Meoncoast

an Ocean by the Sea
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
post in t4 in error

Last edited:
Spotted that you had jumped out of the white underpants brigade!

So what do you think of the change?

There are some pros/cons posts already what is your conclusion about the change? Look forward to read your opinion.

After 62,000 miles since owning our Cali decided to change before new road tax kicks in. Plus we could

Only 250 miles done in the new T6 but my 1st views are :- very happy

• The Cali T6 remains very much the same with internal layout
  • like extra little lights over open tail gate
  • like the non bendy light in roof and 12v plug (lights down power when roof shuts)
  • My view is tent fabric looks stronger and more water proof
  • The plastic cup holder that fits on the table runners - what is that cheap bit of plastic all about
  • dash glove box looks as if it may scratch if care not taken
  • cheap extended warranty
  • adblue - at the pump filling ???
  • Stop Start - working on it worked yesterday not today
Although no oil use on our 180se decided to go for 150 happy with power output and meets my needs.

Last edited:
stop start -- air con set too low to let it work/

still waiting for my new ocean.

Do you feel the 150 is slower than the old 180hp?

I have ordered a 150DSG but have nevet tried it;)

• The plastic cup holder that fits on the table runners - what is that cheap bit of plastic all about?
According to Loz Jr. the Starbucks reusable, insulated, frapachino? Cup fits perfectly in it!?!
With a screw on lid, its perfect for use on the move.
71Atdo%2BOLaL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Do you feel the 150 is slower than the old 180hp?

It must be but I can not say I feel any loss by having gone for 150. We do "motor" on the motorway by tend not to do a Stig. Loads of overtaking power on the move.

I've noticed that lots of people are dead set on overtaking me since they either see a van or a motor home. "Got to get in front, got to go in front", then as I put my foot down they lose the will. ;)

... message ends...

Last edited:
After 62,000 miles since owning our Cali decided to change before new road tax kicks in. Plus we could

Only 250 miles done in the new T6 but my 1st views are :- very happy

• The Cali T6 remains very much the same with internal layout
  • like extra little lights over open tail gate
  • like the non bendy light in roof and 12v plug (lights down power when roof shuts)
  • My view is tent fabric looks stronger and more water proof
  • The plastic cup holder that fits on the table runners - what is that cheap bit of plastic all about
  • dash glove box looks as if it may scratch if care not taken
  • cheap extended warranty
  • adblue - at the pump filling ???
  • Stop Start - working on it worked yesterday not today
Although no oil use on our 180se decided to go for 150 happy with power output and meets my needs.
Stop/Start is dependent on a few factors such as air con running, batteries on charge, cold engine etc.
I find it a pain in my BMW as it stops when at a give way junction if I hesitate a second to double check, Hoping the Cali has a bit more delayed stop/start function.
Also worries me that it stops even when just come up a slip road after a long motorway run, when the engine & turbo are very hot. Turbo failures are often caused by not letting them cool before switching the engine off.

All very good for you saying "...we could" , this means you could affort it .
But how much did you put on top afther selling the T5 and is that money worth the things that are difrent/better on the T6?

If i could sell my 2012 SE at the prices i see likewise Cali's advertised here in Belgium (thats assuming they sell at the asking price!) , i still need at least 20 000€ to put on top ....and "i could ";)
But in my opinion the price of the T6 has gone up to much compared the changes you get.
I would have a brand new Cali zero km under warrenty ...OK , but still i think it's better to run a young T5 some longer.
Yours was a bit older then '12 also i guess

All very good for you saying "...we could" , this means you could affort it .
But how much did you put on top afther selling the T5 and is that money worth the things that are difrent/better on the T6?

