Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Step will not work

P

Paddy GC680

Vehicle
Grand California 680
My step has stopped working. Turned off electric, but step stays in. Any ideas?

Stand outside and have someone operate the step. You will hear if it’s trying to work and is mechanically jammed or hear nothing if it’s an electrical control issue. I’ve knocked my step previously and the step chassis has had a slight twist stopping it from sliding out. I sorted the twist and all worked again.

My step has stopped working. Turned off electric, but step stays in. Any ideas?
Had mine replaced due to same issue apparently a faulty batch from Thule. Also check the button on the dash. Mine would only close with a nudge.

Looks like my will need replacing. Bonkers. Brand new van.

Wondering if anyone has tried dismantling the step to see if it can be fixed. Mine has stopped working. Not a big issue just a good leg stretch getting in and out. Still pretty poor that it’s broken so soon. Really can’t be bothered going to the dealer for them to confirm it’s buggered to then order one and wait for it and then take it in again so was considering taking it apart to see if I could get it working. However I assume this would then invalidate warranty.
Also need fridge fixed as it’s full on frosty or nothing. Then it down but as the door closes it goes back to max. Great for booze not so good for food.
Van is otherwise great and new mattress coming but some of these minor issues really seem like they should have been ironed out pre mass production.

Exactly the same problems I have. Must be an easy fix for the step. Wish fridge temperature could be adjusted to stopping freezing the food. Everything else seems to be ok since it was delivered in July 2021.

Exactly the same problems I have. Must be an easy fix for the step. Wish fridge temperature could be adjusted to stopping freezing the food. Everything else seems to be ok since it was delivered in July 2021.
This may not be your problem but initially we over stocked the the fridge ie no circulation, temp set to 2 and now all ok also night mode works well.

Sure I pressed bottons so only two were on. Then automatically went to five light buttons on when I opened fridge again. So basically you just set the temperature lower by reducing light buttons on. So they should stay the same. Then night mode to reduce electric used and less noise. Will try.

I’ll be removing mine, never use it, just adds weight and reduces ground clearance.

Hopefully the dash won’t light up like a Christmas tree after removal.

I’ll be removing mine, never use it, just adds weight and reduces ground clearance.

Hopefully the dash won’t light up like a Christmas tree after removal.
Sadly our step is not working either. Checked the manuals but no joy there … disappointing in a new van with little use due to winter away with family …. Any suggestions welcome please ??

Sadly our step is not working either. Checked the manuals but no joy there … disappointing in a new van with little use due to winter away with family …. Any suggestions welcome please ??
If the step isn’t working you could try and reset. Turn off the main red isolation switch in the electrical cupboard, then locate the ‘magic’ blue connector located on the left hand side under the dashboard. Look up from the footwell. Unplug this and wait a minute. Plug back in, turn on red isolation switch and see if the steps working.
Blue plug shown below:

IMG_0205.jpeg

Ours had a loose connection at the back of the step.

We've had issues with our step since day one. The reset has worked every time so far, probably had to do it 10-12 times. Getting really tedious. I would put my money on a software malfunction. So many people with same issue surely there should be a recall. Its very disappointing on what is suposed to be a fairly high end product.

Hi we had no problem with our step for 2 years then it just stopped working.
It’s just been replaced under warranty. Apparently it’s a different part number and software update.
If you can demonstrate the fault with a dealer they should replace it.

We've had issues with our step since day one. The reset has worked every time so far, probably had to do it 10-12 times. Getting really tedious. I would put my money on a software malfunction. So many people with same issue surely there should be a recall. Its very disappointing on what is suposed to be a fairly high end product.
Like The Yorkshireman, I had issues from handover ie April 2021 fortunately i pointed this out at the time and one was ordered, however it took 3 months to arrive so had to nudge it into place at the same time as shutting the door you soon get the knack. The new one arrived and was fitted and I have not had a problem since.
So as Yorky says take it to your dealer its a known fault so you should have no problem.
No offence meant TYM :)

Got mine replaced by VW for a late 2020 GC, apparently there were issues with a few early ones from Thule. No problems at all with the new one.

Interesting chat around dates. Have we identified a date from which point the step problem is resolved (or at least less likely). My van is a MY22 registered April’22 with a Nov’21 build. No step issues (to date !!

Mine's a Nov '22 680 and still had the problem. Have reset it four or five times so no big deal. My local dealer applied a software update this week so perhaps that will solve it.

Our step has also blocked 1 time
After checking with the VW technician, these were small stones that blocked the step
After disassembly, cleaning and a good lubrication (Grease), everything is OK now !

Back