Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Suggest a set up for a family with 4 children

@Seaview thay was a thought from today's brainstorming as well... I really like eribas :) we are going to the nec caravan show next weekend so I guess we will see lots of alternatives there? Is it worth going as a Beach owner? Or is it mainly aimed at caravan owners?

Definately worth going to get ideas!

We were impressed with some of the more basic caravans on show, Imagine caravans that open at the back and you can wheel bicycles inside. Beds along the side can be flipped up and stowed to create more storage whilst towing yet still having a bathroom inside. Personally we prefer a more minimalistic approach when caravaning (ex-Eriba owner) and now with the Cali we travel light.

Definately worth going to get ideas!

We were impressed with some of the more basic caravans on show, Imagine caravans that open at the back and you can wheel bicycles inside. Beds along the side can be flipped up and stowed to create more storage whilst towing yet still having a bathroom inside. Personally we prefer a more minimalistic approach when caravaning (ex-Eriba owner) and now with the Cali we travel light.

Wow, they sound amazing... let's hope we don't get our heads turned I'm with you on the more minamilist approach though - it is nice with the caravan, but I do feel there's a lot of pressure to do it properly, if you know what I mean? You have to have the smart awning, perfectly put up, eat fancy food and basically act like you're not in a field - I can't wait to get back to the more relaxed approach

I've got 3 nippers and they all sleep up top - they love it up there. We find there is enough room for everything we need in the van for a few weeks away + a time (would need a laundry day mind). Enjoy!

We have a Khyam drive away which has a lounge and two additional bedrooms. We have had 8 shared between van and awning. Only takes 20 mins to put up and take down and attaches to rollout awning so you can open van door and feel like you are in one space.

Lots of other people do it this way. There are so many options it gets confusing, and that's the fun of campervaning!

Keep the caravan and ditch the tents arround it. The Beach can sleep 4, but it is not much room to live inside in bad weather etc. Carrying food, sleeping stuff, children seats etc will make it quite cramped. Remember, when folding the bed you need to remove three neckrestst. In your case a huge baby seat, maybe two children seats etc and the sixth chair on top of that. You will never have meals inside.
If you go the tent route you will have even less space for packing.

I think it's physically possible to sleep 6 but it will be a squeeze! We occasionally sleep 3 upstairs or 3 downstairs (2 adults and 1 toddler) so 6 is possible.

I have one lying around (same one, bought on ebay) that I've never used because our children sleep 3 in the top. If interested, send me a message.

As for the headrests from the bench and middle seats: yes they take space. We only take those that we need: if there's a child seat, we leave it at home, if the child's head doesn't yet go above the backrest, we also leave it at home. What's left we store in the front under the dashboard at night.

We are 5 in a beach (3 in top, 2 downstairs), and have a Kitchen pod and porta potti downstairs. I guess if you store the porta potti in the rear during the day, and the extra middle seat (but it's heavy..) in a popup tent, you can have the same setup as we do but with 3 downstairs. Doable!

If money is not an issue, you could consider this http://www.bettmobil.de/konzept/
I've considered it. It gives a lot of extra space at night... at the cost of space during the day. 7K euro though (only the bed extension.. which works with all 3 seats in)

We've had a Land Rover discovery which has been the ideal towing vehicle for our first experience, so a bit nervous of the difference we will feel towing with the beach
There are lots of VW T5/T6 owners who tow a caravan and use sites etc so I think they are a good tow vehicle. There is also the 4x4 option for the California, probably a good idea.

I should assume putting weight on a trailer (axle) and not all on just the towbar (thule carrier , and roofbars would drive better/safer....
Ok a trailer puts weight on the tow bar/verhicle also but if correctly loaded it should be minimized.

Disadvantage of a trailer/caravan is that it's harder in cities, finding parking spaces, maneuvering, ...
We visited Dubrovnik last year and the streets (even around the old town) where so small and corners so sharp it would have been impossible with a trailer.
Depends on the type of trip of course. And you could also leave the caravan at the campsite, then visit town with just the car of course.

We also have a Khyam Motordome sleeper Quick Erect put in 20-30 mins all done.