If i could sell my 2012 SE at the prices i see likewise Cali's advertised here in Belgium (thats assuming they sell at the asking price!) , i still need at least 20 000€ to put on top ....and "i could ";)
But in my opinion the price of the T6 has gone up to much compared the changes you get.
I would have a brand new Cali zero km under warrenty ...OK , but still i think it's better to run a young T5 some longer.
Yours was a bit older then '12 also i guess
That's a problem with any vehicle replacement, the cost of the upgrade, but if you look at it from the before taxes it is easier to explain/justify. In UK figures.
Take a new Cali at £60,000 less VAT would be £50,000 less VED & registration fees would be (currently about another £300. Net price approx £49,700.
Sell your old Cali for £30,000 needing £19,700 but then have to hand over £10,300 to the Government.
Green taxes and addition production costs for Euro6 have added to the cost of a T6.

Other problem is that the longer the time scale the more the cost of replacement gap gets.

Cali has the benefit of depreciating to a certain level and then pretty much staying there.

On first considering a Cali I was quite surprised at the cost of 'only a van conversion'. I'm sure that many of the van converted camper owners wish that they could join the "i could" Cali owner's club.

Last edited:
This is one of those subjects (new or old) that is different for everyone.

There will always be those who buy new for what ever reason and likewise always those who will buy second hand (old or older). What non of us should forget is that without either of these types of buyers there would be no market. So we need each other, and we should be happy about that:).

I am sure the new owner of our old Cali will and I hope have as much enjoyment with the van as we had since 2012. I would have been happy to carry on camping in it but being in a position to replace with the back up of a warranty we went for a replacement. Do not know what a Cali will cost in another 5 or 6 years.
Plus I know Camper van life works for us and I am not buy now and trading in after 1 holiday

the T5 and is that money worth the things that are difrent/better on the T6?
not about this for me it is about trading up to a new van for the next few years 62000miles replace with new, It worked out for us to do now.

VW make T6 now so buying a new van = T6 buy default.

Last edited:
As a Newbee to Cali ownership it's people like you (changing old for new) that helped inspire me to take the plunge both in lifestyle and financial commitment.
Thanks, enjoy and well done

Congratulations on your new van! :thumb

That's a problem with any vehicle replacement, the cost of the upgrade, but if you look at it from the before taxes it is easier to explain/justify. In UK figures.
Take a new Cali at £60,000 less VAT would be £50,000 less VED & registration fees would be (currently about another £300. Net price approx £49,700.
Sell your old Cali for £30,000 needing £19,700 but then have to hand over £10,300 to the Government.
Green taxes and addition production costs for Euro6 have added to the cost of a T6.

Other problem is that the longer the time scale the more the cost of replacement gap gets.

Cali has the benefit of depreciating to a certain level and then pretty much staying there.

On first considering a Cali I was quite surprised at the cost of 'only a van conversion'. I'm sure that many of the van converted camper owners wish that they could join the "i could" Cali owner's club.
Well for me at least, the "cost of replacement gap" does now raise an interesting question:

IMO, a combination of the now almost certain substantial VW California price hikes coming down the pipeline along with the recent price increases and the massive new VED tax implications from April will send the price of new Cali ownership spiralling sharply upwards. Upwards from what is already an eye wateringly high price to pay for a new camper van, albeit a very nice gold standard one. For how much longer will potential purchasers consider it worth while to part with their hard earned cash/savings to buy a California?

When we purchased our new T5 SE in 2015, it was with the intension of replacing it just before the end of it's warrantee period with a new vehicle of the same specification. Given that a new vehicle will only ever do almost exactly the same thing as our current one does, I doubt if I will consider the by then, very high "cost of replacement gap" to be worth it.

Yes, I know that there will always be some people who will buy something regardless of cost, often mainly because of it's badge but surely there has to be a ceiling above which the average Cali purchaser considers it to have become just too expensive for what it is?

As a result, will there will be an increase in the less expensive Beach sales and a corresponding decrease in the numbers of full fat Oceans sold? Perhaps not.

