Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Stop start module

Dangerous? Well i've had it in my vehicles for 7 years, and i've not yet had any near death experiences as a result of it! Bizzare.
And yes, you are correct that it is for getting thru emmissions regs...cunningly by reducing emmissions...those sneaky car makers

Might be time for you to start another thread. This one was about someone trying to be helpful to others who may have been interested in what he'd done :thumb

Yesterday. Mine kicked in as i slowed for a righthand turn. I hadn't quite stopped and the blo0dy thing cuts the engine. just as that happened, i was flashed to make my turning. It was quite a few seconds before it reactivated and i actually moved again. All whilst i hadn't actually fully stopped moving.

Ive had another occasion at a busy roundabout, just as I'm about to press the accelerator its killed the engine causing a much bigger delay than intended and a very near miss.

Totally unacceptable and i would class it as dangerous...

This is another thread where I wish we’d all filled in our exact vehicle types, in this case, particularly transmission type.

I drive a DSG and the stop start is a pain in the neck. It’s currently at vw for a warranty job so I’ve been lent a 2018 T6 panel van.....manual gearbox....and the stop start is no bother at all.

So without knowing (for eg) what gearbox twodogs is driving, I’ve no ability weigh the usefulness of his replies.

My Cali is T5 DSG, my cars with it have been manual. Neither me or my wife have ever had an issue with it or think it dangerous.

Mine is T6 diesel DSG & it's no problem whatsoever - I sit at a junction, or pedestrian crossing & it cuts the engine, I lift off the brake pedal & it's restarted as my foot gets to the accelerator. I don't recognise @soulstyledevon experience "quite a few seconds" all whilst still rolling ...

I also don't accept that most people think it through enough to switch off at level-crossings & similar. Around the corner from me is a residential street close to the city centre where taxis sit parked chatting with engines idling right outside a Nursery playground.

200M from my house is a main road out of town - there are often 50+ vehicles constantly queuing up the hill weeknights to get through the lights between 4.30 & 6PM - I'd prefer they were each using Stop/Start thanks.

Perhaps some vehicles are set more sensitive than others? Mine is absolutely dangerous as it will cut out at the most inappropriate point with the slightest amount of brake pressure. It very nearly caused an accident when I was doing a hill start onto the busy A49 nearby and it just cut out as I was pulling into traffic. I think this system may work on a manual but they need to set a 2 second delay on the DSG.

As the OP this thread had only one intended purpose and that is to explain how to get and fit a stop start module to those that have asked. Lets face it there is always going to be two camps a bit like something else we know, at least either option is possible in this instance.

Unless they have changed the way Stop-Start is delivered on the T6 I just do not recognise these problems on my 180 DSG.
I can roll upto a junction and come to a stop and only when I twitch my foot on the brake does the engine cut out. Gently release the pressure on the brake, without moving, and the engine restarts. It has never activated in Reverse nor on a corner when the steering is turned. Never been held up at a roundabout and it has never failed to start when required.

If Owners have had such " Dangerous " moments have they reported it to VW? and what was the reply?

I think trying the Jackie Stewart 'imaginary basket of eggs on the bonnet' method could alleviate many of these perceived issues.

I think the point that @Legin makes is perhaps valid and worrying as there’s a few posts about turbo failures inc our friends who have just one fail on their 2017 204ps Cali at 20k Miles.

Coming off the motorway with a red hot turbo and then starving it of oil for 5 mins whilst you wait in traffic doesn’t seem sensible and is against lots of recommendations (google: let turbo cool down) but there’s others who think it’s an old wives tale. You would have thought it would have been intelligent enough not to stop and indeed there are times when it doesn’t (but I can’t get my head round when that is other than under heavy AC loads).

I agree tho that it can be controlled by break pressure.

Such focus on the dangerous comment. It still shortens your starter and turbo life and yes starters really are failing.

Thing is the momentary additional lag when pulling out spoils the driving experience. Pulling into busy traffic in a laden T6 is precarious. My T6 has the least responsive throttle on pull away of any vehicle I have ever owned, its truly terrible. Nothing happens then it dumps huge torque in which would spin the wheels in the dry let alone wet if it wasnt 4wd. Now I suspect this is partly a 199 emissions consequence as my alltrack wasnt as bad.

This module does nothing more than you can do with your little pinky and as I do on every stop start vehicle to date, I still press it every time in the X3.

There is no doubt in a manual its not an issue

So folks sitting with a foot on the clutch waiting for a gap or those having pressed the button have defeated the emissions control also.

Nope they havent its the design, if you werent allowed to switch it off then the function wouldnt be there.

