Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Surf key

for those of us with older vehicles, I just got 2 surf keys cut by Jim Mann who was mentioned above - one for the Cali and one for our other car. He did them both from photos and posted the keys 1st class recorded, 21 quid paid by Paypal. Excellent service, well recommended.

his email is telecommann at hot mail . com (spaces to prevent the forum spam filter from masking it)

Well after all these posts, I’m glad iv been able to tick the 4 key option.
Same - I didn’t initially but went back and added it. I’ve lost one car key in my life, when my jacket was stolen in a restaurant. I’d not be happy to have only one key, so the 4 key option seemed a small price to pay now given the cost of one replacement key from VW

Have never seen the point of 4 keys. Unless you’re willing to take a gamble on any lost key being permanently lost, rather than stolen or found and associated to your van, you‘re still going to need to get the barrels replaced, which means new blades and the spare keys recoded. Doesn’t make sense to me, despite the initial low relative cost, unless you actually need more than the standard 2 keys routinely.

If you leave a proper key in the van, insurance may not pay out if the van gets stolen. They will at least try to wriggle out of paying. For this reason I have a surf key, hide a proper key in the van and I also have a n Autowatch Ghost fitted, so the proper key is useless without the code for the ghost.
I just had a new key experience. Somebody knocked on my van saying a traffic warden was coming along the road.
In a rush I packed everything up grabbed the keys and shut the roof. Then couldn’t find the key anywhere. The stress.I had to retrieve the spare key from it’s hiding place and moved the van just in time. I then spent ages looking for the flipping key going back to where I had parked. Looking in the fridge etc. and eventually found the other key which I had shut in the roof.

I just had a new key experience. Somebody knocked on my van saying a traffic warden was coming along the road.
In a rush I packed everything up grabbed the keys and shut the roof. Then couldn’t find the key anywhere. The stress.I had to retrieve the spare key from it’s hiding place and moved the van just in time. I then spent ages looking for the flipping key going back to where I had parked. Looking in the fridge etc. and eventually found the other key which I had shut in the roof.
I must have shut the roof with the spare key.

I have also have a surf key which is an emergency spare in case we I shut the boot with keys inside. Timpson cut it for £10.
I had a surf key from timpsons - now I take the fob off the keys and put it in a dry pack.

Why?

The surf key worked for 18 months, then one day just wouldn't turn in the lock. So there's me in my wet gear locked out of the van.

Took an hour before my better half could get across with the spare. I was proper cold by then!!!!

Wonder if anyone else has had this happen?

Simon

I had a surf key from timpsons - now I take the fob off the keys and put it in a dry pack.

Why?

The surf key worked for 18 months, then one day just wouldn't turn in the lock. So there's me in my wet gear locked out of the van.

Took an hour before my better half could get across with the spare. I was proper cold by then!!!!

Simon
How many owners, nowadays with remote locking, even bother lubricating the lock and using the key occasionally. Not just the California.
SWMBO couldn't even find the key lock on her Smart Car.

I don't now if previous versions of the van are the same, but on the T6.1 the keys are "personalised" each key has is linked to the user profile & sets heating, radio, external mirrors etc to that persons settings.

Why?

Simon

Said it before, but will say it again.
Aquapac...

I would never use a cut key and leave the original in the van. It’s asking for heartache at the end of a surf session.
The same with those silly padlock boxes people attach to their vehicles. Had a complete stranger open mine within 20 seconds at Porthcawl years back. Put it in the bin and used aquas ever since.

Did you ever sort your surf key GG?
No not yet Jenny. Am going to try an independent locksmith in Aylesbury next time I visit the town (which is rare).

I don't now if previous versions of the van are the same, but on the T6.1 the keys are "personalised" each key has is linked to the user profile & sets heating, radio, external mirrors etc to that persons settings.
Interesting. So me and my better half should use our own key to start the van, rather than sharing one? It will revert to the setting the last time that key was used?

Interesting. So me and my better half should use our own key to start the van, rather than sharing one? It will revert to the setting the last time that key was used?
Thats what the manual says & up to 4 keys can be paired

Got mine from this chap. Great service and he can cut a surf key (blade) based on a photograph of your key.
Me too …cut from photos and works fine but no chip so have a ‘surf’ key now that I plan to use this year on our travels 01EEB54B-4EA5-4C8C-A5CC-9C0CC2177842.jpeg351E6D5B-3B44-4469-B861-2B93DDC498F7.jpeg

Anyone manged to find a T6.1 option yet?

Try below - you will still need to get it cut though, but not too bulky on a lanyard under a wetsuit.

1644941879125.png

Try below - you will still need to get it cut though, but not too bulky on a lanyard under a wetsuit.

View attachment 89260
I got this but found it difficult to get cut by main high street retailers - said plastic was too thin for their cutters. I did eventually get it cut by a small independent in Pwlleli and works a treat. Another option is to get the blade cut on a brass key and much cheaper; some have a chrome finish but any rust is superficial. Brass keys are now more difficult to source but the independents are the place to look.

How many owners, nowadays with remote locking, even bother lubricating the lock and using the key occasionally. Not just the California.
SWMBO couldn't even find the key lock on her Smart Car.
I had a problem with my Audi a few years back in which both keys got locked into the car. Audi Assist came out to open the car. First he cleaned and lubricated the lock before he could you the key tool. He said that the locks get gummed up as most people do not use the keys anymore.
Might be worth trying the key once in a while.

i bought a surf key for £12 and a small magnetic key container - and it can be secured / hidden behind the back bumper - been on for three years not needed yet