Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Starting problems

Possible earth strap / bonding issue ?

the T5 was subject to an earth strap upgrade to the starter battery, (resolve starting issues I believe).
Got to be worth investigating on your van, it’s a easy to do and a cheap fix (if the earth strap / earth points don’t look great)

I do some digging and post some info if I can find it

Possible earth strap / bonding issue ?

the T5 was subject to an earth strap upgrade to the starter battery, (resolve starting issues I believe).
Got to be worth investigating on your van, it’s a easy to do and a cheap fix (if the earth strap / earth points don’t look great)

I do some digging and post some info if I can find it
Great thanks

Great thanks
next cheapest potential thing ; starter motor / solenoid check for an audible click from the solenoid?

Does the starter motor get hot, particularly when it won’t turn over ?

Put your headlights on and then try to start the car, if your lights flicker then battery isn't fully charged or can't hold a charge so need to be changed. Any Motor Shop can easily check your battery under load. Also check the battery and engine earth straps are clean and tight

Put your headlights on and then try to start the car, if your lights flicker then battery isn't fully charged or can't hold a charge so need to be changed. Any Motor Shop can easily check your battery under load. Also check the battery and engine earth straps are clean and tight
With the lights on trying to start the lights go completely out??

next cheapest potential thing ; starter motor / solenoid check for an audible click from the solenoid?

Does the starter motor get hot, particularly when it won’t turn over ?
Ok so battery has a spyglass and it’s showing according to diagram ok condition. However there is an audible click when trying to start??

Have you checked the age of the starting battery?
The voltage values you gave previously just indicate that the battery was at about 80% charge and the Alternator is working/charging.
However it doesn't show that the battery is capable of providing the amps to heat the glowplugs and power the starter. A failing battery will charge but fails to deliver when required.

Ok so battery has a spyglass and it’s showing according to diagram ok condition. However there is an audible click when trying to start??

Sorry, I don't know what you mean by a " spyglass" .A failing battery can charge to 12.7 v but still fail to hold a charge over a period of time or fail to be able to provide the required current to heat the glowplugs or turn the starter.
How old is the battery? Is it an AGM battery?

Sorry, I don't know what you mean by a " spyglass" .A failing battery can charge to 12.7 v but still fail to hold a charge over a period of time or fail to be able to provide the required current to heat the glowplugs or turn the starter.
How old is the battery? Is it an AGM battery?
No I don’t think it’s agm it’s 2020-2021. If it were agm would that make a difference? Thanks

No I don’t think it’s agm it’s 2020-2021. If it were agm would that make a difference? Thanks
Scotclimb

are you able to post a picture of the top of your battery showing the make and model Amp hours etc.

the fact your light went out means the battery is either Kaput or an incorrect spec battery for the vehicle

if you can post a photo the forum will be able to assist in determining if it’s correct or not.

edit : Spyglass - I assume there is a visual indicator on the top of the battery to determine if the battery is healthy or not ?

Scotclimb

are you able to post a picture of the top of your battery showing the make and model Amp hours etc.

the fact your light went out means the battery is either Kaput or an incorrect spec battery for the vehicle

if you can post a photo the forum will be able to assist in determining if it’s correct or not.

edit : Spyglass - I assume there is a visual indicator on the top of the battery to determine if the battery is healthy or not ?
Yeh that’s what I meant by spyglass. I’m thinking yourself and welshgas may be right in battery. We’ve been out for a long run and it started first time after two stops. So I’m assuming it’s charging it and giving me more output fir starting. I’ll post a picture of battery soon? Thanks

Fully charge your main battery with a smart battery charger like CTEK etc for 24 hours. If it then starts the ignition switch, starter motor and solenoid are fine. Drive to Halfords or similar and ask them to check your battery under load then buy a new one if required.

Scotclimb

Fully charge your main battery with a smart battery charger like CTEK etc for 24 hours. If it then starts the ignition switch, starter motor and solenoid are fine. Drive to Halfords or similar and ask them to check your battery under load then buy a new one if required.
Ok thanks which battery should be installed in my van?? Thanks

519E5BCF-7CF5-40A9-B998-940C1CF5E62D.jpeg

6D77D868-E5F5-45F6-8166-CFED1D6A19E4.jpeg

D49A3BFE-7528-40E3-8B4B-9EC2F23F26B5.jpeg

That looks fine, just enter your reg on the Rayna battery website and look at the spec, as long as your is equivalent or higher rated it should be fine.

That looks fine, just enter your reg on the Rayna battery website and look at the spec, as long as your is equivalent or higher rated it should be fine.
Thanks according to tayna recommendations my battery is adequate. I think I’ll have a look at tge ignition switch for signs of wear/melting. I believe they are prone to burn out. I called my local vw parts suppliers and they told me they hardly ever sell starter motors and suspect it might be the switch as they sell a lot of those. Thanks again

Playing about with it tonight to try and get my head round tge starting problem. It seems if I turn the key and allow the glow plug lamp to go out this is when it fails. If I just turn the key straight off. It started three times in a row. Not sure if it would do this first thing in the morning though?? Any ideas???

Playing about with it tonight to try and get my head round tge starting problem. It seems if I turn the key and allow the glow plug lamp to go out this is when it fails. If I just turn the key straight off. It started three times in a row. Not sure if it would do this first thing in the morning though?? Any ideas???
Take a look at this ...

That would make sense if the battery is struggling - heating up the glow plugs would suck the juice out of the battery, not leaving enough to turn the engine over quick enough to start it.

Take a look at this ...
Thanks I gave that a try but nothing. Definitely works if I go straight round and don’t pause for lights to go out. Hoping it’s ignition switch as that’s an easy fix??

If you have another car you could always try switching the batteries over to test. If the Cali is your only vehicle you could swap one of the leisure batteries with with main battery just as a test but don't crank it too many times as leisure batteries are not designed as starter batteries.

Thanks I gave that a try but nothing. Definitely works if I go straight round and don’t pause for lights to go out. Hoping it’s ignition switch as that’s an easy fix??

That would make sense if the battery is struggling - heating up the glow plugs would suck the juice out of the battery, not leaving enough to turn the engine over quick enough to start it

If you have another car you could always try switching the batteries over to test. If the Cali is your only vehicle you could swap one of the leisure batteries with with main battery just as a test but don't crank it too many times as leisure batteries are not designed as starter batteries.
I do have another car but if what your saying is the case, why would it fail sometimes as much as 5 attempts then it starts. If there’s no juice to start it on tge first attempt I thought it would deplete tge more times I try? Thanks for your help/advice

I do have another car but if what your saying is the case, why would it fail sometimes as much as 5 attempts then it starts. If there’s no juice to start it on tge first attempt I thought it would deplete tge more times I try? Thanks for your help/advice
Agree, try the ignition switch replacement as in my previous video only £16 ...

Back