Last edited:
Now here's a thought. Given the forthcoming VED tax increases along with recent and future VW price rises, has the Cali

Well for me at least, the "cost of replacement gap" does now raise an interesting question:

IMO, a combination of the now almost certain substantial VW California price hikes coming down the pipeline along with the recent price increases and the massive new VED tax implications from April will send the price of new Cali ownership spiralling sharply upwards. Upwards from what is already an eye wateringly high price to pay for a new camper van, albeit a very nice gold standard one. For how much longer will potential purchasers consider it worth while to part with their hard earned cash/savings to buy a California?

When we purchased our new T5 SE in 2015, it was with the intension of replacing it just before the end of it's warrantee period with a new vehicle of the same specification. Given that a new vehicle will only ever do almost exactly the same thing as our current one does, I doubt if I will consider the by then, very high "cost of replacement gap" to be worth it.

Yes, I know that there will always be some people who will buy something regardless of cost, often mainly because of it's badge but surely there has to be a ceiling above which the average Cali purchaser considers it to have become just too expensive for what it is?

As a result, will there will be an increase in the less expensive Beach sales and a corresponding decrease in the numbers of full fat Oceans sold? Perhaps not.
Very interesting point about price rises, VED and future "cost of replacement gap" but are you not comparing that with todays second hand values? Surely these will harden because of that gap? i.e. more people who would buy new today will consider more seriously a second hand Cali and create more demand and hence that hardening of prices I mentioned above. I wouldn't be too quick to think this is all doom and gloom. Markets always react to changing economic circumstance. For example I would not be surprised if come July/August this year with another price increase from VW already imposed if you could not sell a Cali bought before December (16) increase for very close to what you paid for it - worth thinking about?

VED costs on a new T6 bought after 1st April 2017 will be

£800 for first year, £450 per year for the following 5 years. Total = £3,050

VED based on current figures £230 per year for 6 years = £1,380

Buying a new T6 after April will add £570 to the on the road price then £220 more per year for the next 5 years than if bought during March.

These figures assume no VED hikes in the mean time.

One thing to note is that the rate is based on List Price of a vehicle not any discounted price. No room for concocted invoices.

VED costs on a new T6 bought after 1st April 2017 will be

£800 for first year, £450 per year for the following 5 years. Total = £3,050

VED based on current figures £230 per year for 6 years = £1,380

Buying a new T6 after April will add £570 to the on the road price then £220 more per year for the next 5 years than if bought during March.

These figures assume no VED hikes in the mean time.

One thing to note is that the rate is based on List Price of a vehicle not any discounted price. No room for concocted invoices.

It is interesting that the Cali is nearly unique (obviously MB will be the other exception soon.) in that the manufacturer is the converter and records the CO2 grm/km figure on the certificate of conformity that ensures it is taxed with regard to its emissions.
Most other motor home/camper converters avoid stating this figure and are thus taxed as special vehicles and will not pay the new VED rates at all after April, remaining on £230 without the over £40,000 supplement being imposed, unless this anomaly is addressed it will put both VW and MB at a severe disadvantage and ensure owners of recent build Oceans/Beaches are in clover.

It is interesting that the Cali is nearly unique (obviously MB will be the other exception soon.) in that the manufacturer is the converter and records the CO2 grm/km figure on the certificate of conformity that ensures it is taxed with regard to its emissions.
Most other motor home/camper converters avoid stating this figure and are thus taxed as special vehicles and will not pay the new VED rates at all after April, remaining on £230 without the over £40,000 supplement being imposed, unless this anomaly is addressed it will put both VW and MB at a severe disadvantage and ensure owners of recent build Oceans/Beaches are in clover.
From what I can find on categories of tax Government information it looks like all cars and light commercial vehicles have been put into this £40,000 surcharge category.
The dividing point being at 3.5 tonnes GVW. LGV's & HGV's come under a different regime.

My previous Motorhome was rated at 3.5 Tonnes so I would think that all small Motorhomes will fall foul of this change, as would any converted new Campervan.
Looks like even a T6 Van with a higher spec if over the £40K will go into the higher VED category,.
It should be possible to buy a new van, then at a later date have it converted but you wouldn't have a genuine 'Cali' and probably spend nearly as much.

Last edited:
Back