Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Is there a home for a T4 California owner here ?

MarcLeFuture

MarcLeFuture

Hi everyone,

We bought our first VW Westfalia a couple of weeks ago. It's a 1994 T4 California Tour hi-top and we're all looking forward to going away for our first night in it tomorrow.

I have been looking around the internet to see if there are any dedicated owners clubs/forums but can't really find anything as yet. This seemed to be the closest one for our type of van? I haven't come across any other California Tour owners yet. Are they fairly rare in the UK? Does anyone out there own one? Are they frowned upon by other VW owners? I ask this last question because I did go on the T4 owners club to introduce myself, say hi and put a few photos on but no-one replied or even said hi back :cry:

Would love to go on some meets but everyone seems to have pop-tops. Anyway, any advice, pointers in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Cheers :thanks

Re: Is there a home for us here?

Welcome to the party. We're a friendly bunch here.

Re: Is there a home for us here?

Hi Mark and welcome, we do have a couple of other T4 California owners on here but they have not posted for a while, I have changed your post title to try and grab their attention, anyway you are more than welcome here and to any of our meets.

Welcome T4 cali don't worry it's not like some of the clicky forum's around ....

It's a VW a "T" and a cali ,so your home is here :barmy :thumb :D

Thanks guys, I already feel more welcome here (if a little different). I'll try and put some pics up....

In Cardingmill Valley, Shropshire. Our first outing :D

cc.JPG bb.JPG

Of course there is a home here. Nice van by the way. Is there lots of room up top? The problem with a pop-top is finding space for all the luggage when you want to drive away if the kids have stuffed all their gear upstairs!

We had a grey 1995 T4 Cali pop-top in 2010 and toured up to Glasgow, Loch Ness (Inveruiry campsite good) and onto Banff (not in Canada!). We had some good times in it, but had to sell as it was getting expensive to fix. We loved using the van, always a sense of advanture when we set out in it. I can remember our 3 month old son sleeping on the floor underneath the rear bed in a moses basket.

... sorry getting nostalgic.

Hi Rupert, thanks.

The bed in the roof is slightly longer I think than the rock n roll bed downstairs but the headroom is not so good. Maybe a couple of feet height-wise? If we didn't have the kids with us we could probably sleep up there to save getting the bed out downstairs. I guess it's all about experimenting with different configurations atm. I did find today that if I turn the passenger seat to face backwards, I can fit the porta potti in the footwell and curtain it off for privacy so we now have a separate toilet compartment! :lol:

We did have a pop-top a couple of years ago -a Mazda Bongo but it was just a bit small for the four of us. We always seemed to put the roof down wet and it was a bit cold in winter so specifically wanted a high-top this time round. Before that (and before we had kids), we had an old bay window tintop so the VW thing never really left us tbh.

Hopefully this one won't cost us too much money!

All the best,

Marc

Thanks for the reply. One thing that is always interesting is how we adapt to the 'van and how we can adapt the 'van. Our kids loved the 'old' van and love the new Beach too. At the end of the day it is us that own the van and not the other way round. We went to Holland for two weeks this year in the new van and slept in the awning, two girls in the pop top and little boy in the boot, literally! My wife and I had to get used to sleeping back in a tent, but it was a blessing when it hit 40 degrees C for a couple of days. The point is we get so used to having things our own way that when you are forced to compromise on a holiday, but share the burden, it all falls into place and we just have a great time. Our two older kids have learned to look after their little brother at the campsite play parks, and also are responsible when going to the campsite washrooms. We've had to learn how to trust them too, it's not a one way change.

One last thing is the old 5 cylinder engines sound great, and I loved the warble of it when flooring the accelerator. Shame they had to lose them in 2010.

Cheers,
Rupert

Another T4 high top man here. I own a Westfalia California Exclusive (the one with compact lounge, separate kitchen behind, with separate loo compartment behind that).
After coming out of 2 pop tops, this format knocks the side kitchen into a cocked-hat for ME.

I really struggled with the side kitchen layout and just love the Exclusive. The layout and quality is superb. The only downsides are an extra foot of length when parking, the high top limits access a little, and left hand drive, but the camping experience is transformed, and that is what I have the van for.