A little update... we sold our car yesterday in prep for getting the beach in march - spoke to the dealer today to ask for the final price on the extra seats that we need and it seems there is a chance we may not be able to add extra seats; they're also crazily priced at ÂŁ1000's each... does anyone have any experience in this area?

They often come up for sale on here for less than ÂŁ500, might be worth placing a wanted advert.

A little update... we sold our car yesterday in prep for getting the beach in march - spoke to the dealer today to ask for the final price on the extra seats that we need and it seems there is a chance we may not be able to add extra seats; they're also crazily priced at ÂŁ1000's each... does anyone have any experience in this area?

This place usually has all the seats you will ever need :

http://vwt5teile.de/?do=czesci&k=6&lang=uk

No idea about shipping costs....those things are HEAVY ;)

Last year we did a 1 month trip around Italy with 4 kids in our Beach (10, 8, 6 and 2). The usual configuration was the two older kids sleeping up in the roof and the rest of us sleeping in a popup tent.

We have a 7 seater beach, with one of the middle row single seats removed.

For extra storage in the beach we have one of these : http://www.california-camping.de/t5...aukasten-fuer-den-t5-t6-california-beach.html

Other than that, nothing special - the usual Euroboxes in the back for storage, a Waeco CK-40D fridge and a couple of gas stoves.

This year we are planning to get an awning of some description, either a Fiamma F45s or an Omnistor (as fitted originally to the California's from VW).

Reactions: Jez
Last year we did a 1 month trip around Italy with 4 kids in our Beach (10, 8, 6 and 2). The usual configuration was the two older kids sleeping up in the roof and the rest of us sleeping in a popup tent.

We have a 7 seater beach, with one of the middle row single seats removed.

For extra storage in the beach we have one of these : http://www.california-camping.de/t5...aukasten-fuer-den-t5-t6-california-beach.html

Other than that, nothing special - the usual Euroboxes in the back for storage, a Waeco CK-40D fridge and a couple of gas stoves.

This year we are planning to get an awning of some description, either a Fiamma F45s or an Omnistor (as fitted originally to the California's from VW).
I've thought about this setup for our case with 1 child less (popup tent for 3, 2 in the roof) for when they are older.
- What type of popup tent? If it must fit 4..
- Did you change campsite every day?
- How do you deal with a wet poup tent or do you wait until it's dry before leaving?
- Can the cali heater heat the awning as well if you leave the side door open?

The big advantage I see is that the living area can remain in place.. and so you have more living space. And you separate children - which can help them catching sleep.
But with 6 in a beach this is perhaps the only way whereas with 5 their still is an alternative possible without popup tent.

Disadvantages,, extra mattresses, popup tent and side awning, I honestly would not know where to store them (or should I say what else to leave at home). And setup will take a bit longer..

Are my assumptions right? How did you experience traveling like this?

- Can the cali heater heat the awning as well if you leave the side door open?
The exhaust for the diesel heater is unfortunately near the sliding door so will not be pleasant or safe to sleep in an attached awning with theheater running.

The exhaust for the diesel heater is unfortunately near the sliding door so will not be pleasant or safe to sleep in an attached awning with theheater running.

Please note that the heater exhaust is easy to adapt to your needs. If you want it on the opposite side, it is easy to transfer to the other side.

We have a seven seat beach and 4 children aged 8, 10, 13 and 15. We sleep 3 upstairs, 3 down. Its OK for a few nights but we take a tent for longer. You can make the bed with all 7 seats in, its easier if you take one out as it gives a space next to the door.

We have a seven seat beach and 4 children aged 8, 10, 13 and 15. We sleep 3 upstairs, 3 down. Its OK for a few nights but we take a tent for longer. You can make the bed with all 7 seats in, its easier if you take one out as it gives a space next to the door.

Aw excellent thank you @jamesclarke foe sharing - sounds like we're going to be fine then!! We have got the beach now, but still looking for the seats 6 and 7.... I bought the Quechua pop up seconds base last night which I've read is pretty good for clearing out all that you don't need over night and also to give extra living space