Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T4 California Roll Call

This is turning into the longest thread in the world..... :clap

Still a bit behind the roof bellows thread and a long way behind the roof corrosion thread. Hopefully those have quietened down now though as the problems are solved.

Nice looking van Dan. Looks like a big increase in space over the SWB side kitchen layout.

dan.

Cheers mate, yeah the van feels massive compared to our last camper (hyundai H100), defo gonna need to remember how tall it is!

Can anyone recommend some lowering springs for these vans, I take it they need to be fairly heavy duty as the Cali isn't very light. Also do you need to up-rate the dampers?

Dan No2!

Dan2 (we'll go with that)

Heavy duty springs from JustKampers. 40mm lower. Make sure you go for the genuine TUV (German MOT) rated units (Blue colour I think?).

Not too expensive. Take about 10 mins/side to fit. Dampers are fine. Some believe you need to tweak the brake bias valve to accomodate the new ride height. I've not bothered.

http://www.justkampers.com/vw-t4-parts/ ... on-t4.html

Front is just a case of unwinding the torsion bar nuts. 27mm socket. BIG extension bar. Soak them in WD40 for a couple of weeks before hand.

S.

HELP. Still struggling to upload photos, I've done all that said previous but no joy. When I get to choose file and click on it nothing happens it just says no file selected. Its driving me crazy! :headbang

Is the file definitely 150x150 pixels (or less)?
what format is the file? jpeg? gif?
Is the file size less than 60kb?

dan

Have you checked thr file size? I think there is a limit?

I've exhausted my IT powers :crazy

Hi Dan, I'm trying to take them from my +++++. Address and they are jpg. And are 1.5mb but don't know the pixel size. Oh and I'm using my HP. Touchpad, cheers. Darren.

What are you trying to do :?: is it your avatar or just upload pictures to a post :?:

CaliKev, I think Darren is trying to set his Avatar picture.

Darren, that file is far to big for your avatar, it needs to be resized. I'm not sure what tools you have available on the touchpad, but you can do it on an online service such as photobucket.com.

If you're not sure how to go about that I can do it for you.

dan

D2,

She looks like a peach! Nice colour choice ;)

Where did you find him/her? German import? Milage? Owners?

S.

she's in outstanding condition all original. We bought her from a guy in poole, dorset who impoted her from Dortmund in march this year. One previous owner with loads of service history albeit in german but slowly translating via tinternet, she's done 156,000 miles but had a full vw 2.4d engine replacement at 52k. Under their manufacturers warranty and runs like a dream. We had a t25 cali. Before this which we loved but this is a different beast altogether, we absolutely love her and can't wait for the season ahead. Once again thanks for all your advice and loving the forum. :thumb

Not sure if it's the right thread but did they ever make a Syncro version of the T4 Westfalia California Event?

I've checked here http://www.westfaliat4.info/html/2001_v ... forni.html but no mention of it.

Does the Syncro add value or just usefulness?

Assuming reasonable miles, good condition history etc.

What should I expect to pay for a 2000/01/02 California Syncro?

I've seen a couple of syncro westies come up for sale and know of one other that was coverted (if you are handy with the spanners apparently it isn't that hard to transfer the syncro stuff from a donor van).

So they are out there. All the ones I've seen were older. I wouldn't want to guess at how much a late westy syncro would fetch. I doubt it would be considered a reasonable amount :D

The syncro system itself is supposed to work very well. Downside is there is little knowledge out there about how to fix it when it goes wrong.

TwentyOneThirtyFive said:
I've seen a couple of syncro westies come up for sale and know of one other that was coverted (if you are handy with the spanners apparently it isn't that hard to transfer the syncro stuff from a donor van).

So they are out there. All the ones I've seen were older. I wouldn't want to guess at how much a late westy syncro would fetch. I doubt it would be considered a reasonable amount :D

The syncro system itself is supposed to work very well. Downside is there is little knowledge out there about how to fix it when it goes wrong.

Thanks, would you say £17k would be a good price?

Also how would one tell if it's an original Syncro or a conversion?

Could you even get a 2wd at that age for that much? Campervans4u have a 2wd 2001 for 20k at the moment.

I think you'd have to look at the vehicle documents (original sales info), or find the M-code plate (I've never been able to find the info in my van!) and decode that.

I'd love an early syncro and I know what I'd use it for ;)

In seriousness, if I was interested in a late van I'd be considering a T5 with the 4Motion. I am impressed by what that can do. There's a video on here somewhere of a 4motion cali on an off road training day. The system seems a lot more common than syncro ever was and I imagine that means it's easier to get it fixed when it breaks.

hellow everybody
Just noticed this thread today and yes, you do have an extra T4 member: a VW T4 california from april 1991, about 280000 km, we have it for just over a year now. Last trip: Winterberg Germany and... Westfalia Mobil GmbH | Franz-Knöbel-Straße 34 | 33378 Rheda-Wiedenbrück: the birthplace of our bus (and a I think the one of all your beautiful T4-vans also) :thumb

Last summer, we've met a lot of lovely people at the France Meet and... a storm, which we also survived ;)
We hope to attend the COTF in July. Why hope? We surrely want to come but my spouse is pregnant! Our first!
:bananadance
So maybe she's still on her feet -we'll hope for the best!- and than we'll make our first trip to England with the cali.
We are from Belgium, so there could be some slips of the pen in my post...
Greets :hello
Calibusje
Belgium

DSCF5216_opt.jpg

Hi All
Just joined the forum and would like to add our 1991 T4 California 2.4d to the list which I have owned for 2 months now.

260k kms and runs well, lots of little things I want to do but have used this forum to point me in the right direction so far. Have been to Wurzle Dubs and German and Vag so far this year. Currently also booked at COTF and V-Dub Island, by then I think it will have been given a good enough shake down :D

Loving it so far :thumb

Ben

T4 Cali Generayion. V happy with it. Spec as per signature. My daily driver plus holiday accommodation.

Back