There are some owners of high tops on the VWt4 forum, but I find I've more in common with the owners here who are more family / camping focused vs. a perhaps younger, modifying crowd on VWt4.

If more T4 owners come-out of the woodwork, perhaps we could have a section here like the Beach owners gained.

I've always thought it a shame that you can't get a California in LWB guise these days that extra "16 would make a world of difference.
Certainly an end kitchen would transform the experience.
I wouldn't want a bathroom though, always thought that was a waste of space in a van that size.

Now that they've extended the California range i wonder if they have any plans for lwb or different layouts etc. Probably don't make enough to warrant it i suppose.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Yep, the LWB on mine, compared to the T4 California Coach is basically an extra cupboard between the fridge and the cooker unit. It's surprising how much difference it seems to make though. We did have a look at a California Club which has the kitchen in the rear and is cheaper than the Exclusive but then, the bed is kind of in the middle of the van which doesn't really suit our needs. It's all down to personal requirements I guess but a big factor in the back of my mind was that If I wanted to stay up on the captains seats with a beer and watching tv (which I very often do), the bed in the California Tour (or Coach) is at the other end of the van far enough away so as not to disturb the missus or the kids above. Plus she sleeps on the window side so I can get to the fridge easily :thumb

Having said that, if I had the money, I'd probably go for the Exclusive as it does look a real stunner inside. Unfortunately, I'd have had to find a min extra 5k looking at the prices they're going for on ebay etc.

And I also agree with Wilupo7, the impression I get on this forum is that it's much more easy-going and more family andcamping orientated. I'm not intending to do any modifications to my van and, in that respect, 95% of the posts on the T4 Forum weren't really relevant.

Maybe I'm getting old......

I did agree about a separate bathroom being a waste of space, but now I've got one, I am becoming a bit of a convert. I was in the 'only use it it emergencies' category, but the whole area is so well laid out, I think it is a real asset. The loo space is 'private' (well as least behind a proper door) and has more leg room than most caravans I've seen. You've a drop down sink above it, and a really large louvered cupboard above, with a socket for your shaver etc. There is also a proper mirror in there too, and room to hang towels and clothes (big wardrobe is just opposite). It becomes a dressing room (without having to draw any curtains).

I'm finding I'm choosing to use the on-board facilities prior to sleeping vs going to the site loos.

I guess what we hardtops all share is the 'smurf' or 'elvis' look.

There has been a thread on here about a new T5 that Westfalia have just launched. In many ways it's similar to the exclusive and club, with some further twists. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4i7SL75YQQQ
Whether this will encourage or deter VW from broadening the range, I'm not sure.

loving the interior of the club joker but as much as I try to like the fixed roof it just does not look right to me? all i can keep thinking about is jeremy clarksons go at a motorhome in top gear

Image.jpg

Never knew there was a T4 California - another thing learned tonight!

Like James says the California goes way way back.
What were the original splitties and t2's called - were they california's?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I think the first California was a T25 Joker (stands to be corrected) but they were made by Westfalia who go back a long way (Bays and T25s...not sure about Splitty's).
For interest to the T5 crowd, the T4 Westfalia California was marketed by VW, comes with a VW manual for the camping kit, and camping parts can be ordered (not always successfully) through VW.
Westfalia were VW's chosen partners for camper conversions of their vans....until they were bought out by competitors of VW; at which point VW decided not to share advance details of their forthcoming T5 van with their competitors, and decided to build the camper version themselves.

If you look at the T4 pop-top, side kitchen Westfalias, you will see where most of the T5 Cali design heritage came from.

I think you are right the t25 or wedge as its fondly known was the first labelled California
Of course westafallia have been converting for many years. In fact I had a t2 westafallia
Which even today is the most sought after conversion mine had the chassis rails all covered up
To make up for the big hole in the roof didn't know they were bought out shame :doh

I love the that T5 club Joker, but in many ways it wont do quite the same job as the T4 california exclusive. Good things to its credit are a much bigger double bed because the T5 is wider at the top and doesn't have such a tent effect at the sides as the T4. The down side is the table area and lack of a bench style seat, which does for many things including 3 across sometimes. Im happy with the high top overhang and I consider it the category look for a big high top camper.

