Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T 6.1 Lounge Feature

1st time I have used it tonight (the Van is 2 weeks old), I needed to make some room in the boot so pulled up on the strap, the roller from the top housing flirted off into the Habitat area and the whole shelf pulled up, out and then proceeded to deeply scratch the plastic panel in the boot. I reseated the shelf ( it clearly wasn't locked in properly), found the roller and replaced it but the shelf is now stuck on a diagonal and won't go down. I have decided to leave it for the night as I my blood was starting to get a little hot!

im actually really looking forward to this, just giving a different point of view, its actually a great idea but it makes you concentrate the mind on packing and how much you take, one think ive learnt so many times is you end up taking stuff that you never really use so maybe be stricter with yourself, remember you dont have to use the function its just there if you wish too, for me i will devote that shelf to the bedding so wen i want to use it will be with all bedding on , but all i remember in my last cali was never been able to be comfortable trying to rest up using my laptop with bed down etc so for me that features is one of reason i signed for our new cali last week (and praying it may come this year lol)

How easy will it be to pull up with all the bedding on it...?

Just a quick update from me. Managed to sort it out and working fine now, but I still have a damaged internal panel. For anyone collecting a new Van add this to your check list, check the parcel shelf is locked!
Thanks
What do you mean locked?

I kept it simple, with just two wooden sticks (with velcro ends). Here's a picture from an old set-up. Nowadays I have two large containers underneath, just fitting with my Fiamma leveling ramps and folding relax chairs. (You can easily slide the containers out, sit on them, use them as a step e.g. to clean the roof, use the lids as sunshades,... ). In case of a boot drawer, you could make two brackets starting from the original shelf supports.

IMG_E0523.jpg IMG_0540 (1).jpg

Very easy, & once bed is made up it can be done from inside the van.

Im convinced.
Sounds like an excellent feature. Now can we retro fit into the old T6...

Anyone know if it can easily removed like the wire T6 type, because looking at the pics, it looks like it not built to take out.
Easily removed yes, putting it back not so much. I've actually starting putting stickers on the board asking customers not to remove it. It's a complete PITA and heavy. Personally I prefer the T6 way of doing things.

Easily removed yes, putting it back not so much. I've actually starting putting stickers on the board asking customers not to remove it. It's a complete PITA and heavy. Personally I prefer the T6 way of doing things.

I would have thought there is far less reason to remove it than a T6 one.
You can stand it up on end without needing to take it out & can lift it up like a parcel shelf in an ordinary car.

The only real disadvantage that I can see is security of the boot space, with the old grid, no one was able to lift it without opening the boot first.
Now you can smash the boot window & pull the cord to lift it with the boot still shut & gain access underneath.

How easy will it be to pull up with all the bedding on it...?
Depends on how much bedding. I tend to strap anything, on the shelf, down otherwise if you tilt the shelf anything on it wants to go down the gap !!!!! Good job I've got a pull out tray or I never would have found my lighter.........

Does this new lounge feature prevent the rear bench from being slid back further than it normally would be with the board present (eg. To better accommodate fifth seat?)

In some of the photos it looks like the black metal brackets may prevent the bench from being pushed back unless the bench has been changed versus T6

@andyinluton you’re a fifth seat expert and have had both systems, so particularly keen to hear your thoughts

@Camperfamily
The bench sits about 50mm further back than in a T5 so you do get a small amount more leg room as standard.

The metal brackets are removed with the board, thats why the board is now an awkward heavy lump, rather than just a flat panel. With it out the bed moves the same as earlier models.

If you were going to be a regular 5th seat user & buying new I would ask the dealer to investigate the as yet unseen folding Ocean board.

Its shown in the handbook & looks to have a folding flap - at a guess about 6 inches long adjacent to the seat back, that flips up to allow the bench to be slid back to to create more leg room.

As far as I know, no-one has ever seen one or managed to get more details. I would have thought that it should have been standard if 5 seats were specified. My 5 seater does not have it though.
Would be brilliant if the bed could be made up with the 5th seat in place as well, or even just a slightly shorter bed as a four seater. If kids are downstairs we could easily loose a foot off the bed.

Last edited:
Thanks @andyinluton for that very helpful response.

Good to hear the extra legroom as standard - I thought it looked slightly more in a photo of a T6.1 with fifth seat installed.

I remember your post about the folding bed although can’t locate it now. That would be a really helpful feature even for non-fifth seat users just to gain so extra living space

Heres a reminder - I don't think it has the lounge feature, but its definitely a wardrobe shown on the left so is in a Ocean / Coast.
IMG_2643.jpg

Back