Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Suspension, TERRIBLE ride...

Had mine done at Bognor a few years back (prior to Covid). Cant remember the price. 2k ish? I hated my lowering springs so much I sold to a chap for £65 for the four and told him the ride is dreadful. Still he bought them.

Mine is down about 45mm. Handling is great / comfortable. But it does drag the mudflaps. If I could be bothered I would reset about 10-15mm higher.

, lifted the rear with washers to get better nose down and stop under steer
Lifting the rear will reduce caster not camber. Caster is the self entering effect on steering and has little effect on turn in understeer.
Increasing camber will reduce understeer as will adding a rear ARB.

Lifting the rear will reduce caster not camber. Caster is the self entering effect on steering and has little effect on turn in understeer.
Increasing camber will reduce understeer as will adding a rear ARB.
Steve at CRS Performance says that the floor of a Cali has to be 40mm higher at the rear, just like an empty panel van, or the steering will go "light." That's his experience, but certainly not mine. Read for yourselves on the T6 forum:

Last edited:
Caster angle is what loads the steering. More caster , heavier steering.
Lifting the rear decreases caster.
Other things come into play such as scrub radius/offset but that’s beyond the scope of this forum.

My experience is results speak for themselves. Result for me has been transformational
No amount of self proclaimed suspension experts can change that
In CRS I know a real expert when I see one, great result

[
Steve at CRS Performance says that the floor of a Cali has to be 40mm higher at the rear, just like an empty panel van, or the steering will go "light." That's his experience, but certainly not mine. Read for yourselves on the T6 forum:

Any business that needs to resort to personal insults is best avoided in my opinion.

Bognor Motors is well worth the drive!

If you're getting the suspension checked, for a 2010 Cali, the first thing I would do is replace all the suspension bushes. In certain conditions The rubber deteriorates very rapidly and is one of the key components that makes the ride nice. Replacing the shocks without replacing the rubber bushes may not give you the required smoothness in ride that you desire.

Replacing all the bushes is not an expensive item unless you go for Poly bushes all around which will make the suspension perform even better.

Yes, suspension upgrade. Should I really include replacing all bushes.

Enjoy the Cali!
If, a big if, you replace the bushes it's worth the outlay for the Camber & Caster Adjustable Poly bush set.

I did mine and has improved ride and handling as wheel geometry is now close to spec as apposed to being just in spec with different angles on each wheel.

I think Steve may well know his suspension on Panel vans, but seems to miss the point that an empty Ocean is no different to a half loaded panel van. So no point trying to get the setup to match an empty panel van.

Having read that, I’m not sure he does say that.

“Steve at CRS Performance says that the floor of a Cali has to be 40mm higher at the rear,”

He doesn’t say that there does he?!
Cali not mentioned.

You clearly like arguing with him on T6 site. He can’t defend himself here. Just saying. I don’t think he does say that.

I was just pointing out that you were putting words in his mouth on the link you posted and I read.

I’m not spending this evening reading the greatest hits of CRS v Clarinet dude. I’m sure there’s many.

In the link you posted he didn’t say that.

I have no opinion on who is wrong. However nothing has put me off going to see Steve - who I’ve never spoke to - when I can afford it.

Interesting. My Cali was mighty on the way back from Wales in the pouring rain, sure footed and carrying excellent corner speed without even trying. Not experienced understeer

I was just pointing out that you were putting words in his mouth on the link you posted and I read.

I’m not spending this evening reading the greatest hits of CRS v Clarinet dude. I’m sure there’s many.

In the link you posted he didn’t say that.

I have no opinion on who is wrong. However nothing has put me off going to see Steve - who I’ve never spoke to - when I can afford it.
Just don’t have the front lower than the back.
I felt like I was sliding off the seat into the pedals.
If I go to Steve and have the Shocks changed, I’ll be having it 20mm lower all round.
(With nothing inside the California)
But then I love the swamper look.
What a PIA !

Photo before and after and a review after fitting would be good pls guys :thumb

are you going to be using the original OEM springs ?

Yes, Steve from CRS suggested to use original OEM springs with KONI shocks. Picture of what exactly do you want? :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, Steve from CRS suggested to use original OEM springs with KONI shocks. Picture of what exactly do you want? :)

If Steve ever does mine again, I wouldn’t let him talk me into having the California look like it has the same height front and back.
I was always feeling like I was falling forward in mine after Steve made the height the same.
I’d have a larger gap at the front.
Just my option of how it felt with Koni’s all round and a smaller rubber at the front.

If Steve ever does mine again, I wouldn’t let him talk me into having the California look like it has the same height front and back.
I was always feeling like I was falling forward in mine after Steve made the height the same.
I’d have a larger gap at the front.
Just my option of how it felt with Koni’s all round and a smaller rubber at the front.

Weird that.
He fcuked mine up exactly the same too…
Lasted 4 weeks, before I went back.

Koni suspension is total BS. It’s a placebo effect.
If you want a sporty handling van, great I get it, but expect a harsher ride.
END OF…!!!

Yep not changing springs at all. I vaguely remember talking about anti roll bars but I don’t think I agreed to anything other than new shocks. He has a rather reassuring phone voice.
I will try and get a before picture.

It seems you have some bad experience with CRS and Koni, could you tell me more about it please? Just wanna be prepared

Back