Mine is T6 diesel DSG & it's no problem whatsoever - I sit at a junction, or pedestrian crossing & it cuts the engine, I lift off the brake pedal & it's restarted as my foot gets to the accelerator.
Absolutely with you on this @hirsty. No problem at all with the stop/start in 42,000 miles 150 DSG. I may be 1/10 second slower off the blocks at lights, but it hardly matters.

It is interesting how different people have such different perceptions of its usefulness.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Thank you for the OP and the heads up on the device.
I will carry on using the 'defeat' button as getting the panel off in one piece and not scratching the thing in the process means for now, on this occasion, I am out..........
I am glad we live in a world of such diverse opinions and attitudes in our current climate........

Absolutely with you on this @hirsty.

It is interesting how different people have such different perceptions of its usefulness.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Sorry or unusefulness...
I’ve ordered mine and going to fit ASAP.
Big thank you to the O/P.

As said above. Volkswagen have already fitted the button to deactivate anyway. So therefore it’s no different fitting this device, other than I don’t have to keep pressing the deactivate button every time I jump in the van.
Agree with @Legin. Nothing happens that it dumps the torque down and your wheel spinning like a goon.

Just another fantastically engineered Volkswagen emissions cheat :rolleyes:

I will carry on using the 'defeat' button
I am glad we live in a world of such diverse opinions and attitudes in our current climate........

so sod everyone else, yeah?

Genuinely disappointed with much of the above tbh, but the main points seem to have been covered now & (allegedly) no-one ever changed anyone else's mind on the internet ...

Pulling half your dashboard out to fit a (borderline illegal?) device to over-ride a small but important concession to public health to avoid minor inconvenience seems deeply wrong to me & shouldn't go unchallenged. Seems an metaphor for much else.

so sod everyone else, yeah?

Genuinely disappointed with much of the above tbh, but the main points seem to have been covered now & (allegedly) no-one ever changed anyone else's mind on the internet ...

Pulling half your dashboard out to fit a (borderline illegal?) device to over-ride a small but important concession to public health to avoid minor inconvenience seems deeply wrong to me & shouldn't go unchallenged. Seems an metaphor for much else.

? :cheers ?

It's funny that people think that something that actually genuinely reduces emissions is cheating emissions tests! ;)

I got my auto Cali back from the dealers today and handed back in the manual panel van. I’d say of the 5 times it cut out on the way back, only one was justified, the other 4, the engine stopped just as the obstruction cleared and restarted instantly. I do mean instantly; I doubt the flywheel had come to a full stop.

If anyone thinks 80% unnecessary instant restart cycles are ‘good’ for the environment (unburnt fuel and poorly combusted gases going straight through the system) they should think again.

It’s great on the manual. It may be great on T5s and some T6s, but it is pants on mine.

Last edited:
Oh and let’s hope any of the eco warriors attacking us here aren’t driving around with their bike racks or awnings left in place over winter, because they are having a real (not debatable) negative impact on the environment.

Having just replaced our second car, this has a stop-start function, but being manual, it only stops the engine when in neutral and handbrake on, i.e. when unlikely to move off quickly. A better implementation than the unpredictable one on my DSG Cali.

Last edited:
My previous BMW Auto stop/start was just as instant in switching off as the T6 and my Wife's Citroen Auto also displays the same characteristics, ie barely come to a stop at a giveway junction and engine powers down requiring a restarting delay. No switch on the Citroen just an option on the central touch screen if you are in the correct screen display mode. No doubt VW will go that route on T7 or T6.1

I recall asking BMW if it was possible to alter the time delay before the engine was switched off but got a negative answer.

The device reported on in this thread seems a good idea but not one for me as I don't want to dismantle the dash and splice in wires. I'll just keep pressing the button when required.

I got my auto Cali back from the dealers today and handed back in the manual panel van. I’d say of the 5 times it cut out on the way back, only one was justified, the other 4, the engine stopped just as the obstruction cleared and restarted instantly. I do mean instantly; I doubt the flywheel had come to a full stop.

If anyone thinks 80% unnecessary instant restart cycles are ‘good’ for the environment (unburnt fuel and poorly combusted gases going straight through the system) they should think again.

It’s great on the manual. It may be great on T5s and some T6s, but it is pants on mine.
I very much doubt if ANY unburnt fuel or poorly combusted gases make it out of the exhaust. A Diesel is not a Petrol Engine. The engine is already hot, so no glowplug required. One cylinder is charged with atomised fuel and air and once compressed by engine turnover it fires. There is in fact very little strain on the starter which is designed for this. Likewise turbos are designed for Stop/Start. In fact reports of early turbo failure are relatively rare.
Totally different when starting from cold as initially the cylinders are heated via the Glowplugs and the cylinder on the compression stroke although charged with air and fuel, that fuel is not atomised and so combustion is unlikely to occur on compression.

Back