Calikev said:
I think you are right the t25 or wedge as its fondly known was the first labelled California
Of course westafallia have been converting for many years. In fact I had a t2 westafallia
Which even today is the most sought after conversion mine had the chassis rails all covered up
To make up for the big hole in the roof didn't know they were bought out shame :doh

The first California's where a variation on the Westie T25's - interestingly they were badged as GL or American Vanagon despite being european vans (all LHD).

1979 - 1983 The Aircooled Volkswagen Westfalia Joker

1982 - 1985 Volkswagen Westfalia Sport Joker

1983 -1990 Volkswagen Westfalia Mosaik Joker (Self Install Furniture and Fittings)

1984 -1986 The Watercooled Volkswagen Westfalia Joker

1984 Volkswagen Westfalia Jubilee Joker

1984 - 1985 The Watercooled Volkswagen Westfalia Club Joker

1985 - 1986 The Watercooled Volkswagen Westfalia Club Joker

1985 - 1986 Volkswagen Westfalia Top Joker

1985 - 1986 Volkswagen Westfalia Joker Syncro (4x4)

1986 - 1990 The Watercooled Volkswagen Westfalia Joker

1986 - 1990 Volkswagen Westfalia Club Joker

1988 Westfalia Club Van

1988 - 1990 The Watercooled Volkswagen Westfalia California

1988 - 1990 The Watercooled Volkswagen Westfalia Atlantic

You're right that they developed from the joker, but the end of the T25's run there were California's and Atlantic's.

'The Westfalia California was introduced in late 1988 and the Westfalia Atlantic a few months later in mid 1989. As the names might suggest the California was aimed at people using the bus in summer as in standard form it came fitted with single glazing and without an Eberspacher night heater. The Atlantic was aimed more at people who intended to use the bus all year round or in winter conditions as it came in standard form with double glazing and an Eberspacher night heater.'

VW Westfalia California Pop Top

1.6 Litre (1588cc) JX Turbo Diesel 51 Kw 70PS 5 Speed Gearbox 43,969 DM

1.9 Litre (1913cc) DG Petrol 57 Kw 78PS 5 Speed Gearbox 41,354 DM

1.9 Litre (1913cc) DG Petrol 57 Kw 78PS Automatic 43,041 DM

2.1 Litre (2109cc) SS Injection Petrol 68 Kw 92PS 5 Speed Gearbox 44,554 DM

2.1 Litre (2109cc) MV Injection Petrol 70 Kw 95PS Automatic 46,244 DM

VW Westfalia California High Top

1.6 Litre (1588cc) JX Turbo Diesel 51 Kw 70PS 5 Speed Gearbox 46,664 DM

1.9 Litre (1913cc) DG Petrol 57 Kw 78PS 5 Speed Gearbox 44,049 DM

1.9 Litre (1913cc) DG Petrol 57 Kw 78PS Automatic 45,736 DM

2.1 Litre (2109cc) SS Injection Petrol 68 Kw 92PS 5 Speed Gearbox 47,249 DM

2.1 Litre (2109cc) MV Injection Petrol 70 Kw 95PS Automatic 48,939 DM

2) Volkswagen Westfalia California Colour Options

The VW Westfalia California was available in 2 colours.

R1R1 Pastel White (L90D) (Pastellweiss) (with white roof)

H3H3 Marsala Red (LH3D) (Marsalarot) (with red roof)

Source : http://www.westfaliat3.info/html/westfa ... antic.html

If you're buying a T25 an Atlantic is a bit more desirable but a well looked after Cali makes a lot of sense.

James

regarding westfalia california high tops ...there is of course the two berth...t4 california highway ? otherwise known as the compact just selling mine 1995 montana green ( no Elvis !!) smart looking van with sun roof in Montana green !!.... notice currently one similar on motor trader. Next a lez compliant Exclusive soon ... next two weeks!!

Back