAN for 5G and Starlink is awesome. And they make custom antennas to maximize signal. They even have some that are super thin and can be fixed on a window if you prefer or others on the roof. Getting signal through the metal panels of the van will always have losses.

I’d seriously consider contacting these guys. I know the site is in German but they speak English. They are the best of the best for this. Having a single router that can do dual WAN for 5G and Starlink is awesome. And they make custom antennas to maximize signal. They even have some that are super thin and can be fixed on a window if you prefer or others on the roof. Getting signal through the metal panels of the van will always have losses.

You are sending me down the rabbit hole !
I’m a tech geek, and love the best of the best ;)
I shall enquire with them ….

Me too man. I’m a Cloud Sokution Architect for work.

I emailed those guys but no reply as of yet.
Maybe they are on holiday for 6 weeks like the rest of Europeans ;)
While us Brits work work work :D

Spoke with EE Tech support today, awesome tech, said he can now see my GL.iNet M2 modem, he said the modem & router is a very high tech piece of kit from the log files. Says it’s compatible with the 6 and 6E wifi band.
He’s done something his end.
As now I’m connected all day to 5G
From inside the California getting 200mb down and 20 upload.
So once I get an external aerial then should be getting nearer 300mb down.

Any suggestions on what’s the best external flat antenna ?
And as I have 4 SMA connectors, do I need 4 aerials or just one, but 4 wires, from the one antenna ?

Ordered a Poynting’s Puck7
Looks a nice bit of kit

How’s best to attach 12v items.
USB C router.
12 v cigarette connector modem. (I can remove the two wires and wire into something.
2x dashcams usb A ? The normal usb.
12/48v starlink POE box. Uses cigarette lighter plug. (I can remove and use something else…)

I want to remove the 12v cigarette style plugs and have a better solution.
But I think the 12 to 48v starlink needs 50watts?

What’s the best power supply option ?
Something where plugs don’t fall out driving…

How’s best to attach 12v items.
USB C router.
12 v cigarette connector modem. (I can remove the two wires and wire into something.
2x dashcams usb A ? The normal usb.
12/48v starlink POE box. Uses cigarette lighter plug. (I can remove and use something else…)

I want to remove the 12v cigarette style plugs and have a better solution.
But I think the 12 to 48v starlink needs 50watts?

What’s the best power supply option ?
Something where plugs don’t fall out driving…

Hi, I had my mechanic do all my electrical install. Most is connected directly to the leisure batteries directly with inline fuses. For my dash cam I ran this directly to the fuse box on the driver side (LHD in my case) and installed a fuse tap. Just need a multimeter to find an open slot with constant power.

Hi, I had my mechanic do all my electrical install. Most is connected directly to the leisure batteries directly with inline fuses. For my dash cam I ran this directly to the fuse box on the driver side (LHD in my case) and installed a fuse tap. Just need a multimeter to find an open slot with constant power.

Aha, thanks. I need to find a good solution, as the 12v ciggie thing is a bit pants.

Last edited:
IMG_8265.jpeg
RPi 2GB, with the Victron Venus on a 4gb sandisk. Setup on the wifi in the California.
How easy is that !
Just need some Victron Gear to look at now…

@Webbah_in_Switzerland with regards the EHU and Starlink cable insertion hack….
Can I undo the 4 bolts and get into the EHU from outside.
Or is it the case I have to take out my shelves and get in from the inside of the plastic bit under the sliding spice rack ting ?

@Webbah_in_Switzerland with regards the EHU and Starlink cable insertion hack….
Can I undo the 4 bolts and get into the EHU from outside.
Or is it the case I have to take out my shelves and get in from the inside of the plastic bit under the sliding spice rack ting ?

I removed it from the outside. It’s easy. Then cut the notch in the middle top rear and added some window rubber trim for protection. I then duck taped the cable to a stiffer wire thingy and fished it through.

Back