Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Swivel Just One Seat

C

Californicator

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Bit of a daft question but not picked up my van yet so can't experiment.

Just wondered so many of you just swivel the passenger seat, whether for convenience or not wanting to mess with derived position?

There will usually just be 3 of us in the van including a 4 year old.

With the table clipped in place and drivers seat pulled forward but not swivelled , is it easy to get access to the swivelled passenger seat (right hand drive)

Thanks

Yes no problem with just the passenger seat. We often do the same ourselves.
Re the table, we have a SE which works fine but I'll leave it to a Beach owner to confirm.

I always (nearly always) rotate both of the front seats but I can understand why a lot of folks would only rotate the passengers side. For me to rotate the drivers side I need to disengage to hand brake, fun when on a hill, and wind the seat recliner position to as far forward as possible. I then have to carefully work the seat round taking care not to hit the side pillar with the recliner nob and miss the steering wheel. Where as the passenger side I can very often just rotate it with little or no adjustment to the seat.

I usual only turn the passengerseat (right seat)on our LHD SE .
We are just two and as the driverseat is more difficult to turn(LHD -steering wheel and kitchen wardrobe in the way) i usual don't bother.
When parked up for longer periode i turn them both creating more space...

Well, someone has to be awkward :shocked

I mostly only rotate the drivers seat.

1471596187203-1268583480.jpg

This is right now. I keep driver seat as it is unless I plan on staying in the same spot for more then 24 hours, then I'd flip both, the reason is as Raggedroy explained it.

Hope you enjoy your Cali as much as we do

Personally we always rotate both, drivers seat take seconds once you have a routine....

We have had the LHD Cali for a couple of month, put more than 7000 km in it, but never turned the drivers seat yet. We are most of the times two and only so far used the car in the summer.

I imagine its different ind the RHD. You have either the StearingwheelHandbrake or the Kitchen?

For just the two of us we only rotate the drivers seat - like it says above, can be done very quickly once you learn how - and it does give a bit more space in the RHD.

For three of us, in an Ocean, just the passenger seat (unless a longer stop). I guess it would be different in winter, as you'd otherwise have to go outside to get to the passenger seat at mealtimes!

This is fascinating; our now habitual set up is swivel drivers seat, passenger seat as far forward as it will go then straighten the back for easy steps up to the top bed. Leaves room for wet stuff in front

Well, anyway, much more interesting than what I'm supposed to be doing in front of a screen on a soggy friday afternoon in front of a screen . . .

Its a definite knack, the pillars do mark very easily.... but we always swivel both.... the driving seat is in a position that we only have to wind the back in and turn
as the base is in the correct position...... there is somewhere on the forum where someone has placed tape on the base somehow so that when lined up it will turn with ease....

The driver's seat is best not rotated when gear box is in D, but recommended when in R .

(albeit flexibility and being double jointed help)

Another reason for only swiveling one of the seats is that it then makes it easier (IMO) to climb into and out of the roof bed, by using the 'shoulder' of the forward-facing seat as a step.

So we usually keep the driver's seat facing forward (our Cali is RHD).

For three of us, in an Ocean, just the passenger seat (unless a longer stop). I guess it would be different in winter, as you'd otherwise have to go outside to get to the passenger seat at mealtimes!
Why?
I have no problem accessing the Passenger seat. Just slide the table forwards and backwards.

thanks for all the replies - far more than I thought I'd get tbh!
I'm looking forward to finding out what i do with mine