Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

STOP, in France

briwy

briwy

Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
I've known for years that you have to properly stop at a stop sign in France but it appears that the law is that you stop for at least three seconds. The penalty for not doing so is 90 Euros if caught by the gendarmes.

Never heard that, always just stopped. Lots of evidence lately though that drivers are being targeted more and more in France.

This has been the the case for some time now where I regularly spend time in Provence. The local gendarmes have a few favourite junctions where they hide in a layby; watch to see if your wheels stop turning, and then pull you over if they don't. They even have card machines to take immediate payment.

I've known for years that you have to properly stop at a stop sign in France but it appears that the law is that you stop for at least three seconds. The penalty for not doing so is 90 Euros if caught by the gendarmes.
Agree a friend of mine in Monflaquin was fined €90 for not coming to a complete stop, she was also fined €60 more recently for speeding 53kph in a 50kph and also had 2 points deducted from her licence.
So beware

On a motorbike in France at a stop sign I always take care to put a foot on the ground to demonstrate that I have stopped. Not heard about the 3 second 'rule' before, but I would hope that a reasonable pause while stationary in a car should still be ok.

Our Uncle in Texas (where they have been hot on this for years) says that they stop then move gently and stop a second time to prove they have looked..

Our Uncle in Texas (where they have been hot on this for years) says that they stop then move gently and stop a second time to prove they have looked..

I bet that makes them popular with following drivers!

Long ago there were lots of stories about gendarmes hiding around the corner on twisting mountain roads. If the tires of your caravan touched the white line you had to pay a crazy amount of money. I thought these times where past. We also been warned about gas stations who where adding larges sums in French Francs to the bill to earn some extra money. But apparently they still see some extra cash in tourists...