Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Suggest a set up for a family with 4 children

Aw excellent thank you @jamesclarke foe sharing - sounds like we're going to be fine then!! We have got the beach now, but still looking for the seats 6 and 7.... I bought the Quechua pop up seconds base last night which I've read is pretty good for clearing out all that you don't need over night and also to give extra living space
If you can find seats with integrated child seats, you can disregard what the manual says about not being able to make the standard bed without seats 6 and 7 being removed completely.
  1. move the front seats as far forward as they will go
  2. rotate seats 6 & 7 so they are rear facing
  3. remove the plastic stoppers on the rails
  4. move seats 6 & 7 as far back as they will go
  5. pop up the child seats on seats 6 & 7
  6. the three seat bench can now be folded flat with the multiflex board fully extended
The front edge of the three seat bench will rest just above seat 6 & 7's child foot rests.

As someone else has already said, it will be much easier if you only take seat 6 and leave seat 7 behind; this gives you a handy vestibule by the sliding door.

Given that you have four children, and depending how often you take an additional person in your van, you might consider buying just one additional chair.

If you can find seats with integrated child seats, you can disregard what the manual says about not being able to make the standard bed without seats 6 and 7 being removed completely.
  1. move the front seats as far forward as they will go
  2. rotate seats 6 & 7 so they are rear facing
  3. remove the plastic stoppers on the rails
  4. move seats 6 & 7 as far back as they will go
  5. pop up the child seats on seats 6 & 7
  6. the three seat bench can now be folded flat with the multiflex board fully extended
The front edge of the three seat bench will rest just above seat 6 & 7's child foot rests.

As someone else has already said, it will be much easier if you only take seat 6 and leave seat 7 behind; this gives you a handy vestibule by the sliding door.

Given that you have four children, and depending how often you take an additional person in your van, you might consider buying just one additional chair.

Excellent advice thank you - I think we have decided one chair will be fine to start with anyway and the boys are so happy with the amount of space that they have on the 3 seat bench I think they will be quite happy with that configuration! I've had a look on eBay and there is one there which is leather with integrated child seat.... do you know if you can still use seat covers on a seat with the integrated child seat?

do you know if you can still use seat covers on a seat with the integrated child seat?
A very good question, and one that I hope to have confirmed very soon.

I am certain that standard seat covers cannot be used with the child seat popped up.

A very good question, and one that I hope to have confirmed very soon.

I am certain that standard seat covers cannot be used with the child seat popped up.

Yes I'm sure you're right as well... I know I'm not going to find an integrated child seat version in the Kutamo black so I have a choice to make!!! Do I have odd seats, or do I have a separate child seat!?!?

Yes I'm sure you're right as well... I know I'm not going to find an integrated child seat version in the Kutamo black so I have a choice to make!!! Do I have odd seats, or do I have a separate child seat!?!?
If it were me I'd take the leather one. But it's a personal choice: I would see different seats as enhancing the character of the van.