Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Surf key

J

Jandy61

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Cali On Order
Evening
Does anyone know the cost of buying a surf key? Also does the van lock fully if the main keys are hidden inside the vehicle . Getting close to ordering a van, so not sure if the 4 key option is better,
but obviously these needs to be kept dry.
Thanks

It depends where you get it I suppose but it should be around £10 from a locksmith.

Yes, it locks the whole van even with the keys are inside.

The annoying thing that I find is that it sets off the alarm when you open it again. You get a few odd looks in the carpark until you can find your key to turn it off!

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

The 4 key option when ordering new is worth having
especially at that price.
I got a surf key cut at the busfest for a tenner.

Great thanks, obviously I could get both, but every option is adding up

If you leave a proper key in the van, insurance may not pay out if the van gets stolen. They will at least try to wriggle out of paying. For this reason I have a surf key, hide a proper key in the van and I also have a n Autowatch Ghost fitted, so the proper key is useless without the code for the ghost.

there is a guy on EBay that can produce a basic key ( no fob), key blade or a plastic emergency key, you can either send him the key number ( from the original black tag) or send him a photo of the key blade, he then supplies the key and lets you know the number for future use

There are lots of threads relating to surf key, 4 key option and ways of dealing with alarms when a surf key is used.
Frustratingly for me, I don't have the expertise to copy them here! (I might try again, so you may get a random post).
I inherited 4 keys and I think that it's very useful to have that many.

If you leave a proper key in the van, insurance may not pay out if the van gets stolen. They will at least try to wriggle out of paying. For this reason I have a surf key, hide a proper key in the van and I also have a n Autowatch Ghost fitted, so the proper key is useless without the code for the ghost.
This is something I have been considering getting, if you don’t mind me asking, what is the price for the Ghost system fitted to a Cali

There are lots of threads relating to surf key, 4 key option and ways of dealing with alarms when a surf key is used.
Frustratingly for me, I don't have the expertise to copy them here! (I might try again, so you may get a random post).
I inherited 4 keys and I think that it's very useful to have that many.
Yes had a good read on older posts but couldn’t find a rough price of these surf keys, just wanted to compare before I tick that box

This is something I have been considering getting, if you don’t mind me asking, what is the price for the Ghost system fitted to a Cali
I think it was around £400. I can’t remember though.

Evening
Does anyone know the cost of buying a surf key? Also does the van lock fully if the main keys are hidden inside the vehicle . Getting close to ordering a van, so not sure if the 4 key option is better,
Thanks

If you have the 4 keys, then disassemble the blade of one of the keys. Then you can have the surf key (stuck to a safe location outside the van) as well as the remote (safely tucked inside the van in a metal box).

The reason for this is -
- if you lock your key inside the van, yes, just the surf key will help.
- if you loose your key, then you have the surf key to open then van, and still have the remote to start the vehicle and reach your destination.

Check out this thread for more details - https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/thread...st-a-cautionary-tale.38412/page-2#post-478266

Evening
Thanks
Wish i’d gone for the 4 key option, just for additional cover. Then as Welshgas has done, would have removed the key element from one of them and hid the electronic fob in the van.
Keep the key in i.e. a wallet or on a chain round your neck. In a locked out situation let yourself into the van with it, locate the hidden fob to disable the alarm.
Have been trying to get a surf key recently with little success. Apparently, according to Timpsons in my village they don’t do them anymore and a locksmith in Aylesbury I called didn’t know what one was. I’ll keep looking.

So, just messaged telecomman re’ a surf key for my t6.1. Here’s his response :-(

Mike
Unfortunately this is the latest VW high security key blade, unlike the previous VW key that I could decode.
Rgds
Jim

So, just messaged telecomman re’ a surf key for my t6.1. Here’s his response :-(

Mike
Unfortunately this is the latest VW high security key blade, unlike the previous VW key that I could decode.
Rgds
Jim
That sounds both good and bad.
Bad if you need a key cutting but good to
hear that Vw are upping the security levels.

We have two fobs and two VW chipped rigid keys which our dealer cut and chipped for us after the MY16 option (which we’d selected) of two fobs and two rigid was withdrawn.

The only annoyance is that if you lock with a fob and open with a rigid the alarm goes off until you put the rigid in the ignition and turn.

So VW should be able to cut and chip a rigid key for you. With a chip but no battery you should be able to safely swim with it.

Of course, as with anything VW, you will have to pay an inflated price for the key - £40 as a guesstimate.

£11 ebay. as said. send a pic of the blade or the code. i thought i'd get one without the microchip so it just opens the drivers door and won't start the van. so doesn't matter if it gets wet. ie the name...surf key.
but you can also get a coded one that will also start the engine
i've now got 2 surf keys and the 2 original fobs. long story

My surf key is for pure emergency, lock out situation,
when we travel we bring two Fob keys.
One for me one for the Boss,
so assume an emergency lock out entry key is all we need.
The surf key will not start the Cali, purely open the doors (setting the alarm off)
In case of lock out situation
allowing us to retrive the main keys If left in the Cali.

Mike
Rgds
Jim
So nobody with a 6.1 has managed to get a surf key cut? Or has the blade changed on MY21?

So nobody with a 6.1 has managed to get a surf key cut? Or has the blade changed on MY21?
Don’t know. Based on some others advice i’m going to go round the loop again on this. Must be possible to get a ‘dumb’ key surely?

Don’t know. Based on some others advice i’m going to go round the loop again on this. Must be possible to get a ‘dumb’ key surely?

Why don’t you ask VW how much it would be to cut a rigid key?

Even if it is chipped, going in the water with it should cause an issue with the chip, and even if it does, you will have an unchipped rigid key (a surf key).

For what it's worth, I bought a super strong Neodymium counter sunk magnet to hide my surf key. Drilled a small hole through the centre of the plastic part of the key and attached the magnet with a small stainless nut and bolt. Can now be placed very securely almost anywhere under the van should I ever need it. Worth dipping the key blade in wax or grease to prevent any corrosion. https://www.first4magnets.com/count...mium-magnet-5-7kg-pull-p2968#ab_1_1|ps_2_1139

Attachments

• magnet.jpg
    magnet.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 32